OCR00309 - NiGHTS into dreams... "Soft Museum Jam"

Saunders

NiGHTS into dreams... 'Soft Museum Jam'

Wow, I must say this wasn't even in my list, but upon listening to it I now realize that this is actually a high quality, good tune. Of course in the world of OCR, "Good" and "McVaffe" are practically synonyms. Fun little mix of some Nights theme or another, never played the game so I can't say.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the NiGHTS OST. McVaffe took off on quite a tangent from the original song, which made me too overlook this song at first.

This song is a good deal more playful than the original, mostly due to the piano and drum beat. "Jam" is the perfect description for this rendition. Quality music, especially for NiGHTS lovers.

Sadly I never played NiGHTS because I flat out never played a Saturn. I got Prozax's NiGHTS mix and i loved it so much i had to go find another NiGHTS tune. I was pleased to see one in the archives, and even more pleased to see high quality composer McVaffe as the remixer. This song is very fun, and Im a sucker for the jazz like piano usage, and that instrument that plays the meledy is just has "energetic" written all over it. This is going on my perky music playlist ^_^. Recommended, I give it a 10/10 because i flat out enjoy it and its energy.

EDIT: I would like to add that the instruements in all of McVaffes works, but escpecially in this one sound very natural, and flow together semlessley, no doubt part of the overall appeal.

• 1 month later...

I've never touched NiGHTS in my life, but have heard of it quite a bit. I cant tell if the song was meant to have this very cheery mood to it, but i love the bouncyness of this theme, McVaffe has given the perfect little beat to this song, and im almost intimidated by the utter cheeryness that the instruments bring to this song.

I love how everything is tied toghether strongly, and beautifully rendered, it sounds as if you could simply loop the song for days and never notice that you've actually listened to it a hundred times.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm a saturn old schooler, and Nights is one of my favorite games for Sega's system. The last two stage's music in particular are phenominal, one of which is the soft musem stage. I was eager to hear how this remix of an already well composed song turned out and downloaded it. The overall remix is very similar to the original, and this is a good thing. The addition of the drum beat really helps liven up the song, and gives it a more powerful sound. All in all, an enjoyable remix.

• 7 months later...

I sometimes think I shouldn't even write reviews for McVaffe's songs anymore, because they're all so good that I end up saying the same things. But for effect, I'll say them again. Excellent combination of both non-traditional and traditional percussion, excellent orchestration and instrumentation, dynamic, energy-filled arrangement, flawless production. The bottom line: this mix rules, even if you've never played the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I was psyched when I saw this mix, and upon listening, I ended up repeating several times. Soft Museum is one of NiGHTS' most addictive and fun levels, and it shows in the music as well.

I notice McVaffe pretty much stuck with the "bad" version of the song... which now makes me want to play Christmas NiGHTS and "remix" it a bit myself.

My only complaint about this remix? I wish it could have played through one more time. The original OST tracks annoyed me a bit because they only played through once. ^^; A great mix for a great song!

• 4 weeks later...

This deffinitly has to be one of the coolest mixes on this site. Not only because NiGHTS is one of the damned coolest games ever, mind you.

The syling of this song is just phenominal. The pace and beat deffinitly suit it. Very well done.

Let's hear some more fast paced NiGHTS remixs guys.

:D

• 10 months later...

I'm almost sad that there is only one NiGHTS remix, for the same reason I am with EVO. Not because I'm a huge fan of the games' soundtracks (though I do remember playing the NiGHTS Saturn disc in a CD player, and always have dug the Ocean of Origin track from EVO, but on a whole I find both soundtracks largely forgettable under the test of time), but just because they're such beautiful and original games.

But about the mix itself: This is very much my favorite McVaffe mix. Admittedly, I've never been a huge fan of McVaffe's, which isn't to say I haven't enjoyed his mixes so much as to say I haven't enjoyed them as much as others'. But this mix is a shining example of what makes a mix 'work' for me--by evoking emotion, rather than simply nostalgia. By making me imagine something original and beautiful, rather than simply remember the game. And around 1'33, that imagining builds into audio Nirvana... Although I have found other mixes to be more poignant and beautiful, I must say this is perfect. A definite repeat play, and another buried treasure I only recently discovered.

• 2 years later...

I remember being pretty on the fence about this one back when I first listened to all of the ReMixes in mid-2002. The sound choices and overall groove were pretty smooth, and definitely had that NiGHTS in-game style energy, but for whatever reason, I didn't keep it then. But checking it out a couple of years ago, having found even more appreciation for McVaffe (is that even possible?), I realized how solid this mix was.

A shame Mike never released an arrangement album with exclusive material or anything like that. I've never seen anyone so good at creating grade-up style arrangement that still had their own voice while retaining the feel of the original.

I also agree in wishing there were more NiGHTS remixes. Sometimes I think there aren't that many because it's so awesome to begin with-what's to improve? But I think our dear McVaffe found a way to do it, because I personally enjoy this over the original. The bg percussion is what does it for me. He tweaked it up to where there was more to the song, not just enchancing it's overall quality. One awesome song, made more awesome by one of my favorite remixers. (pleasepleasepleaseplease come back McV!!)

• 3 months later...

Ok, what the heck, how does McVaffe make this always sound so easy?

Beautiful mixing of all kinds of instruments and beats with a cheerful and energetic melody. This is something I'd expect to hear quality-wise today, and this was first submitted in the "dark ages"; almost 7 years ago, when midi rips and bad techno were much more prevalent. It just shows how far ahead of the game Mcvaffe is.

I'm stretching hard to find some sort of fault in this, and the only thing I think that could be improved would be maybe some of the pan flute. A little more feeling to it would have strengthened it. However, the accordion and piano are flawless. The accordion especially.

This is a completely amazing remix that pushes all of my buttons, and then even pushes a few I didn't know about. McVaffe for president!

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This mix throws me every time I listen. From the introless beginning, I get the impression that I'm in for some predigested boppy party fare; pleasant to chew on but no nutritional value. But after a while it reveals its full hand, and the mature, deeper tones of the piece are exposed. It's a class act wrapped up in some cellophane, and strangely the juxtaposition works. The compositional prowess shines through tainted, but in a pleasing hue.

I seem to be saying the same thing over and over in relation to McVaffe. I love this mix. Making a good remix seems hard; I can't fathom how someone made dozens, whilst making them consistently good and whilst ensuring they stand the test of time. Lifetime achievement award?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, this mix gives such a happy-go-lucky feel. xD

The change-up at 0:46 felt a bit strange to me in terms of the flute, but everything else seemed to flow nicely. I like the panning "duel" type section at about 1:16. That is a cool transition. :D

The breakdown at about 1:32 works great when the bass comes back in (well, it probably just gets louder for a moment as a lead in) at 1:45.

Aw, a fade ending. :| I kinda wish there was a real ending. Or at least, a slower fade. Oh well, the song still sounded great overall. :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00309 - NiGHTS into dreams... "Soft Museum Jam"