Super Mario World level that plays music

Bigfoot

HOLY FUCK INDEED.

Is this on YouTube as well, as I wish to be able to also view this outside of Kotaku~

Not that I could see, but I did find one where the song order is the same, but it has vocals :o No SMW, though.

Apparently there's a few different versions of that collection of music on youtube :o.

I recognize a lot of them actually

I heard Sousei No Aquarion, that xenopittan song, Megaman, Geno's Woods, Air, two touhou songs, haruhi and lucky star.. basically, a lot of japanese imageboard music-related memes :roll:

"Can't Defeat Airman," Final Fantasy Prologue, and Sakura spotted.

Man, freakin' Touhou...

Edit: "NicoNico Douga" is basically the Japanese YouTube, so I'm guessing it's a bunch of Nico memes. One of the interesting things about that site is that comments can be made for specific times in the video and are superimposed as scrolling text on the actual video. So in most videos you see the screen covered in "wwwwwwwww" the majority of the time. :P

It has potential up the wazzoo, but I have to agree with Nekofrog, and I think it came off as boring and pointless after the first half a minute...

Would've been a lot more impressive if the song was good, or if the Mario-sound-effect-song was any good. Had a giant "so what??" factor instead of a "WOW" factor. I'd be extremely impressed (rather than bored) if they just did just 20 seconds of something that wasn't so sparse and un-melodic. He's clearly got it down to a science - let's hear the Super Mario Bros. theme with full percussion!

First, there was the renaissance, then, there was the lightbulb. More recently, man landed on the moon.

Now, this video comes along as man's latest, greatest achievement EVER!!!

The funny thing is, I'm walking the fine line between seriousness and exaggeration...

You could find every possible compliment located in the latest Thesaurus, and use them to describe this video.

Awe-inspiring. My only complaint is that I recognize so few of the songs.

If you consider the amount of time that went into making this, the result is, unfortunately, rather unimpressive IMO. Sure, it's amazing how well the SFX syncs up with the music but the sounds really don't do anything more than accentuate the beat of the music, rather than actually playing the music as I had initially hoped :(

I'm watching this again (how can you not? :P ) and am noticing a lot of clever things done with the Koopa shells as pitched samples, and the actual natural tempo of certain sound effects such as the Yoshi-mounting sound. And contrary to what was said, the sound effects very often do actually match the pitch of the music, for example the music blocks in the section starting at 4:50 (beautiful song, btw...wish I knew the source). And it's not just "emphasizing the beat"...most of the melodies are played out in their entirety.

Anyway, just saying, this is like the Captain Falcon/Fire Emblem synch video x 100, and I didn't hear anybody complain about how lame that was. I guess there was the expectation that the level would actually play the correct pitches as well as the rhythms due to the misleading thread title, but c'mon guys, seriously now.

the music blocks in the section starting at 4:50 (beautiful song, btw...wish I knew the source)

"you" from Higurashi no something something whatever the rest is you know what I'm talking about. Hate that freakin' song so much.

Took second in Week 98 of SotW, just behind a track you yourself nominated, whattup.

What's this? A guy actually playing through a meticulously-designed Super Mario World level on a single life while perfectly synching each and every action with the music for 11 minutes?

NOT IMPRESSED.

I should rephrase that: I expected more out of it. The amount of time and effort that obviously went into this is admirable/impressive but the final product doesn't really PLAY music (as I was hoping it would), it only vaguely syncs up the SFX noises with the song, which is what didn't really impress me.

Also, you're overestimating the guy, this is one of those levels that are designed to 'play themselves'. I'm pretty sure he didn't even touch the controls during the level, since the whole level is quite obviously created with the intent to sync up with the music.