Banjo is Back! "Nuts and Bolts" detailed!

SwordBreaker

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167777&p=4

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167781

Trailer looks AMAZING. The rock version of Banjo's main theme sounds so cool! And LOL @ that last bit of the trailer...don't know if that's a tribute or a satire to Mario. Either way, that was cool.

Loving what I'm reading in the preview. This quote is what I've loved the most:

"The platform game genre -- it's quite traditional in its approach," continues Mayles. "So we thought, 'If we're going to reenter that genre, we need to do something that's going to make people look twice,' rather than just dismissing it as, 'It's Rare, there are going to be millions of things to collect, and everything will have googly eyes.'"

I'm so glad they realized one of the stale elements of the platforming genre. The whole "collect-a-thon" idea is seriously getting old and tedious. I mean, I was fine with it in the original Banjo Kazooie and Mario Galaxy, but Banjo-Tooie seriously turned me off because there was millions of things to find.

So yeah...with this new installment, I'm loving the fact that things stay "traditional" in the overworld, while being machine-based in the actual levels. The fact that you can create these things from scratch kicks ass. Not only that, but your creation adheres to the game's Havok-based physics engine. So your machine may not move as well as you'd like (or just topple over) if you have the dynamics wrong. Very nice.

As I predicted, online multiplayer is in. Looks like it'll play like Twisted Metal. They better add offline support, though. No talk about any "innovative" controllers bundled with the game.

Thoughts?

The graphics are nice, although I'm not sure how well the surroundings really fit with the established Banjo universe. I can't say I'm thrilled about the vehicle driving/upgrading/buying part of the game, and I still really hate the way Banjo looks, what with the Wonder Bread shaped snout and all.

I agree that there was too much collecting in Banjo Tooie, but I just feel like this is less innovative and more 'tacking on features from other genres'. Maybe I'll have to wait to see more gameplay to really know though.

The graphics are nice, although I'm not sure how well the surroundings really fit with the established Banjo universe. I can't say I'm thrilled about the vehicle driving/upgrading/buying part of the game, and I still really hate the way Banjo looks, what with the Wonder Bread shaped snout and all.

I agree that there was too much collecting in Banjo Tooie, but I just feel like this is less innovative and more 'tacking on features from other genres'. Maybe I'll have to wait to see more gameplay to really know though.

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see how fresh this "custom creation" mechanic gets. But as LittleBigPlanet proves, the concept can get very appealing...especially if it's this deep.

Obviously, there's going to be negative reaction from fans of this "new direction"...and I hate the fact that these people call themselves fans if they're expecting the third installment to basically be a bigger and more polished version of Tooie. Because let me tell you, Tooie bored the hell out of me because it was a bigger version of Kazooie. The first game had the right balance of platforming and exploration...Tooie, on the other hand, is almost like a sandbox-style game with millions upon millions of things to collect. I only liked Tooie when they changed things up a bit with FPS elements and innovative transformations.

Kudos to Rare for doing this. Seriously, it's rare to have unique 3D platformers these days, and the genre itself is basically dying because the whole "collect-a-thon" formula doesn't hold up so well this generation. Stuff like Mario Galaxy and Ratchet and Clank are excellent because they've added new concepts or mixed other genres onto platforming.

I keep hearing things about being innovative and not putting out more of the same old shit, but to be honest, I've never seen a non-linear platformer up to the same par as Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. I'm ready for some more of that same old shit, because it hasn't really been exhausted at all.

All the games I see now highlight combat and guided missions.. to me, that's what isn't very innovative.

I think I'm going to just get sick of that vehicle. Warp zones and Kazooie are efficient enough methods of travel.

I loved Kazooie, and Tooie even moreso, because of how retardedly huge everything was. Kazooie got on my nerves with the note collecting, and how if you died, you lost all the notes you'd collected in that level. But with Tooie they let you keep the notes you collected FOREVER, and that made my life fifty times easier.

I am kind of excited about this, but also I am worried it'll not be anywhere near the awesome of the first two. And it probably won't be.

But as long as they keep the super-awesome-orchestra-synth boss musics, I'm down.

I keep hearing things about being innovative and not putting out more of the same old shit, but to be honest, I've never seen a non-linear platformer up to the same par as Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. I'm ready for some more of that same old shit, because it hasn't really been exhausted at all.

QFE

I'm a huge fan of the original games; they should have introduced an entirely new series for this vehicle mechanic and left Banjo alone.

Looks pretty cool. The graphics are damned purdy, although I will admit that the build your own vehicle idea sounds a bit gimmicky. Still, I'm sure at the very least it'll promote some interesting pieces of creativity. I do kind of hope they maintain more of the mechanics of the first game, being that I thought it was pretty great all on it's own, but hey, if innovation works, it works, and it definitely looks cool thus far.

Here's to hoping for the best.

I'm a huge fan of the original games; they should have introduced an entirely new series for this vehicle mechanic and left Banjo alone.

Couldn't say better myself. I'm extremely disappointed with the new game stuff so far. Rare should stick to their guns better. You know it always bodes ill when a company says that they're gonna give a game series a "clean start." =/

I wa sso hoping for some old school platforming adventuring with the new Banjo... but, I'm sadly not really interested at all in this new game. I've still got hope that there is a true Banjo-Threeie in the works, & that this is a "side game" in the series.

But, yeah, if it has bosses, it better have overly epic, elfman-esque music. Dammit.

Couldn't care less about the original games, 3D-platforming ain't my thing, but something that gets me going is the building. I mean, gummi ships in kingdom hearts (1 AND 2!) was like the best thing that ever happened to me so the more energy they put on making the building/collecting part good the more I'd wanna get this game.

Couldn't care less about the original games, 3D-platforming ain't my thing, but something that gets me going is the building. I mean, gummi ships in kingdom hearts (1 AND 2!) was like the best thing that ever happened to me so the more energy they put on making the building/collecting part good the more I'd wanna get this game.

That's a joke right? I hated the Gummi Ships in Kingdom Hearts because it was so utterly pointless. It didn't matter what you did with your ship because the gummi missions were boring and far too easy. (Which is good, because if they were boring and difficult, I probably never would have beat it due to burn-out.)

This, however, looks like it could lead to hours of maniacal fun for one reason. Everything is based on physics. Building your own physics machine? Awesome. Totally awesome.

I never cared for the original two Banjo games, felt like generic platformers to me, but this looks like it could have some spunk to it. Kind of hard to say at this point, but if anything, I can only imagine the only havoc that could ensue by building game-breaking machines. :)

I'm all for putting a new spin on games but uh.... this is just totally different. It looks like a different game with the Banjo characters smeared in.
they should have introduced an entirely new series for this vehicle mechanic and left Banjo alone.

Thirded. Perfect Dark Zero anyone?

I'm so glad they realized one of the stale elements of the platforming genre. The whole "collect-a-thon" idea is seriously getting old and tedious. I mean, I was fine with it in the original Banjo Kazooie and Mario Galaxy, but Banjo-Tooie seriously turned me off because there was millions of things to find.

Funny that you say collecting things is stale. Aren't there going to be a million pieces of vehicles to collect? =p

Garry's Mod <3.

Exactly what I was thinking when I made that post. Can you imagine how cool this game could be if it delivers on the customization/physics aspect?

And if they throw in something similar to Gary's mod, where you could go online and freeform design levels and the aspects of the world your level is based in? Gravity alteration, weight modification, velocity intensity, QUANTUM ELEVATION.

Oops, just wet myself, brb.