The Intrinsic Worth of Classical Musicians

xRisingForce

Pretty good stuff; better than I was expecting, to be honest.

I think your melody plays it a little too safe in regards to passing tones, but your progressions are solid enough, and things are interesting. A few chords I think would be more expressive with a different bass note, but solid work overall.

This is the type of conversation I can appreciate. I'm glad you took things seriously enough to respect the deadline. I'm not as dismissive about you as I once was, and I think in a different context, without paragraphs upon paragraphs of text, we'd actually get along pretty well.

Pretty good stuff; better than I was expecting, to be honest.

I think your melody plays it a little too safe in regards to passing tones, but your progressions are solid enough, and things are interesting. A few chords I think would be more expressive with a different bass note, but solid work overall.

Thanks man. The melody's actually my favorite part of this song, haha. Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but it definitely expresses what I set out to do, no? Check out the string break towards the end. There are a ton of grace-note passing tones. Regardless, does usage of passing tones (or lack thereof).. in itself make a good melody? :???:

This is the type of conversation I can appreciate. I'm glad you took things seriously enough to respect the deadline. I'm not as dismissive about you as I once was, and I think in a different context, without paragraphs upon paragraphs of text, we'd actually get along pretty well.

Would anyone like to continue this discussion over AIM? We could actually make use of the chatroom function, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, u can definitely find a lot of info online for beginning guitar -- and most of it is free. All kinds of videos on youtube and stuff -- but beware....

I just got from the "beginner" level to the "intermediate" level -- but it was with help from an online course that I had to pay for. I had started with the free stuff but the problem was that I couldn't ORGANIZE the free lessons in any kind of moderately rational way.. I was always switching between various videos and there was no order to anything. So I was trying to do scales when I should have just been dealing with really basic picking technique and etc.

So eventually I decided I need to do an actual online course -- http://consumerfilter.org/products/jamorama -- it actually worked pretty well! I might recommend you try it out.

cheers :tomatoface:

• 4 months later...

classical performance is no different from a bunch of foreign laborers raising a building provided a blueprint, and even as obscure of an art form architecture is, i've never heard of anyone jizzing over the workforce

and that's all reading sheet music is, following a blueprint, and the stricter the notations read the more similar various interpretations will be, to the point where there is no room for interpretation and it will merely be an embodiment of arrogance. it is both obscenely arrogant and futile to try and argue that anyone's interpretation of another's work could possibly house more validity than the composer's. to warp a pre-existing song and then argue that it is more valid than it was, or just as, no matter how open-minded i approach the situation, could only fall under arrogant faggotry

yet in composing and arranging, as many/most of you have built and still seek your worth as a musician on the latter rather than the former, it seems you are all way too inclined to dismiss my words as those of a random stranger's (with, of course, the argumentative bolster of numbers), so you can continue to do what you do in your comfort zones

think about it, it crosses over into pretty much every other art form. the only reason actors are a necessity to cinematography is because the quality of our cg does not yet cross over to believable reality (and because we cannot simulate realistic voices). in music however, soon enough using real instruments to record will be an obsolete relic of our past as the quality of samples are already blurring the line between artificiality and reality

excellent performers are banal and a dime a dozen, extraneous and unnecessary, and just to answer someone from way back.. performance is NOT a requisite to the music making process.