OCR Fit Club (Summer Session)

Steben

Well, other people are posting what they did today, so why not me. I went for about an hour long bike ride today. I would normally go longer, but my ass is still getting reaquainted with riding a bike, and since I never really broke in my new bike properly in the fall. I stopped at a playground as well and did the frogstance and attempted the tuck front lever. I doubt it will be too long before I can move on from the frogstance, but I can't even properly do the tuck front lever. It'll take a while before I work up the strength to pull it off.

This evening I also went to a climbing wall at the University. We got there 20 minutes before closing so that's all the climbing we got in, but it was still a great upper body workout.

On the schedule for tomorrow is a good run during the day, and Brazillian Jiu Jutsu in the evening.

A good way to work a tucked front lever is to start from an inverted tuck and work your way down. In an inverted tuck, your hips are almost right above your shoulders; when you find the balance point, it takes very little strength at all to hold it there. You can then start lowering your hips towards a tucked front lever. As you get stronger, you can hold the position with your hips lower and lower until they reach the same height as your shoulders -- a true tucked front lever.

A good way to work a tucked front lever is to start from an inverted tuck and work your way down. In an inverted tuck, your hips are almost right above your shoulders; when you find the balance point, it takes very little strength at all to hold it there. You can then start lowering your hips towards a tucked front lever. As you get stronger, you can hold the potition with your hips lower and lower until they reach the same height as your shoulders -- a true tucked front lever.

Thanks, I'll try that. I know I can do an inverted tuck, but I hadn't thought about building up to the tucked front lever from that.

Well, I hope I'm not to late to join.

Actually Monday night I weighted myself and I was 198lbs. I was incredibly happy, you have no idea. I haven't been less than 200lbs since high school.

When I started exercising last year (October 2007) I was 230lbs.

So I think I've come a long way, but I still have 20lbs more to go.

Anyways...

GOAL

I'm 5'11" and 198. My goal is to go down to 175/180lbs. I don't know my body fat percentage, but I know most of my fat is in my belly :P

THE PLAN

Diet:

Ill try to consume less carbs, but not cut it completely as they are very important part of a balanced diet.

No more fast food for me, of course. And ill try to consume 100% of the fiber I should consume in a day, my mother say that it will help my metabolism move faster.

Exercise:

Well, the gym I go to is at the Yatch club of my apartment building (a min away from home) and its really good. We dont really pay for it, because its included in the maintenance fee we pay every month.

The gym has every cardio machine, but the rowing one (which is my favorite). Also has free weights, flat bench and many more I dont know the names of. I also befriended the trainer there so she helps me for free :P

Well... Into the plan... What I usually do is:

I get there, I do 30 heavy (I mean that I go fast, at the rhythm of John '00' Flemming :P) mins of elliptical machine.

And then 30 more mins of free weights, usually flat bench because I love it :P, I also work out my arms, triceps, shoulders, back and lower back.

I try not to do more than 1hr. That why someone recommended me some time ago.

Now... should I do the cardio before or after the weight training?

And again sorry for joining so late, but I do want to participate.

Because I want to be able to go to the beach and just take my shirt off and feel perfectly comfortable with that. Something I've never been able to enjoy. :oops:

PS: Anyone knows any way I can practice rowing in a cheaper way. I have checked prices here in South FL and the are VERY expensive :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, Im going to the gym at least 3 times a week, but I plan to make it at least 5. I also quit smoking and I have been smoke free for 3 weeks :)

A good way to work a tucked front lever is to start from an inverted tuck and work your way down. In an inverted tuck, your hips are almost right above your shoulders; when you find the balance point, it takes very little strength at all to hold it there. You can then start lowering your hips towards a tucked front lever. As you get stronger, you can hold the potition with your hips lower and lower until they reach the same height as your shoulders -- a true tucked front lever.

At five in the morning, with less than five hours of sleep, I saw a lot of 'fuck' in that post.

Anyway, there's a good rain going on. I'm goin' for it, though. Wish me luck.

edit: Epic failure. The rain discouraged me. I didn't want to get sick, but I went out anyway. I took the car and dropped it off about a half-mile away from Wal-mart, picked up a couple things there, then walked back and stopped at McDee's for some breakfast burritos. I got in about a mile's worth of walking, AND I countered it with breakfast. No good.

