id says Doom 4 is a go

lazygecko

It's more exciting to see what the graphics id is going to churn out will look like than the actual gameplay of a new doom... which I know will be mediocre, boring, and uninspired. Doom 3 bored me to tears. Same old Doom 2 formula repackaged with nice graphics. I would imagine Doom 4 will be more of the same.

id should really be working on a new IP at this point unless they plan to really make something ground breaking in doom 4.

Except it wasn't much like Doom 2 at all, you only fought a few monsters at a time (if even that), along with loads of redundant scripted scenes and logs forced on you for the sake of the plot, and that damn flashlight.

Doom 2 is a much more arcade-like shooter and just feels more accessible to me.

I agree. Doom 2 is more accessible (and fun) in my opinion as well. But what I was trying to say is that doom 3 really didn't feel all that new at all, if anything, going from doom 2 to doom 3 (flashlight and graphics excluded) felt like a slight downgrade.

I hope they truly wow us with this. Doom 3 was way too dark at times, and it was nothing like the previous Doom titles. What I loved about Doom so much was going into an area that was loaded with monsters. With Doom 3, you were lucky to fight 2 imps at once. And the final boss battle? What a joke. :(

Honestly, you can blame Doom 3's absolute suckage on Resident Evil 2. There's a video interview out there of Carmack saying that no game scared him before or since like Resident Evil 2 did, and he wanted to replicate the feeling he got playing that with the Doom franchise.

Unfortunately, Doom was never about scares; it was a thrilling run'n'gun in space with a few "scary" environments thrown in as an afterthought.

This, and the closet-monster approach is why Doom 3 failed as a game and succeeded as a tech demo.

I personally really enjoyed Doom 3, but on the other hand, I was not a hardcore fan of the original (I only played a shareware version of Doom 1). The only time Doom 3 seemed to have the run-and-gun feel of the original was the last area. But aside from the expectations surrounding it, I think it is a fun game. The flashlight thing didn't annoy me at all. But I'm a huge Resident Evil fan as well (not that is has anything to do with flashlights).

I'm probably alone on this, but I enjoyed Doom 3 (As well as the other Doom 3 engine games - Prey, Quake 4) more than Half-Life 2 :D

I guess I enjoy FPS for shooting things and immersion, not puzzle-solving and firefight-lite gameplay like Half-Life 2.

I'm probably alone on this, but I enjoyed Doom 3 (As well as the other Doom 3 engine games - Prey, Quake 4) more than Half-Life 2 :D

I guess I enjoy FPS for shooting things and immersion, not puzzle-solving and firefight-lite gameplay like Half-Life 2.

You're not.

I enjoyed Doom 3 a lot more than HL2. The darkness, the flashlight, the atmosphere, the gameplay that stayed close to the original pair of games (trio if you count 'Final')... I enjoyed every minute of it, and I still have it installed on my PC. So many people bitched about how dark the game was, to which I say, "Well duh." You're in buildings, the lights aren't working well (if at all), there are few windows, so it's gonna be pretty damn dark :lol:

And this comes from someone who loves the first three DOS games.

My questions are this...

- Is this going to be a retelling of 'Hell On Earth'?

- Will this use the id Tech 5 engine, or will it use a tweaked version of the Doom 3 (id Tech 4) engine?

You're not.

I enjoyed Doom 3 a lot more than HL2. The darkness, the flashlight, the atmosphere, the gameplay that stayed close to the original pair of games (trio if you count 'Final')...

What?

Doom I and II, while areas that were slow and low on monsters did exist, were primarily built around throwing as many big beasties at you as possible in the area given. There were many many outdoor environments, and, gasp, mostly took place in daylight!

Stayed close my patootie, sir.

- Will this use the id Tech 5 engine, or will it use a tweaked version of the Doom 3 (id Tech 4) engine?

I can't envision any scenario in which an upcoming id or id partner game wouldn't use Tech 5. The exception is the next Wolfenstein, but only because it's been in development for ages now.

What?

Doom I and II, while areas that were slow and low on monsters did exist, were primarily built around throwing as many big beasties at you as possible in the area given. There were many many outdoor environments, and, gasp, mostly took place in daylight!

Stayed close my patootie, sir.

Patootie? Them's fightin' words varmint!

- No squad tactics

- No puzzles

- No vehicles

- No sneaking

- No "can only carry a few weapons" restrictions

- No stationary battles as waves of enemies come at you

- No alternate firing modes for the weapons

In other words, a lot of the things that have been added to the FPS genre over the years were tossed by the wayside to keep Doom 3's gameplay close to the original games. Yes there were changes (fewer monsters, much darker atmosphere and lighting, crouch/jump, etc.), but the overall gameplay was still very much straight out of 1993 and 1994 (which many bitched about if you recall).

Honestly, you can blame Doom 3's absolute suckage on Resident Evil 2. There's a video interview out there of Carmack saying that no game scared him before or since like Resident Evil 2 did, and he wanted to replicate the feeling he got playing that with the Doom franchise.

Unfortunately, Doom was never about scares; it was a thrilling run'n'gun in space with a few "scary" environments thrown in as an afterthought.

This, and the closet-monster approach is why Doom 3 failed as a game and succeeded as a tech demo.

That's kind of sad that Carmack would switch like that. Doom had it's freaky moments when you are thrown into a room with flickering lights, not a lot of ammo, and the hordes of Hell before you.

It wasn't terror inducing, but that's what a better engine could have pulled off. I hope they try and bring the fun back in knowing there's probably three bull demons, a Hell Baron, and God knows how many imps through that door, and you're low on plasma.

Let there be light! Yeah, and bigger areas and more monsters that don't all take 5000 bullets to kill. I always thought Painkiller was more of a Doom-game than Doom 3. And Painkiller rules. Doom 3 alone had enough pointless wandering in dark, claustrophobic corridors for a lifetime - now its time to get back to shooting and... yeah... FUN.

Id somehow screwed up Quake 4 too. At first I really thought it was gonna be a great game but when I got through the first stage it got all bad. And dark. And claustrophobic. Not to mention those godawful drivinglevels that just don't fit in there... Yuck.

• 2 months later...

id have talked more about Doom 4 on QuakeCon. They've confirmed that it will be much more action-oriented, based heavily on Doom 2 (moreso than Doom 3 was based on Doom 1 at least), and since it will be capped at 30fps it'll look up to 3 times better than the recently showcased Rage. They also expect it to be finished relatively fast since the engine is more or less finished already.