Secret Of Mana: Untitled Project

Ok last one for today, this one is a remix of the theme from the Water Palace in Secret of Mana (Forgive me i dont know the original name)

This is one of my heaviest FX mixes to date, using more philtering than i have ever used in a track before. In fact its a pain in the ass to play since it lags my PC to pieces :)

This remix is once again Drum & Bass made with Fruityloops lashed with a ton of Love Philter effects, the beat in this track is about 30 different drum & bass beats layered together with extensive filtering. I personally love it :) but im a nutcase for beats as you may or may not know.

This has the base of the tune but has also had a great deal of orignal tune content added so pls dont flame it doesnt use the "Whole" song.

Let me know what you think:

Secret Of Mana: Untitled Project

http://rapidshare.com/files/113317238/Secret_of_Mana_-_Untitled_Project.mp3.html

Last one for TODAY? C'mon man, you buried mine under FIVE of your own WIPs.

As for the song itself. Its not bad, but it does little to really grab my attention or do the source material justice. The beats are complicated and pretty well-orchestrated on their own merits, but c'mon, very little of this actually sounds like the song it's based on and turning one of RPG's best ambient Sanctuary themes into a throbbing DnB just seems like bad taste.

At least throw some crystalline pianos and choirs on it for God's sakes. This is a foundation piece if nothing else. Don't screw with the beat at all, just put something more on it so it sounds like you're doing the Sanctuary theme justice.

Lol yeah i know sorry for the flood, i been out of the scene for almost 2 yeas so i got a lot of stuff im sat on XD

Thanks for the comments, i know what ya mean about taking such a mellow tune & turning it into a drum & bass hectic madhouse but thats kinda my point :)

And yeah im notorious for using small amounts of the original theme :\ its kinda hard to get the full amount of ambiance in my style of mixing without losing the "crazyness", but i will give it a try & see how it goes ;)

Appreciate the response

I really like what you did with this track.

To be honest, in Secret of Mana, this was always one of my least favorite tracks because it didn't ever feel like it had a real rhythm or melody. You've taken that and thrown it out the window. The thing really feels like it has composition now. I salute you.

Source is in 6/4, yours in 4/4. There's two kind of time signature changes, those giving a theme an unusual and interesting rhythm, and those that turn a theme into something more bland. I'm sorry man, this sounds like the latter to me.

I don't have to hear much to tell you've done a great job, imo, when it comes to the drums, but even ther drums need some work in the ending where you're just cutting off one loop after another. I might cut back on some of the high frequencies, some of them are painful to hear.

As for bass and everything else... The bass could use some more punch. Everything else needs to be more clearly separated from the bass and drums, especially the melody. I see no reason to cut back on source, there's more than enough room for it.

It's at a good length, and it's got a nice sound. Some fixes, more creative use of the source (and more source overall), and it might get on OCR, imo.

Thanks for all the feedback, i am working on mixing up the beats at the end atm as i agree it does sound a little too "looped" for my taste.

As for the bassline - Tell me about it -.- its so hard to get punchy bass out of fruityloops, usually it either ends up flat or distorted, i never seem to be able to find a good inbetween :(

Use EQ to boost the mid lows of the bass range. You should hear it sound tougher and unchier when you get to the right place. I don't remember where it is for bass, and it probably varies somewhat with sample/synth and key, but kick and snare have theirs between 50 and 200Hz.

Also, tweak the synth or sampler volume envelope. Short attack, short decay, sustain set to 50% or something, and release... relatively short. That'll give you a quicker bass sound. Shortening the actual notes might also be necessary, but I can't say.

Then, experiment with compression and distortion. Too much distortion is gonna kill the punch, and there's a whole lot of ways you can make stuff sound worse by tweaking the compressor wrong. Someone else should probably help you with that.