Sonic The Hedgehog 2 HD

Sir_NutS

This could be an honor to the previous generation. It's possible, as long as they don't try to soup it up too much.

Looks impressive, hope it actually comes out, unlike the Chrono Trigger update we saw a few years back (ol Square put out a cease and desist order on them).

To redo Chrono Trigger is to do two things: 1. Do the best thing ever, or 2. Disgrace the fathers of video games.

-Necessary disassembly and programming is done (HUGE task, much more difficult than the vector graphics trickling in now)

I don't think you realize that this is the Sonic hacking community doing the work. Simply put, the coding is less a matter of capability and more a matter of just getting it done. Getting all of the graphics done is the real obstacle.

I don't think you realize that this is the Sonic hacking community doing the work. Simply put, the coding is less a matter of capability and more a matter of just getting it done. Getting all of the graphics done is the real obstacle.

I don't think you realize how bad an idea questioning my computer science knowledge is.

A deep understanding of how the m68k assembler of the Genesis works - which these folks do indeed have - is but the first step in the process of porting an entire physics engine from disassembled Genesis code to the PC platform, which is to be in C++ from what I read on their site. It would be a lot easier if they were to write the physics from scratch, but since they're going for 100% replication, the task is much, much harder.

Show me a playable demo with 100% replicated physics, and I'll be very, very impressed - by the time that's a possibility the game will be close to completion. Show me a few vector graphics images and "We plan to do this and have qualified people to do it" and it's nothing to write home about. Being able to make the game is still almost all of the work away from actually making it, though it is more progress than most fan projects get.

All of this, still, assumes that SEGA doesn't interfere.

--Drack, fourth year Computer Science major at Georgia Institute of Technology

Right, I know it's Don Quixote, but I definitely see a face on the windmill in the foreground, formed out of the two men and their horses. That's while sober. I don't see how it could be anything but deliberate, but I was hoping you might have inside information.

Oh CRAP!!! I just saw it! That freaked me out...

Wait, so those aren't the tracks for this project? Then who's this LewieP retard that linked to that page in his blog?

I honestly have no idea. I think racketboy linked to that page with the bad soundtrack in his haste to spread the word, resulting in us getting dugg and on Kotaku all within 3 days, despite the project not even being done yet (or even relatively close).

And, of course, since everybody blogged out the racketboy article, allllll of the inaccuracy came with it. If it's caused such a huge misunderstanding here, I can't imagine how much worse it can be other places.

I've asked racketboy multiple times to review the post he made, but he has not. This is getting irritating.

Yes, yes. These are worlds better.

Same question about Hidden Palace, though. Are we going to see that? And if so, what does this mean for Wood Zone and other such beta zones?

I know you're going to for the traditional though updated look for all in-game graphics, but what about the ending FMV? I ask because I stumbled across this. You may want to contact the guy.

Yes, yes. These are worlds better.

Same question about Hidden Palace, though. Are we going to see that? And if so, what does this mean for Wood Zone and other such beta zones?

I know you're going to for the traditional though updated look for all in-game graphics, but what about the ending FMV? I ask because I stumbled across this. You may want to contact the guy.

Wow, cool find, Pez. That video isn't too over-the-top, but there is some nice camera work.

Whoa, I've been looking at this this site the whole time.

yeah totally not impressed with the mp3 versions of the tunes, not only are they just midi rips but i hate using basic audio versions of intruments that sound pretty much nothing like real intruments, sounds absoltuly rubbish imo :P my sky chase zone is miles better than theirs :P should get an OCR team on the job :P

also haha that s2 ending video is pretty cool :D

I always thought it was sillier to have a level song without a level to play it in.

Don't suppose you'll be emulating the dying bugs too, will you?

If the engine is a direct port like we're planning, then yes, any bugs will still remain unless we explicitly fix them. =P

Also, Psychog13 isn't very good at reading topics. :(

If the engine is a direct port like we're planning, then yes, any bugs will still remain unless we explicitly fix them. =P

Well I'd request that you consider doing so.

Also, any word on the potential of including that FMV? I know details would have to be worked out, but is the IDEA of doing so one that the creators would be interested in?

The FMV has been brought up numerous times. Ultimately, it's not really fitting in with the project's focus; however, we are working on a hand-drawn, animated version of the ending which may turn out much better. It's just an idea at the moment, but it's certainly a possibility.