Chrono Trigger 'Zeal Mix'

HoboKa

like the marching snare, but the ambience seems too loud for the first minute. you dont really have much bass in there but the tymps, which sound nice. a little brite. tempo change is a good idea, maybe make it quicker tho. but yea the main thing i worry about is the voice pad being too loud.

good job tho!

I feel you need to do more panning, it feels a lot of the instruments are in the middle area.

Also, remember that a lot of the Sytrus pads stack on fifths, so for instance if you put in a "C", it may sound like a C and a G, or even a different note entirely. Some portions seem too dense because of this, so be careful with the background.

The percussion is pretty well balanced, but the pads are what bugs me. Also when writing for orchestral instruments, long held notes rarely stay the same volume. It makes it seem really synthetic if it is held the same volume, this is especially important for strings and woodwinds.

Despite this, your atmosphere and overall quality seems to be improving with each song you do. Probably the main criticisms of this song are that it does not change enough, could use better synths, a little boring, and too dense of a background. It would make a good background song for a game or something, but it's not active enough to be put on an ipod in my opinion.

I like that starting pad synth. You percussion is pretty nice too.

In addition to what blue already said, I'd love to hear some more variety in the instruments. You've got a lot of long, sustained pads, orchestral stuff and synths in there which gives you a thick wall of sound that can get tedious if it's not broken up. Maybe some sharper "hit" sounds like chimes or something. Hopefully I'm making some kind of sense.

You've gotten quite a bit better since I last popped into one of your WIP threads. I admire your perseverance. :)

Orchestral percussion is good. The brass/brasslike synth and the stringish pads sound like they're from the soundtrack to a really cheap 80's fantasy flick, so that's no good. The drum kit(?) that comes in after that is ridiculously swamped in reverb (especially the snare), while the hi-hat-like thingy is dry as fuck, why?

Make the beats less random. Try to keep the bass-drum on beat 1 and 3 and the snare on 2 and 4, you can add crazy ghost notes and snare rolls after you've made a steady beat.

The 'main' part after the intro seems drawn out and random, it needs coherence, a steady progression, a melody to catch the listener's attention, really, anything but long drawn-out pads doing seemingly random notes (though they're at least not dissonant this time around).

Transition to the final section with the pulsing bass-drum and the choir is awkward though the section itself is a good idea, try to work on your transitions.

The soundscape and general atmosphere is good, original instrumentation and all that, but that's old news. Work on your melodies, rhythm, chord progressions and the general structure of the piece, try to plan ahead and don't just enter the notes one by one. In short, try to keep a keen sight of the bigger picture. Also, how about making a mix not based on a midi rip next time? ;)

Meh, I like my style the way it is - and it's steadily improving. Production issues are noted though, and I'll get to those when I'm actually done composing this piece. This actually flows well, can't you feel it Tensei? It's on beat (more or less), stays on key - as you said, and doesn't deviate from the atmosphere and mood. Moreover, it maintains a consistent feel as well as a good - if unorthodox a progression.

I don't like the way that the uber big hitters make music here, except for maybe Zircon and Protricity (even though he's a douche IRL). Shoot me down if you will Tensei, but your way of making music is only one of a thousand other possibilities. I don't want to conform to your ideals of music - and I'll bet that many of the high-ups here will say dur, that IS the only way; well you and they are wrong - I lack sufficient grounds to support my argument, but there are many people and veteran composers, such as Daniel Lippert who would disagree with your idea of how a compo should progress and flow.

Stuff

Hey, which site are we on again? OCR? I was under the impression that you were planning to submit this some time in the future, so I'm looking at this from what I consider the OCR standard. I try to keep my own opinions about music out of this, I just tell you what I think you need to do to stand any chances at the judges panel, and I know that you'll get no'd again if you submit a song with barely any cohesion/direction.

Also:

This actually flows well, can't you feel it Tensei?

No it doesn't and no I can't.

I'm not here to shove my 'ideals of making music' down your throat, I'm here to help you out, that's what the wip forum is for. If this were on youtube I'd probably post something along the lines of LOL ELECTRONIC MUSIC SUCXX and be done with it, but as I said, here I try to keep my feedback free of bias.

I dedicated time and effort to give you an overview of what I think you should/could still improve, so stop taking it like a fucking personal attack.

I don't understand why you call ME out while I gave a shitload of useful feedback and Neko for example was all like LOL MIDI RIP.

Hey, which site are we on again? OCR? I was under the impression that you were planning to submit this some time in the future, so I'm looking at this from what I consider the OCR standard. I try to keep my own opinions about music out of this, I just tell you what I think you need to do to stand any chances at the judges panel, and I know that you'll get no'd again if you submit a song with barely any cohesion/direction.

