Nice comic book suggestions you got there (and hospitalized friends too!)

Necrotic

I have a friend in the hospital right now. He has a hole in his lung for no apparent reason and that is apparently a life-threatening concern that he now has to deal with for some time.

He's had to spend two weeks at the hospital so far to recover from a surgery. He has at least another two or three weeks of tests before he'll get released and that's being optimistic. I figured I'd do something nice and get him some stuff to take his mind the hospital because he's got absolutely nothing to do.

He really likes comics. Many people at OCR like comics. But I don't really keep up with them. I was wondering if any of you guys might be able to take a few minutes out of your day to help me figure out what kind of comics would be good for him. Good candidates would be comics that came out in the last couple weeks (because I don't know what series he's been keeping up with), comics that aren't especially old (same reason, he might already have them), and ones that are especially awesome and/or hilarious (the Deadpool comics I've seen online come to mind.)

If none of that's possible then I'll have to figure something else out.

Just thought I should note that he's also well-read into comics so a lot of older stuff would probably have been known or already read by him. That's what makes this difficult.

He has subscriptions that he gets every Wednesday or Thursday from the comic shop, I just don't know what they are so I don't want to get him the same ones. So standalone series/miniseries are good suggestions because they're more self-contained. Tradebacks are actually a good call also, and basically any recent comic which despite having the story known to you might be nice, isn't necessary to enjoy the comic or a certain number of comics in the series (that said I'll probably get him a bunch of comics.)

Think if I phone the local comic shop they might tell me what series he's subscribed to? I might do that some time this week.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Has he read Invincible? I just got into that recently, and found it a fun read. It really picks up in the third TPB.

Other suggestions: Rose and Isabel by Ted Mathot, anything by Doug Tennapel (I've read Gear and Earthboy Jacobus, both good)...and might I suggest Atomic Lead Volume 3? Yes, it's a shameless plug, but hey, I'm darned proud of my first, 11-page comic.

I just finished Identity Crisis by DC which is pretty good. Now going through Batman's The Long Halloween and it's r0xx0rzing my b0xx0rzings right now. The classics, aside from Sandman, which are great are Kingdom Come, Marvels, Watchmen, Weapon X, Batman: Year One, and The Dark Knight Returns. Unfortunately, I'd reckon he's probably read all or most of those based on your description and the fact that my comic readership has been sporadic over the last several years.

I hope all comes out well for your friend, though.

I just finished Identity Crisis by DC which is pretty good. Now going through Batman's The Long Halloween and it's r0xx0rzing my b0xx0rzings right now. The classics, aside from Sandman, which are great are Kingdom Come, Marvels, Watchmen, Weapon X, Batman: Year One, and The Dark Knight Returns. Unfortunately, I'd reckon he's probably read all or most of those based on your description and the fact that my comic readership has been sporadic over the last several years.

I hope all comes out well for your friend, though.

I'd say the odds are he's read all or most of those as well. They're among some of the best known stories in comics. Same goes for The Sandman; it may be the single best comic series I've ever read, but odds are any comic fan worth their salt has at least given it a shot.

Some trades he might not have read may include Superman: Secret Identity and Superman for All Seasons. Those are two of my favourites that don't seem to be as widely read as something like Kingdom Come.

For recent comic series I'll second DarkeSword's Atomic Robo reccomendation. The first mini series finished just recently and it fits the awesome and hilarious criteria. It's also up for a couple of Eisner awards this year and I hope it wins actually if only to bring some more attention it's way.

The Watchmen for sure.

In addition to that; if you can find some "young justice" comics, that's a great series.

And depending on how much he wants to spend, the Marvel Civil war is a very decent read.

Unless of course you mean comics like Calvin and Hobbes. In which case; read Calvin and Hobbes. =D

I somewhat surprisingly don't care for manga much (surprising in light of slight weeaboo tendencies earlier in my life), but my brother got me reading BLAME! by Tsutomo Nihei, and I actually liked it quite a bit.

Although, "reading" probably isn't the right word for BLAME!, since it tends to be heavily reliant on atmosphere and mood rather than dialogue and exposition, to the extent that there are often large swaths of pages with absolutely no text whatsoever. In fact, I'd say the majority of the pages are purely visual, with the visuals being a weird blend of H.R. Giger and M.C. Escher with a bit of modern Japanese flair.

It's probably not for everyone, but I found its consistent tone of grim isolation a welcome change from the schizophrenically inconsistent tone of most Japanese productions ("Now we're fighting an epic battle now we're making silly faces with sweat drops over our heads now everything's all romantic now crazy slapstick stuff is happening now a guy's head just got ripped off aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh ^________^ !!!!!!").

EDIT:

Tsutomu Nihei also did a short Wolverine series called Snikt!. Reviews I've read didn't have much to say for the story, but the art looks pretty cool. I've been trying to find it for my brother, but it seems to be out of print.