OCR00310 - Xenogears "Soft Winds Cry"

Saunders

Xenogears 'Soft Winds Cry'

I'm not a fan of Xenogears or it's music, so it mightn't come as a surprise that I'm not really super fond of this remix.

I personally don't care for slower tunes, I'm into the faster upbeat stuff, but this is a very nice mix. Is the original in this case an in-town theme? It sounds like it. Good sounding, but personally boring.

• 4 months later...

I'm listenin' to it right now with a tankard o' ale and tears pourin' down me face. I find meself unable to express further anything 'bout it. The way it fades out, the way it starts, the shtuff in'tween...

We really need an emotican with a smile and tears...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am familiar with this song, must have gotten to it somewhere in my short venture through Xenogears (it's next on my playlist, so I'll become much more familiar with it soon). That being said, this doesn't really deviate much, if at all, from the source melodically. I would have liked to have heard something new.

Overall, the song is pretty, but I don't feel like the instruments mesh right. The synth contrasts with the drums (the snare hit is a little too loud for me, also), and the guitar just kind of feels...there. I find it distracting, and it takes away from the mix for me.

Ending is way too quick. Not crazy about the fade out, either.

Worth listening to, but nothing that I'm overly psyched about.

• 2 months later...

First of all I don't feel that this mix has improved on the original. The guitar is really all that I can comment on. It's good and fits that track quite well but the emotion that is in the original should be present because the mix is supposed to be a ballad, but unfortunately it is not there. The mix is ok and I enjoy listening to it but the original surpasses it rather quickly.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This feels so saccharinely sweet, especially that lead flute.

When trying to be evocative of an emotion, the process should not be forceful, and I feel this mix tries waaaay too hard to tug at the ol' heartstrings.

In the end, I don't really care for this mix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00310 - Xenogears "Soft Winds Cry"