OCR01707 - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "In the Darkness of Time"

Great playing, there are some killer guitar runs in this, and some great riffing as well. I agree that the snare is a bit loud, and i'd have preferred a drier sound on the rhythm guitars to be able to hear the nuances a bit better, but it's still pretty hot stuff.

Arrangement is great, with a lot of great segue sections, and the textures are mixed up nicely with the organ parts.

Very rocking, i give it 4 miserable little piles of secrets out of 4!

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the comments. In fact, once a year or so I even check old songs for new comments, so feel free to leave them, even unto the end of time.

<-- shameless attention whore

I only wish I could get a song out there more often. Actually, in time I hope to simplify my life so that I can do just that... but I'll probably just recomplicate it after a short period. What can you do?

I rather liked the snares that loud. They may be a TAD too loud but not by much at all.

LOL I put this on my Sansa and blast it through an FM transmitter whilst driving from one location at my work to another, which would be quite a bit on monday mornings. Its already 10 til 10 and I'm still not done making my driving rounds.

I think it sounds simply devine in the car. Very solid and good'n LOUD, just like I like it.

Hey Rize.... Dude don't stop making the rock remixes of CV tracks. Rude awakening rocked my face off as well as this one. If you want a good simple track to remix do "Original sin" next. It's a simple tune DYING for a guitar in it. YOU'RE MY FREAKIN HERO!!!

My only complaint is that my speakers are turned all the way up and I still don't feel it's loud enough. Other than that, solid on the arrangement and the killer guitar. Keep it up - I hear where you're coming from with the complicated life, but don't let it drag you down, alright?

• 1 year later...

I am really feeling this. I love that it totally could have gone cheesy, but didn't. The treatment of the theme is extremely well done, but then, Castlevania songs always seem like they were written with rocking solos in mind somehow.

I actually expected this mix to attract a fair bit more attention than this. I very much hope people aren't snubbing it just because it isn't from a NES Castlevania.

This is right up there with the best of the metal mixes on the site for me. It's not overplayed, it sounds like it put arrangement as top priority and overall, it just sounds masterful. Rize shows everyone how much you can improve if you just take a 6 year break every now and then.

• 6 years later...

The percussion sounds a little too drowned out/in the background (mostly the cymbal hits). Not sure if that should change, though - I'd say it helps me appreciate the liberal change-up at 1:34-1:42, which is a fitting area to mix up and disperse more energy. Really digging the interpretations at 1:52 and 2:11, and it's fun to hear the highest guitar notes kinda screech/wail at the tails of melodic phrases (e.g. 0:52, 1:02, 2:41) - always a welcome bit of character.

Doesn't go a great number of places, but it's still a wild ride visiting them.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01707 - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow "In the Darkness of Time"