*NO* Phantasy Star 2 'Dezoris Winter'

djpretzel

It's been almost 3 weeks since I submitted 'SoM Distorted Star submission' so I thought of submitting my newest arrangement, from Phantasy Star II - the dezoris overworld theme done in my usual new age and ethnic style.

The ID Tags might be messed up due to mp3.com changing them. Sorry about that.

Title: Dezoris Winter

File URL: (2.7 MB, 2:57, 128kbps)

Game: Phantasy Star II

OC Handle: GrayLightning

Email: thegraylightning@yahoo.com

ps - URL: http://www.mp3.com/graylightning ( please add this url to my OC page, http://remix.overclocked.org/detailremixer.php?mixerid=292 )

* UPDATE * - GrayLightning has requested that a newer version of the mix be judged.

I noticed Vigilante's latest was allowed a remastered version while in OC judging, so I decided to rerecord and remaster mine a bit. I think the end result is much clearer and cleaner, and now is in 160kbps with VBR up to 192 as well. I also changed the bass from a fretless bass, which a couple of people didn't like, to this oud and cello duo, which seems to fit better with the ethnic style of this mix. Thanks.

So, if you didn't like the older version, give the newer version a try.

- DC13

ugh, that is one fake sounding fretless bass sample, compression and eq could help. The rest of the instrumentation is okay, good combination of short and long sustaining patches in the melody lines.

I don't think this arrangement is much of an improvement from the original. The way the chord progression was simplified in the first 2/3rds makes this very boring. And the off-key notes at 2:26ish make me cringe, I could not find this motif in the original, so I assume it's GL's idea. Those notes appear ealier too (1:02ish), but they don't sound as bad as they only clash against the bass and not against chords like they do in the 2nd iteration.

it's very good, i was going to give it a yes but after listening to it ~8 times I would rather see this improved a tiny bit before going on OCR.

no

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok, I just got my 'n' and 'o' keys replaced so it's time to get this shit out of the way again.

I have a feeling this is one of those mixes where the samples are going to carry it, which to me, is bad. Because there's nothing spectacular about the music itself. It's like, ok, your sounds are beautiful... er... well, that harp arpeggio thingamy was in a completely different key. I see what cotmm's talking about now. Also around the 2:30-2:50 area there are quite a few flubs in the note department. I dunno. This doesn't sound very solid to me. The sounds are great, but the execution is... well.. subpar. This is just my opinion though, so:

NO

D

GrayLightning deserves an apology for the length of time this submission has taken to get a final decision. "Life happened to many of us all at once" is a succint explanation (feel free to ask for details if wanted), and this mix has taken the brunt of the effect. I extend to him my sympathy, and I take my share of the blame for the delay.

Now, on to my vote. As per your request to have an updated version judged, Vigilante was specifically asked to supply us with a higher quality encode, because the poor recording in his submission was the only factor that would have otherwise resulted in a denial. Anyone *can* tell us they've updated their submissions, but don't expect every judge to go back and edit their votes accordingly. I actually preferred the older version to this update; the bass is overpowering and the remastered ambience sounds cluttered and messy. So I'll make my decision on the file that was submitted.

The qualities herein lie in the emotions that the music brings forth, mainly due to the lush samples and the cheerful melody from the original. Unfortunately, I find that they are obstructed from being enjoyed by technical fallacies, namely the notes slip-up at 1:24 - 1:26, which was quite a complex progression in the original, but not executed very well in this specific iteration. The strings collide with each other, falling out-of-sync with the percussion and bass. This I find much more culpable than the off-key accusation the second go around. The progression is rather similar to the source material, I'd have liked to see some more original improv and sequencing.

NO

You've got some wonderful ideas here, and I'd hate to see them not fully realized with an execution that doesn't do them justice. If you do resubmit with a fix-up in the controversial areas that has been described, we'll streamline the process as much as possible.

Well, we've run into the "wrong notes" issue that Israfel described beautifully in a post, but in this case they do sound pretty off to me. Which is a shame because the sound quality's there, there's some definite arrangement going on, and lord knows I'm a sucker for PS2.

I personally recommend resubmission, perhaps after consulting with mixers in or outside the judges panel to clear up any uncertainty about the specifics involved. Sorry for the delay on this one, as well.