Gusty Garden - Super Mario Galaxy (Take 2!)

Been gone for awhile trying to make Garritan Personal Orchestra produce a decent sound. And I think it's going pretty well now with this song, which of course happens to be my second take on Gusty Garden from Super Mario Galaxy. I also happened to read a little bit of Rimsky Korsakov's Principles of Orchestration (err Garritan's notes on it at least) as Sil has suggested, but I'm still a little lost... Course it seems it's more practice than anything.

The link for the song is here: http://files.filefront.com/Gusty+Garden+ReMix+Finalmp3/;10184281;/fileinfo.html

It's more of a temple-like soundscape for the beginning half, and recently I have been adding pure orchestral sections to it, but I hope to get back to a similar type of sound that the beginning has.

I'm not really sure if it's up to par yet, but any comments would be nice of course.

Edit: Just to clarify it's not completely done yet, it's a WIP.

Arrangement is lovely, and the sound is, to my casual listerener ears, fine. Arrangementwise, this could get on OCR, imo.

But then... I think there's a couple of places where you've got notes out of the right key. 0:08, 0:13 (and something in the harp in bg before 0:17), 0:31, and 1:39.

And make up your mind about the panning of the marimba or whatever that is. Doesn't fit the orchestral landscape to have a marimba on rails racing back and forth over the stage.

As stated, lovely. Great job man.

Does it really sound that out of key? Some of the parts are meant to sound chromatic and may stick out a little bit. It might just be the samples itself too, since some moments I have the strings playing tremolo and low notes can get distorted too, even though they are in the right key. I'll try to listen more closely and hopefully fix any odd spots.

And about the marimba, it is actually two separate marimbas panned left and right. The reverb also causes the marimba to have an extra percussive effect... like sorta of a castanet sound lol, so it's not really racing all over the place. I wasn't really aiming for realism for the whole piece, but 1:38+ is 100% playable by a real orchestra.

Thanks for the comments of course, it's almost complete now.

I actually updated it to 3:13, but I'm not sure if i should just try to end it or go for a whole another run through the melody.

Wow...Not bad. It's definately difforent. Of cource, I'm only A lissioner, not A composer or anything. So I can't tell you that one thing sounds out of key or anything. But hey, the good news is I love the arrangement. It still keeps the Super Mario Galaxy feel but has original pieces in it. so...in other words... Nice job. :D

That is absolutely lovely. It's got a pretty unique vibe for an orchestral piece, and I like it. Very dynamic. That softer section at 1:53 is just heart-melting and 2:45 somehow manages to be even more so.

I notice that certain drums seem to be a bit heavier in the bass/mid area, but I'm still not sure if that's a bad thing. It gives the piece a nice low-end punch, which accompanies the light, airy orchestration nicely. I'm still on the fence. If you do bring those drums down at all, don't bring them down much. Also, the way the ending just trails off works fine, but something about it just doesn't feel totally satisfactory after that beautiful arrangement. If you plan to rework this track any more before submitting, I'd love to hear the ending fleshed out a bit.

Either way this mix is staying safely nestled in my iTunes library. You done good. :)

What VST's did you use for the orchestra-instruments?

I use Garritan Personal Orchestra, it's a decent orchestra library. It's fairly cheap, yet it can be a huge pain to use sometimes.

Also, I decided just to submit it to see how it'll do. I tried changing some parts, but it did not really sound any worse or better. At first, I was considering at making the ending a little less abrupt, but then it makes it less mysterious and more generic. But oh well, I just hope the judges like it.

I want to listen to this, but File Front doesn't seem to like me. It tells me I have an invalid session. I tried what they said to do (make sure cookies are allowed, clearing out all old cookies), with no luck. Anyone have any ideas what I could do to fix this?

• 3 weeks later...