Turning LCD into touch screen... bad for LCD?

Argitoth

Yeah that guy is a genius. There was a thread about Head-Tracking VR Displays from this guy a couple of months back.

About the scratching... I guess you can always buy a protective sheet for the screen. Kinda like the one for a Nintendo DS.

Probably don't have to touch the actual screen, just get your finger close enough to where you can tell where you're pointing.

Not leaning on something would be quite painful after an hour. :)

WAIT... that might just be crazy enough to work! Your elbow can lean on your lap or desk while you point and click in midair, no need to be near the screen, just point!

Not O (organic) LEDs specifically, but rather the idea of LED lighting. It's much better than LCD screens for a variety of reasons. In addition, LED monitors don't require a backlight, which means that they can display true black, save power, and give richer and more accurate colors which will look the same regardless of the angle (remember the early LCDs which changed to photonegative when you looked at it from the side?). Macbooks are starting to make these available, and with the next refresh I think they'll become standard. I don't know how any of this pertains to touchscreen technology, but since Apple is working on that as well I'm sure it can happen.

Touchscreen panels do not hurt LCD panels if installed properly. An ideal touchscreen setup will have multiple layers starting with the actual LCD panel, then a thin sheet of glass, then the touchscreen, then a protective layer. I've got a Panasonic Toughbook CF-28 that I've been rebuilding. The protective mylar sheet was worn to shit from useage, but after carefully peeling it off the touchscreen layer and removing residue it's completely untouched. Just need to put a new protective sheet over it and all is good again. If I lift off the touchscreen layer and the sheet of glass the actual LCD underneath is pristine.

Granted, building your own touchscreen can be as simple as putting the touchscreen overlay directly over the LCD panel. The overlay will actually help protect the original display underneath, but you just need to make sure you don't hammer on it. A good touchscreen won't need much pressure to pick up on where you touch anyway.

Also, I'm a douche and did not watch the link provided. I'm just saying what I know :)

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

Right there, scroll down to the 2nd video, later in on the video he shows you how to turn your LCD into a touch screen.

I'm just wondering though... isn't that bad for your LCD? Won't it get scratched and such?

Stick a wad of felt on the pen's tip, making sure it doesn't obstruct the LED that the Wiimote looks at. Problem solved.

Also, is there any reason you couldn't just use your mousepad as a tablet?

Man, now I need to buy a Bluetooth receiver. This stuff is cool.