I'm not here to shove my 'ideals of making music' down your throat, I'm here to help you out, that's what the wip forum is for. If this were on youtube I'd probably post something along the lines of LOL ELECTRONIC MUSIC SUCXX and be done with it, but as I said, here I try to keep my feedback free of bias.

I dedicated time and effort to give you an overview of what I think you should/could still improve, so stop taking it like a fucking personal attack.

Haha..."no bias", that's laughable. But I guess you're right about that: you DID take the time and effort to critique my work. And maybe I'm just a thin-skinned tool, but I assumed you were doing this just to bash me since you obviously don't like me, much like several of the other elitist ass hats on this site. My apologies there.

Haha..."no bias", that's laughable. But I guess you're right about that: you DID take the time and effort to critique my work. And maybe I'm just a thin-skinned tool, but I assumed you were doing this just to bash me since you obviously don't like me, much like several of the other elitist ass hats on this site. My apologies there.

What the hell even gave you the idea that I 'don't like you', I rarely even talk with you. :(

And yes, no bias. Seriously, if you only like Prot and Zircon's stuff (whose pieces are VERY melody-based by the way) out of all the OCRemixers, then it's safe to say that you don't like music that generally gets accepted on OCR, thus it really wouldn't make sense to try and get accepted here because you would have to make music you apparently dislike :|

I mean, if you look at people like Skrypnyk, who in my eyes generally make music that quite resembles your stuff ( what I would call no direction etc.), their mixes that actually got posted deviate a LOT from what they usually make (at least to my ears Skrypnyks stuff in #ocrwip is completely different from Last Night a DJ kidnapped Mallow). My point is, if you want to get accepted, you'll either have to conceed that your way of composition isn't effective for OCR and try a different, more structured/melodic approach or just say to yourself "Screw OCR, I want to make music my way".

Remember, what is posted on OCR doesn't define good music, the only one who can define that for you is yourself.

Well, I'm glad this didn't turn out to be another flame war, though I was certainly asking for it. Alright, I'll consider your words Tensei, like actually consider them. Though I can't guarantee that my music will ever please you or the others here.

As for this wip though, I'll keep it this way and see how it turns out with my collaborator, whom shall remain anomynous for now unless he wishes to be known.

I still think you have something against me though (perhaps I deserve it at times albeit)

What the hell even gave you the idea that I 'don't like you', I rarely even talk with you. :(

And yes, no bias. Seriously, if you only like Prot and Zircon's stuff (whose pieces are VERY melody-based by the way) out of all the OCRemixers, then it's safe to say that you don't like music that generally gets accepted on OCR, thus it really wouldn't make sense to try and get accepted here because you would have to make music you apparently dislike :|

I mean, if you look at people like Skrypnyk, who in my eyes generally make music that quite resembles your stuff ( what I would call no direction etc.), their mixes that actually got posted deviate a LOT from what they usually make (at least to my ears Skrypnyks stuff in #ocrwip is completely different from Last Night a DJ kidnapped Mallow). My point is, if you want to get accepted, you'll either have to conceed that your way of composition isn't effective for OCR and try a different, more structured/melodic approach or just say to yourself "Screw OCR, I want to make music my way".

Remember, what is posted on OCR doesn't define good music, the only one who can define that for you is yourself.

Hate to admit it, but they're valid points all. I stand corrected Tensei.

I still think you have something against me though (perhaps I deserve it at times albeit)

Dude, I don't understand this, I haven't had more than a few words with you in the last few months, so I don't see how you can interpret that as 'having something against you', I've just been busy, I haven't talked with anyone else from the forums. It's the fucking internet, I don't hold grudges agains people on the internet.

This it the WIP forum, I honestly think not responding would be a more common form of hate since then your post just sinks out of sight.

Anyways, I don't think you should let "bad" comments bring you down. Technically every song has bad points, but if you at least realize what the bad points are, you can cover it up with awesomeness.

Don't confuse constructive criticism with hate!

I think you just need to find your "groove." If you truly are happy with your song, then no one's comments can bring you down.

One little bit of general advice I forgot to mention before: find a couple artists who have a style similar to what you want to create. They can be professional or fellow remixers, it doesn't matter. Then listen to their stuff and analyze it. Figure out what works and how they put the track together. Try to figure out what makes their style so effective and their sound so memorable. If you can break down these strengths, you can start applying them to your own work and I guarantee you will see improvement.

One little bit of general advice I forgot to mention before: find a couple artists who have a style similar to what you want to create. They can be professional or fellow remixers, it doesn't matter. Then listen to their stuff and analyze it. Figure out what works and how they put the track together. Try to figure out what makes their style so effective and their sound so memorable. If you can break down these strengths, you can start applying them to your own work and I guarantee you will see improvement.

Yeah, I've been told that before several times - to the frustration of a lot of judges and fellow remixers I'm sure.