OCR Fit Club (Summer Session)

Steben

Is biking a good way to get in shape?

I only ask because. im getting better. and as going to the gym. biking to school, and biking home after comming from the gym.

So yeah, just wondering. short distance though, since its like MAYBE a qrter mile from the school

Is biking a good way to get in shape?

I only ask because. im getting better. and as going to the gym. biking to school, and biking home after comming from the gym.

So yeah, just wondering. short distance though, since its like MAYBE a qrter mile from the school

I'm a huge fan of biking (about 3 months out of the year I do endurance cycling, but not super-hardcore), but the problem with biking is the same problem with running or any other single excercise: doing only one thing (or predominantly one thing) can make you really good at that one thing, but unless you keep it constantly varied you'll lose strength in other athletic modes. I guess, it also somewhat depends on what your ultimate goal is. In a nutshell, as long as it's not your only means of excercise, it definitely can't hurt your general fitness and is also a great means of transportation.

I'm a huge fan of biking (about 3 months out of the year I do endurance cycling, but not super-hardcore), but the problem with biking is the same problem with running or any other single excercise: doing only one thing (or predominantly one thing) can make you really good at that one thing, but unless you keep it constantly varied you'll lose strength in other athletic modes. I guess, it also somewhat depends on what your ultimate goal is. In a nutshell, as long as it's not your only means of excercise, it definitely can't hurt your general fitness and is also a great means of transportation.

One thing i question, Just biking around the neighbor hood for a good 15-30 mins or so, on days when im not at the gym is good? (I choose biking over running)

The past week or so has been great; my routines have really been comming together, my rings strength has been improving tremendously, and I'm finally building up enough endurance to make it through a full floor routine.

Unfortunately, I came up short on a rollout skill this morning. Managed to get my head under so I (barely) avoided any serious head/neck injuries (aside from a good hard slam on the back of the head), but I jarred my shoulder pretty badly. Definitely done for the day, and maybe done for the rest of the week.

EDIT: I figure I'll probably know tomorrow morning how bad it really is. Either it will be completely fine like nothing happenned, or I won't be able to move my right arm at all.

EDIT 2: Shoulder feels a lot better today, but I'm taking the day off from training at the gym just to be safe. Went for a 3 mile jog this morning, and it felt great.

So one of my guys saw Danny Rodrigues on rings at the olympics, thought the front uprise to victorian was the coolest thing ever, and has been working obsessively to try to get a victorian ever since. The scary part: I think he might actually get it.

Same student also cooked up a new exercise on rings that I'll probably be incorporating into my workouts from now on. It's a muscle up followed by a slow decent with straight arms (ie through a cross) back to a hang.

Started getting in the Gym as of today, and let me tell you, just after about an hour in the gym. (Which is all i have time for after school) I feel great, makes me want to do it as much as I possibly can. Worked on my legs. lower body, and arms :]. I feel amazing.

is it restricted to gymnastics? I ask not that I care about what workout I do, but that I don't have any of the equipment: rings, hoops, bars, etc.

Most of it is stuff that can be done either with no equipment or with a set of rings; and they sell a cheap set on that same site.

My crosses were feeling great today. I'm making some minor changes to my rings routine to fit with the new code of points. Here's my current routine:

Back uprise to cross

Press to planche

Drop, giant to handstand

Bail forward, back uprise planche (needs work; I can do it to a straddle planche, but I need to get it to straight body planche)

Press to inverted cross (still needs work; it's not consistent yet)

Bail, back uprise to pike support

Straight arm, straight body press handstand

Giant

Double layout (needs work)

Start value: 15.9

My goal:

Azarian (backward roll to cross)

Press to maltese

Press to planche

Drop, giant to handstand

Bail, piked Yamawaki (a double front while holding onto the rings)

Tucked Yamawaki

Back uprise planche

Press to inverted cross

Front giant OR pullout to handstand from the inverted cross

Full twisting double layout OR double-twisting double tuck

Start value: 16.3 with a double lay full, 16.4 with a tucked double double

Bah, I've gotten weaker ever since the sickness. I am slowly getting back into it. I realize now that I still might not have recovered 100% as I get dehydrated very easily. I am working on it.

>_>;

Im just comming out of a cold. I have had a terrible cold for about 2 weeks, which set me back from getting in the gym. now, i just have an irratated throat, and a not so bad cough. Im well enough to be in the gym, Drink lots of water, and eat well :P

I've backed off a bit on the intensity of my training lately, but I'm still working out every day.

At this point, I have everything I need for competition in January; I just need to remain uninjured and workout enough to avoid losing any skills between now and then.

The only exception is vault; I still need to get some harder vaults than what I have now (or rather I need to get my hard vaults consistent)

Whoever thought it'd be a good idea to maufacture pullup bars with a soft wrapping needs to be slapped in the back of the head. Two blood blisters and a torn callous since grip cannot be maintained during high intensity workouts which include high rep pullups on that sort of bar. Gonna be all false-grip pullups for the next week, until the hand heals.

Yikes! How many weeks have gone by and I haven't posted?

So sorry, amigos, I got distracted and my computer broke down and stuff. I was walking a bit more, getting into better shape, but then I lost my job about a month back and I don't get as much excercise per day. I've been knocked a few notches backwards, and I'm really considering the military. That'd put me in shape. Hm...well, I think I'm gonna go for that.

I'm setting a new personal goal, folks! I'm even gonna put this down on my cell phone, to wake up every morning and go running, even if only for ten minutes, if I can keep going that long. Wish me luck fellas, I'm gonna try to get in shape asap so I can join the military.

Yeah I know these sudden decisions don't hold much water, so I'm gonna need some help staying focused. If you guys wanna help me out, just remind me now and then not to give up. I need a job and I need to be in shape. So...really, seriously, wish me luck.

Oh, and it is safe now to put me back on the active roster.

Had a killer workout this morning. My crosses are getting consistently flat, and my malteses are getting better and more consistent.

I did a 2 minute strength set on a ring machine (rings attatched through a pulley to a spotting belt, so you only have to lift half your weight): 30 seconds in a victorian, 30 seconds in a cross, 30 seconds in a maltese, and 30 seconds in an inverted cross. It felt great, my shoulders were dead by the end of it all.

Then, after a lunch break, went through most of my usual workout; 360 pulls, rotator cuff pulls, dips, inverted rowers, splits (left leg split is getting closer and closer to flat), pike and pancake stretches, and various shoulder stretches.