Best Linux Version as Windows Alternative?

HalcyonSpirit

I need a bit of help finding a Linux distribution that can be operated by people who know next to nothing about computers and how they operate: my parents. Crazy, I know, but hear me out. I ask because that very ineptness is making it very hard to keep their computer operational when using Windows XP.

Long story short, despite my best efforts (antivirus, software firewalls, router firewalls, putting the security settings as high as possible, and trying to teach them how to avoid viruses and the like), their computer routinely becomes infested with viruses, spyware, and other crap. This was less of a problem before I went to college, since I could stop a problem before it became too bad. These days, though, I'm only home every few months, and by then the infestation makes a drive reformat absolutely necessary. I'm going to be gone for even longer periods in the coming months and years, so I need to stop this issue before then. Thankfully, most of their activities aren't OS-specific, so I'm hoping I can get my parents to use an "easy" version of Linux on a regular basis so that they won't have to deal with these issues again. I'll of course be installing Windows as well so that my dad can do his work (he has to use things like AutoCAD, which I don't believe has a Linux equivalent).

Honestly, I don't expect this to work out. I expect them to be incapable of learning any new OS, no matter how similar it is to Windows. Still, I need to at least try. I've been looking at PCLinuxOS and Mandriva as possible candidates, as well as PuppyLinux (my sister, who is only slightly more computer-capable, was able to work with that quite well). I need suggestions and advice, though. Any help would be appreciated.

Definitely Ubuntu, perhaps if only for the great community support forum. They're used to stupid questions. Kubuntu might even work, since it gives you the choice of running a bit more like Windows (in terms of the interface).

There are certainly other distributions that might compare to (K)Ubuntu, but Linux definitely has a learning curve, and I'd say in a situation like this you'd want a distribution with as much support available as possible. That, and Ubuntu is on a very stable development track, so updates and bugfixes are guaranteed to be pretty frequent.

This is for a desktop, right? I'm assuming a desktop with an ethernet connection to the Internet?

If not, you might wanna start researching 'How to get wireless in Ubuntu' BEFORE it gets ugly...

8.04 has made this quite a bit easier, especially if you have a Broadcom chipset, but look into it anyway.

Ubuntu seems to be the general consensus here. I looked at it last night, and I decided that it would be a good choice. I played around with the Live CD before trying to install it, and while I don't know how my parents will handle it, I was certainly satisfied with the relative ease of use. I like the Add/Remove Programs interface to help install most of the essentials, but I'm not quite sure how to install programs that aren't on that list. I'll keep at it, though.

I installed it and have gotten it more-or-less up and running. Thankfully, yes, it's a desktop with an Ethernet connection, so I don't need to mess with getting wireless to work on it.