Tetris Theme A Dubstep Track

Fredulom

Hey guys, thought I'd bring this track to the table :)

Dunno if a lot of you have heard of or like Dubstep, but I recently wrote this track and thought it might be an idea to show you all :) If I get some good responses I'll probably submit it...

The link to the track is HERE.

=Fredulom=

nice work man, dub is good stuff. only thing i noticed was when it seemed like parts of the song should be overflowing your eardrums, it was like there was a part of the song missing, but it might be cause the headphones i'm using here aren't that good. also, the random unrelated samples kinda seemed like a turn-off. it sounds like a lot of nitpicking, but overall i liked the song a lot - nice blend of old/new instruments.

dude. ok, i was not ready for that. i totally thot it was busted at the beginning with just the str8 up source but then...WHOA!

i have to say that the sample sound fx are nice. the weird siren-sounding thing in the background at 2:15 is obnoxious however. and the woomp-woomp at 1:07 i think needs to be a dif. instrument. i don't know what your options are but i think what it is right now is just a little off. too...whoompy? lol.

overall AMAZING start. love the transitions and the "naked" part at the end (touching back to the source and then picking up pthe dub again). can't wait to hear the next update!

This is ready.

Submit it now.

Do it.

Don't think about it.

Don't go "but I still have more to put onto it!".

Submit this now.

Only thing I'd change is the lowered volume of the main theme when the other stuff comes over it; I think keeping the volume the same all throughout would actually make it even better.

Now that I'm listening to it again for the fifth time, I think it's actually hurt by the lowered volume of the main melody.

Raise that back up and then submit this bitch. I can't see this getting a single "no".

Thanks for the comments guys :D I've added some more stuff to it since you've been speaking about it ;) I've still got a tad more to add, but I'd like your opinion on this first... The link is below ^.^

http://cid-4cb5879a4b016e7f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Fredulom|4s%20Music/tetris_dubstep-hi_res.mp3

p.s. I apologise for the filesize but some DJs asked for the track to shove in their Dubstep DJ sets... enjoy!! :D

=Fredulom=

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

like it

PRODUCTION

good

Snare is great. How did you do it?

STRUCTURE

I love the fills. Very good leading into next parts.

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

I liked it

Raise that back up and then submit this bitch. I can't see this getting a single "no".

Sorry, but I really must disagree here.

The thing I take issue most with this track is not enough interpretation of the source. The first :40 seconds are exactly from the source with no variation. You layer some stuff on top as it goes on, but from :40 - 2:00, you still have the original source song playing verbatum with some beats and synths on top. Same thing 2:53 to the end.

It's not that it's a bad thing necessarily, but it doesn't jive well with the interpretation requirements outlined in the submission guidelines, since the vast majority of the song is directly taken from the original.

If you're planning on submitting this to OCR, I think your best bet is to work on actually arranging the original theme and personalizing it for your track.

Only thing I'd change is the lowered volume of the main theme when the other stuff comes over it; I think keeping the volume the same all throughout would actually make it even better.

Now that I'm listening to it again for the fifth time, I think it's actually hurt by the lowered volume of the main melody.

I agree about this. Well, maybe the main theme sample should be played at the lower volume in the beginning as well. I think it's mixed to the right volume with the beat, it's just the change that is jarring.

I think it's a great, enjoyable track. I also think the use of so much original stuff verbatim would prevent it from getting to OCR. I'd say you'd have to replace the sample with original sequencing, and add in some tasty variation on the theme.

--Eino

My opinion is, that is just too fricken bad. I want to hear the best music possible and don't care if it's entirely original or not.

Let me restress that I didn't find anything wrong musically with using the direct sample. :) I doubt the judges or djp or anyone would. It's just that OCR has guidelines/standards for the kind of songs it wants and sufficient reintrepetation is required and direct sampling of the original track is discouraged. But happily, making good music and getting a track on OCR are two different things, not contradictory, but different. Hopefully at least, the stuff that gets on OCR is good music. :) But all the good music doesn't make it in, for some reasons or others.

On the other hand...legal issue with direct sampling?

Yeah, I guess, in principle. Usually there's also IP issues with using the composition, even if you resequenced it. The "tetris theme" happens to be a folk song (i.e. the composition is in public domain), though, so that's not an issue. Anyway, that's not an issue in the "why it wouldn't get on OCR" thing, in case you are wondering about that.

--Eino

disclaimer: I may be wrong about anything I said. I hope I made sense, though.

Nekofrog, who stole your account? I'm not a regular music judge, but I know this is definitely far from flawless. I expect you of all people to be more critical.

My fellow peers have already covered the whole schpeil, so now I'll go away.

