Fallen Matriarch (LoZ:TP:Midna's Desperation)

Khryst

This is my first remix, so I figured I'd do a popular song from a popular game. It's a rock version, still in need of huge improvements.

Obvious Flaws in Version 1:

‡ Guitar tones are "bleh". Real-life guitars sound horrid through my recorder, so I settled for tweaked digital instruments, which don't sound good either. Not much room to work there.

‡ Too much repetition.

‡ Very similar to the original: I changed the accomp. chords, but for the most part the song's structure is still very much intact, dimming the originality.

‡ Too short.

Link: [ http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/30/1889921/midna.mp3 ]

|<hrys†

Too short? Not really... I mean, you could extend it, but being a little over 3 minutes is fine for a remix. Black Winged Metamorphasis - perfect example. As for the repetition... it's fine up until a little past halfway, where it just goes through the same thing over and over with some changes in the guitar line, right up until the end portion. Yeah, originality would help in this case. Rather than just having the guitar lines change on the second time through that theme... change the whole thing at that point so that it strays from original song's structure. However, stylistically, keep it similar, whether it switches back to acoustic or keeps the same rock feel. After that, feel free to do whatever you want.

Only other thing I can really dig into is the electric guitar line itself. Up until it changes on the repeated section, the part is actually kind of repetitive in itself. Additionally, it sticks out a little bit over the main choral leads. I noticed it replaces the original piano part, but it's naturally a much harsher instrument, and it's not like it's an acoustic guitar that'd better support the line. So change that entire line such that it's similar to what the piano part was, but put some more originality into it. Considering this is a rock arrangement, it should be more like either a harmony or a counter-melody. Right now, it's a support... which makes no sense (that is, up until the repeat). There's some other issues in the arrangement as a whole, but I think it's best to work on all the larger flaws you have right now before centering into those (besides, I'm not good at pointing those out in rock style music).

It's a really cool approach at this theme and something I never expected to see out of it. So work primarily on the repetition and originality issues. Too short? That's never a problem in the early WIP stage. I'd really like to see this well refined and eventually finished at a high quality in the near future (or maybe a little later... depending on how long it takes you). Keep up to good work!

*reads first remix* Wait, seriously? I've heard a LOT of first remixes... and this is one of the best of those. Kudos to ye on a great job thus far.