Just bought a DS for my girlfriend.. recommendations please!

Hello fellow OCremixers!!

After a terribly cheesy opening sentence, I am pleased to inform that I have bought my girlfriend a black/red Nintendo DS Lite. Don't ask me why I didn't get the pink one.

Anyway's cutting the crap, I am in need for some SERIOUS recommendations of a few titles I can introduce her to. Please do not mention the stereotypical 'pinkness' like Barbie World Adventure but something sensible that will appeal to the casual, once in a blue moon, female gamer. Hopefully I intend to change the blue moon aspect and have a few obvious titles in my mind already, but would like to know the diversity of opinions from everyone here! Cheers guys/gals... :-P

Hello fellow OCremixers!!

After a terribly cheesy opening sentence, I am pleased to inform that I have bought my girlfriend a black/red Nintendo DS Lite. Don't ask me why I didn't get the pink one.

Anyway's cutting the crap, I am in need for some SERIOUS recommendations of a few titles I can introduce her to. Please do not mention the stereotypical 'pinkness' like Barbie World Adventure but something sensible that will appeal to the casual, once in a blue moon, female gamer. Hopefully I intend to change the blue moon aspect and have a few obvious titles in my mind already, but would like to know the diversity of opinions from everyone here! Cheers guys/gals... :-P

anyone who recommends anything pink or related to barbie world is an immature....oh wait im on ocr

Seriously though, "Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hour Glass" and "Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles" are two great games to give any person starting off on their ds gaming adventure.

This is kind of tough without knowing what kind of games she likes. I'd absolutely suggest Phoenix Wright of course, with Pokemon Diamond/Pearl a strong second - since you can get a copy yourself and trade, it encourages competition/involvement. The New Super Mario Bros is a good addition to any DS collection as well as Brain Age. If she likes puzzle games, planet puzzle league or puyo pop fever, again both of these also have 2 player modes (and don't need a second cart). There's also Sonic Rush and Mega Man ZX, again without knowing what kind of games she likes it's tough to suggest anything but the more popular broad titles. There are quite a few games from the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy series if she likes those.

I will say that Super Princess Peach was a fun and easy game. :3

I have to question how old this guy and his girlfriend are when he thinks anyone would seriously wish a Barbie-related game upon another human being. :|

I think he was saying he didn't want any smartass remarks about titles. No one would *seriously* recommend them, but he just doesn't want to deal with pain-in-the-ass smart aleck remarks that some forum goers typically make.

On topic, Starla's recommendations are really good choices, though I'd also submit Advance Wars: Days of Ruin if she likes any sort of strategy games, and Trauma Center if you're looking for a fairly unique experience.

I think he was saying he didn't want any smartass remarks about titles. No one would *seriously* recommend them, but he just doesn't want to deal with pain-in-the-ass smart aleck remarks that some forum goers typically make.

On topic, Starla's recommendations are really good choices, though I'd also submit Advance Wars: Days of Ruin if she likes any sort of strategy games, and Trauma Center if you're looking for a fairly unique experience.

I guess I could buy that approach, but still, who really thinks "Barbie" whenever they see "girl" and "game" together (or that others will think as such)? Unless "girl" is preceded by "eight year-old" and followed by "who has a closet full of carefully groomed dolls."

Anyway, Trauma Center is definitely a great choice. And of course there's no such thing as recommending the Ace Attorney games too strongly.

I got Professor Layton for my fiancee, and I'd never seen her completely plow through every detail of a game so quickly before -- it comes highly recommended. As I'm currently playing through The World Ends With You, I wouldn't give it to a casual gamer -- the combat is fairly involved, and it feels like a long term commitment in terms of actually seeing it through.

Puzzle Quest, Brain Age (1 or 2, but not both), Kirby Canvas Curse, and Hotel Dusk all come highly recommended.

Dayaaam! I started this thread when I was in uni (on a Sunday yes, with exams n all coming up) and I jus got home and get a barrage of replies! Great suggestions by the way. Some of you have already mentioned some titles that I had in mind so I know I'm not off-track lol.

@ Triad Nion: You hit the nail on the head there my friend. Can't be bothered to deal with smartass remarks.

@ Starla: Great suggestions indeed. OK I don't know how to classify my girlsfriends gaming habits. She is not an avid gamer like the typical OC'er, yet she does own a PSP and owns a Wii. When she initally bought both her consoles, she loved playing it, however the appeal did wear off her. Therefore I want her DS to break that trend.

Oh and why did I buy a DS for her? Cos her birthday is coming up and she did indirectly hint to me that she enjoyed playing on her friend's DS for the first time. I can imagine games like Animal Crossing and Elite Beat Angels appeal to her. Any more to look out for then?

Nintendogs. Just pick the version with her favourite breed and you'll be set to watch her interact with the DS with levels of intimacy you never thought possible (or are familiar with). If she likes dogs...honestly a no-brainer choice.

You seriously can't go wrong with the Ace Attorney games, although they might be tough to get ahold of. Hotel Dusk is another great visual novel, although it's not as good as the Ace Attorney series.

Professor Layton's worth looking into if she likes puzzles. Along the same lines, I'd recommend Picross DS (I'd recommend Layton over Picross though, since it has a really awesome art style, an entertaining story, and a lot of diversity in puzzles, whereas Picross is pretty much a one-trick pony... if she likes Sudoku, she'll probably like Picross.)

I'd also like to ANTI-RECOMMEND the world ends with you. It's a great game, for sure, but I don't think it's a good choice for a casual gamer. I never go anywhere without my DS and I'm terrible at it; I don't think the average casual gamer would take the time to get past the learning curve.

"The World Ends With You". Weird name. Awesome game. Recently-released, too.

YES. Seriously, why isn't there a thread for this game and the Zetta Awesome Miniamoto yet?

EDIT: @Yoshi3gg, I will agree the is not for the plain casual gamer, but for someone getting more interested in the more in-depth gaming scene. Also, the learning curve is pretty steep, but the best way to get over it is just to switch to manual ASAP. Once you're through, the game is ridiculously fun.