I think this is a great dub track. You don't hear much dubstep around here. Needs more sub-bass tones IMO. Other than that the production is in tip top shape.

But as it was previously said, the biggest setback is the over-reliance of the sampled original music. Play the music back with your own instruments. There were many parts in this remix in which I wish I just heard your track. Using the original music as an intro is okay, but don't wear out its welcome.

Guys, the first thing I've gotta say is that I haven't directly sampled the track... I've downloaded a free VST called "magical8bitplugin" from the website of japanese chiptune band "YMCK" and replicated the track... I can give you the link if you don't believe me... [EDIT: here's the link y'all; http://www.ymck.net/english/download/index.html] In fact, I can give you the Cubase file if you still don't believe me, it's just MIDI... I don't think I should be penalised on that account just because I've been able to re-create the sounds... :S The only thing I actually sampled was the SFX from actually playing Tetris (the sounds of the blocks moving etc...)

And I understand about the lack of originality in terms of instrumentation... I'm actually doing a sequence atm in it where it sorta all breaks down after the arpeggiated bit, so that might pull it out a bit... But in fairness, this is a song that's meant to be played at Dubstep nights as well as being played here too, and the original melody is the best part of the source track in fairness, I guess I'm just slightly attached to it...

=Fredulom=

Guys, the first thing I've gotta say is that I haven't directly sampled the track... I've downloaded a free VST called "magical8bitplugin" from the website of japanese chiptune band "YMCK" and replicated the track... I can give you the link if you don't believe me... [EDIT: here's the link y'all; http://www.ymck.net/english/download/index.html] In fact, I can give you the Cubase file if you still don't believe me, it's just MIDI... I don't think I should be penalised on that account just because I've been able to re-create the sounds... :S

Heh, I apologize! Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't do side-by-side comparison with the actual original tetris theme (gameboy version I think?) and just *assumed* that it must have been a direct rip. :)

Thanks for the link actually, I'll check that VST out!

And I understand about the lack of originality in terms of instrumentation... I'm actually doing a sequence atm in it where it sorta all breaks down after the arpeggiated bit, so that might pull it out a bit... But in fairness, this is a song that's meant to be played at Dubstep nights as well as being played here too, and the original melody is the best part of the source track in fairness, I guess I'm just slightly attached to it...

I've got to say I can imagine it works great in a DJ set! I'd try to work up an "OCR Edit", especially on the intro - having the theme alone is probably superb in the live context, but doesn't work so well in OCR context.

--Eino

It's cool, just didn't want to get on the bad side of people from assuming it was a rip from the game... and yeah, tis the Gameboy version :) And yeah man, it's really good for NES/Gameboy synths and stuff :D

Yeah, thinking about it, I'd say an OCR edit might be a better idea cause it's slightly more demanding than a DJ set, since most people would be drinking at a venue and most things sound better at 100dB lol

=Fredulom=

First off I want to say that for some reason your topic title has bestowed upon me an unusual amount of joy. Probably because of the bluntness of the idea. Anywho...

Intro

Nothing new, not necessarily bad though, does go on a bit long though.

0:40

Not a bad little chainsaw synth you got going. Its a bit grating, but it could be because I'm just using my laptop speakers...let me go get my good headphones real quick...

Ah, much better. The sound effects in the background are nice but not exactly deal-makers. The change-up is also good but I feel you could go for cheap atmosphere in it, not necessarily this early into the mix but later.

1:20

Back into it, and aside from the nice minor edits made to the main synth, not enough has changed. I like the double-time on the bass but it still doesn't feel like enough

2:00

This is lining up nicely. The arp is a really nice change, but I'd really like to see something at the very least similar to that introduced with the main theme earlier.

2:53

Remember the cheap atmos thing I mentioned earlier? Perfect time for it here, just load up any old cheap pad and you're good to go for easy tension.

3:19

There is an unholy amount of Mario in this Tetris Mix, I feel at any minute my computer is going to start spewing goats or some shit, but I digress. The introduction of all of the elements back into the mix is long overdue but finally achieved at this point.

3:46

Back through the paces it feels like, same as all of the other sections. I would have liked to have seen some more slicing, or scratching, or something else over this section.

OVERALL

Its not bad by any means, just a bit repetitive towards the end. While I'm sure it would smash on a dancefloor, OCR is, better or worse, aimed at Joe average over there who, best case scenario, will be listening to it on his little Bose speakers.

I'll leave with positives by saying its nice to see someone else who's into electronic music. Also, the sub and the drums were rocking the entire way through. Plus your synth programming was also great, in short it works excellent in an electronic music/dubstep context, but not an OCR context.