Yet another remix of FFIX - You're Not Alone

SSB

I saw it's been a good 4 years since any were submitted for this song, and the only other orchestral mix of it sounds kind of dated. So I figured I'd take a shot at it.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/nuvn/aloneorch - update as of 5/26

Some notes:

- The structure of the song is basically done now. I will rework parts at the suggestion of others, but for the most part, this is how it will be.

- I especially need critique now on the instrumentation in specific areas

- Is the ending ok?

Mainly I'm looking to see if this is the right direction to take it. And also I want critique on the arrangement. Thanks.

The arrangement and orchestration is very good; you always change it up and move the melody around to different sections of the orchestra, which was relieving. It's actually a spot-on job, as I know how tricky this kind of writing can be. Keep up the good work.

SSB,

I have been lurking OCR for about six years now, and you have given me a reason to finally register. To be brutally honest, I opine that the quality of remixes has diminished. Take Livin' Large for example, a song that received a platform of approvals, but again, in my opinion, butchers the original masterpiece composed by the brilliant Nobuo Uematsu. It begs the question, are the judges in a clean state of mind when critiquing submittals?

There was a time when remixes complemented the originals, when one could faithfully listen to said remixes as if they were playing the video game all over again, without actually playing the game.

That said, this piece, although a WIP, has restored my faith and for that I thank you.

Edit: If you remain loyal to the composer, then his/her fans will be loyal to you.

Livin' Large isn't a remix of this You're Not Alone. It's of a track from Cheetahmen II - I think it was a tagging error, I assume because the songs have the same title. (It's a great remix of that song, though. XD)

Thanks for the positive feedback. But I find that the more I listen to this, the more I am disappointed with the way it's going. I'm going to overhaul it majorly or just start over entirely, I think.

my fav FF song ever so i cant go easy on you:

i think this is well thought out. there is a very keen element that screams desparation in this. i feel a remix or rearrangement should still carry the feeling originally portrayed and so you have. i like how it has an orchestral movement, a march, a movie style climax, and i even think i heard a carnival organ grinder type sound in there somewhere. its beautiful. it starts out a little "eehh" but it evolves into this cacophany of FF bliss that i enjoy experiencing. very well done. i hope the judges feel the same.