Now... should I do the cardio before or after the weight training?

It's never too late to join something like this. I'd definitely recommend you keep doing cardio before weights since it helps to warm up the muscles and prevent injury, and the best workout is an injury free one.

And congratulations on quitting smoking. I'm sure it's not an easy habit to kick, but keep at it.

Over the past week, I've had 3ish hours of practice per day, with different workouts each one. One day was 3 X 8 minute pieces, rowing 100% for 45 seconds, off for 15. This gets harder than you'd think, cause even when you get the time off, picking the boat back up to speed with the other 7 guys is a challenge. Also did 4 minute pieces, which is about 2/3rds of a race. I know it sounds short but due to the intensity of the sport, it kicks your ass really fast. Still grindin'.. at the beginning of next week I'll be starting my weight training and static holds, i'm excited!

Well, I hope I'm not to late to join.

Sure aren't. Welcome!

Hey, good job on keeping away from the cancer sticks. Part of your check-ins should include if you smoked or not in the past week... that way, if you're honest, you'll know you can't sneak a smoke without anyone knowing.

Speaking of which, everyone, this day-to-day posting of your exercise is great. 'Keeps the thread alive and everyone involved. I am going to ask, for my own convenience, that on the weekends when I check up on everyone, if you could repost your week's activities (or summarize them) in a single post, so I won't have to jump around the thread trying to find everything.

These check-ins should happen roughly Friday-Sunday, though I'll understand if you need to post early or late depending on, y'know, real life. If you need to miss a check-in, shoot me a PM letting me know what's up so I won't think you went AWOL.

I'll PM everyone on Friday to remind them of all this. It's great to see so much participation!

Steben, what you could do if you wanted is make a specific thread for weekly checkins, and have this be the general chat thread, for if someone wanted to share their story from a certain day or whatever. Its just a thought but it might make your life easier!

PS: Anyone knows any way I can practice rowing in a cheaper way. I have checked prices here in South FL and the are VERY expensive :(

Now don't go crazy on me, but have you considered joining an actual rowing club? I'm a rower myself and while rowing on a machine gets you fit, there's nothing like doing the real thing, and you may be surprised at some of the prices you'll find when joining a club. I don't know about Florida of course, but not only will you get the workout, but you'll learn the proper technique and really be able to get something out of it.

Edit: sorry for doublepost!

Okay today was awesome. I did some peripheral heart action circuit resistance training today (which is just alternating upper and lower extremities in a circuit fashion).

It was a basic basic bench press and squat (both with raw weight) and adding more resistance each set. I did this about 3-4 times. After that I tried some planche hold stuff in the aerobic room and it felt great.

Then I climbed 200 floors via a StairMaster at a slowly but constantly accelerating rate. Without stopping. I've never climbed that many steps in my life. Approx 4.2 miles of stairs. *_*

I'm toast.

Now don't go crazy on me, but have you considered joining an actual rowing club? I'm a rower myself and while rowing on a machine gets you fit, there's nothing like doing the real thing, and you may be surprised at some of the prices you'll find when joining a club. I don't know about Florida of course, but not only will you get the workout, but you'll learn the proper technique and really be able to get something out of it.

Well, about 8 years ago, I joined a rowing back in my country. And I even made the team, but my parents didn't want me to join because they wanted me to focus on my studies. :(

I loved the sport, but in this country is a lot more expensive.

I just checked prices and is $60/month, I think I can afford it. How is it over there where you live?

Steben, what you could do if you wanted is make a specific thread for weekly checkins, and have this be the general chat thread, for if someone wanted to share their story from a certain day or whatever. Its just a thought but it might make your life easier!

I hadn't thought of that... but I don't think the mods would appreciate us flooding the Competitions forum with a bunch of OCR Fit threads. For now, we'll just do it in this thread, although I might adjust how things are run in the future.

Well, about 8 years ago, I joined a rowing back in my country. And I even made the team, but my parents didn't want me to join because they wanted me to focus on my studies. :(

I loved the sport, but in this country is a lot more expensive.

I just checked prices and is $60/month, I think I can afford it. How is it over there where you live?

Its a little less, I happen to be lucky that in my town all the people who row are rediculously rich and donate money so the flat rate isn't as high. Probably around 40/month for me, it changes depending. But yeah, if you've rowed before you know as well as me, it can be awesome, and awesome exercise. Let me know what you decide.

Well I've gotten myself into a fine mess. Excercise will have to be postponed (at least for the most part) I have a deep laceration in my right thumb that requires little to no work done in order for it to heal. I can't even get into work until Friday. Wish me luck fellas.

Its a little less, I happen to be lucky that in my town all the people who row are rediculously rich and donate money so the flat rate isn't as high. Probably around 40/month for me, it changes depending. But yeah, if you've rowed before you know as well as me, it can be awesome, and awesome exercise. Let me know what you decide.

Well, I decided to go tomorrow and check the place out.

Ill talk to the dudes in the and then decide. I'll probably do it.

Had a great workout today. I went for a run this afternoon. I'm managing about 3/4 of what I was able to do last year, admittedly at a slightly slower pace, but I'm doing better than when I ran for the first time in a while last week. I think finally putting the effort into eating healthy all day every day is helping my stamina again. I suppose the 25 extra pounds I'm carrying doesn't help either, but still, I'm getting back to where I was.

This evening I also went to Jiu Jutsu. We did about 20 minutes of warm up, 20-30 minutes drilling technique, and then maybe 30 minutes of sparring. We cut class a little short today, but we got in four solid rounds. Jiu Jutsu is easily one of the best strength and muscle endurance workouts I know of. My muscles always feel exhausted at the end of it, since you're pretty much constantly trying to get into a good position against the other guy and get a submission on them which often takes as much strength as it does skill. Even though I was exhausted in the end, I still felt like sparring some more.

As for tomorrow, it'll be bike riding with the planches and levers, then either rock climbing or the gym in the evening. Haven't decided yet.

Anyway.. I did a DDR workout today for ~45 mins, worked in some songs above my level to stress myself a bit. I think I'm gonna wait a couple weeks before hitting the gym just to get my body back into the swing of things.

Back in '04 I became a DDR demon and lost ~70 lbs - from 230ish-160ish. I also drastically changed my diet as well, but I was doing...hmm...I was doing it on workout mode and with Maxx2 did the 20 song-in-a-row thing.

My own progress report for this friendly fit competition though:

So far this week I've done weight routines twice - once on Monday, once yesterday. I think I overdid it on Monday as I was still a bit sore yesterday so I toned it down a bit and I think I've found a groove, so to speak.

On Tuesday I started the walk/jog part and did it again yesterday. However, I fear I overdid that as well on Tuesday as yesterday my legs were sore every time I'd go up and down stairs and I wasn't able to maintain a steady jog for any goodly amount of time. So I took today off. Tomorrow I'll go back to the lake and hit the irons. To tell you the truth, I don't know if it's psychological or what, but yesterday and today my pants felt a little looser...

So I just remembered a new goal that I actually had set for resolution.

To comfortably fit in my new jeans (34 inches to the waist) and to be able to use the new belt I bought from Guess with is also a 34.

So far the jeans fit, but not to comfy. And the belt also fits, but not the way it should :P

I probably need to loose another 2 inches on my waist.

Today at the gym I burnt 470 cals. on the Elliptical machine in 32mins. And yesterday I burnt 450.

My Problem is that after Im done with the cardio I run out of ideas of what to do really quickly so I just hit the flat bench :P

Ill just stick to cardio every day. Im sure thats gonna help a lot, that and a more balance diet should suffice for now, right?

Weekend Check-In

Alright, well, I'll start us off. My graduation is tomorrow, so I won't really have time to check-in later this weekend.

I kept up with a text file all week, so this should be easy...

Typical weight training rep:

- Lat pulldowns, 8 @ 130 lbs.

- leg press, 8 @ 230 lbs.

- row machine, 8 @ 130 lbs.

- calf press, 8 @ 230 lbs.

- chest press, 8 @ 130 lbs.

- lunges, 8/leg

- free weights, 8/arm @ 25 lbs.

Saturday May 3

- 1.5 cups Raisin Bran (dry), 300 calories

- Two ham sandwiches (plain), 250 calories

- Foot long sweet onion teriyaki Subway sub with cheese and sweet onion dressing, 800 calories

- Coors Light, 100 calories

Total: 1450 calories

Sunday May 4

- 2 pieces toast with jam, 150 calories

- Wendy's Grilled Chicken Sandwich, side salad, some honey mustard dressing, and a sheet of chocolate graham crackers, 500+50=550 calories

- Teriyaki salmon over pasta and an apple, 600+110=710 calories

- PBJ sandwich: 350 calories

Total: 1760 calories

- Ran 18 minutes on the track, walked 12

Monday May 5

- 1.5 cups Raisen Bran with 1/2 cup fat free milk, 350 calories

- Banana, 100 calories

- Teriyaki salmon over pasta and an apple, 600+110=710 calories

- Tortilla (100), 1/3 can fat free refried beans (140), 1/3 pound extra lean beef (170), lettuce (negligible), salsa (50), fat-free sour cream (50), 510 calories

- Apple, 110 calories

Total: 1780 calories

- Ran 17 minutes on the track, walked 13

Tuesday May 6

- 2 egg whites (40), 1 egg yolk (60), shredded cheddar cheese (70), 2 pieces toast (100), 270 calories

- banana, 100 calories

- 1/6 can fat free refried beans (70), 1/6 pound extra lean beef (85), lettuce (negligible), salsa (25), fat-free sour cream (25), 205 calories

- 5 carrot sticks, 30 calories

- Foot long sweet onion teriyaki Subway sub with cheese and sweet onion dressing, 740 calories

- banana, 100 calories

- jelly sandwich, 150 calories

Total: 1495 calories

- Eliptical machine, 2 minute warm-up, 10 minutes at 9+ mets, 10 minutes at 8+ mets, 8 minutes at whatever

- Weight training, 3 reps minus 1 set of leg press and chest press.

Wednesday May 7

- Banana, 100 calories

- Club sandwich (three meats, three slices bread, cheese, lettuce), 500 calories

- Small bag potato chips, 200 calories

- Dinner + a lot of drinking = LOL calories

Total: 1150 + LOL calories

- Eliptical machine, 2 minute warm-up, 15 minutes at 9+ mets, 13 minutes at 8+ mets, 5 minute cool-down (burned 450 calories)

- Weight training, two reps

Thursday May 8

- 2 Tortillas (200), 1/3 can fat free refried beans (140), 1/3 pound extra lean beef (170), lettuce (negligible), fat-free sour cream (50), 560 calories

- Banana, 100 calories

- Healthy Choice frozen dinner, 300 calories

- Apple, 110 calories

- Lean Pocket, 280 calories

- Vanilla Ice cream, 200 calories

Total: 1900 calories

- Eliptical machine, 2 minute warm-up, 18 minutes at 9+ mets, 10 minutes at 8+ mets, 5 minute cool-down

- Weight training, two reps

Highlights

Okay, well. As far as the diet goes, eating less than 2000 calories is a lot easier than suspected. I don't think I ate much more than that normally (probably 2000-2300ish), but I'm aiming for 1700ish daily, at least until some of this fat goes away. I bought some multivitamins, so I shouldn't have to worry about missing out on important nutrients and such. I should point out that I didn't really keep to the plan Wednesday night, but, hey, I'll allow myself a little leeway for my graduation party. :)

As for working out, I'm doing alright. Due to the meyham of graduation, I probably won't make it to the gym or running today or tomorrow, but come Sunday I should be back on track. Until I make my glorious return to Auburn University in June, though, I won't get to go to the gym. I'll concentrate on working on my cardio via lots of running around my neighborhood in Huntsville... or wherever my wanderings take me in the coming weeks.

In short, so far, so good. I definitely had a moment during my weight training the other day where I wanted to wuss out, but then remembered I'd have to fess up to it here, so I pushed through. So yay for this thread.