What's it called when...?

Yuiopdude

Ok, so I don't know exactly what this is called, so I'm asking it here... because it's music related... in this is a music related site... and... it makes sense?

ANYWAY, What's it called when, in a song, the music kinda almost finishes, and then it comes back in full force, leading you to believe it's either ending or going into a soft part and then it punches you in the face with everything it has...

DistantJ achieved this, somewhat, in "Cryptic Marble." at about 1:40-1:46... It leads out, then hits you with something. I'm sure I have other songs with better examples but this is the one in my head right now that I'm listening to.

Is this sort of thing called anything in particular? I just want to actually call it something other then "It gets all low and stuff, then PUNCHES you in the face with awesomeness!" And do you know of any other mixes here that have the same effect? I like those kinds of songs :-P.

Thanks in advance!

Not too sure what the effect is...

But I'll gladly link you to two awesome remixes that have this effect; near the ends of the song too, so that just as you think the song is dying down... it hits you in the face with another bout of awesomeness! Just before it winds down again. =(

Anyway, there's:

Sephfire, SGX - Mario Party Intense Color

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01461/

and

Big Giant Circles - Eastern Ice Field

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01566/

There might be more out there.. but these are the only two OCReMixes that I can think of with this effect.. And thanks for pointing out Distant J's track, haven't heard it before either.

Cheers. =]

I was thinking something like "Faux (SP?) Ending" or "False Ending," but wanted to make sure it didn't have a better, cooler sounding name then that. Really too bad if it really is just that...

And also, I listened to eastern Ice, and HAVE the Mario paint one... didn't actually notice the eastern ice one had it (probably because I didn't listen to it all the way through, wasn't really my thing)... but a re-listen has made me get it because of this effect (and because I didn't really listen to the entire thing, so I didn't hear some of the parts that I actually skipped over >.>... teaches me to do THAT again...)

Anyway, I'm sure there are more mixes here other then those three that do this, I'll have to see what I have right now... but not RIGHT right now, it's too late for that kinda stuff...

The original track that was pointed out - I wouldn't call that anything really. It doesn't seem like it's going to end because the "suspended cymbal" comes in right there at the end of the flute riff so I know something else is going to happen. The Mario Paint one - that definitely has a false ending.

There are also "tags." For an example, go to www.noballsnoglory.net and listen to Dale North's "Knight Rider with Soy Sauce." At the end, that's called a tag.

Eastern Ice Fields does a great job of this.

One that does it even more completely is 'Earthworm Jim 2 Wormaphobic Disorder' by Protricity.

'Earthworm Jim Acrophobia' by about:blank also accomplishes this somewhat. But it never fades out all the way, just makes you think it might.

I don't have a link to an actual song file, but I do to a video file, and it's not an OCRemix, but Appalachian Springs by Copland has a very dramatic hit.

I know it's fairly slow for most of it, but if you start at about 4:20, it picks up and around 5:30 the dramatic "punch" comes in.

BTW, I miss BLAST.

Deceptive (or interrupted) cadence: V to any chord except I (typically vi or VI). This is considered a weak cadence because of the "hanging" (suspended) feel it invokes. One of the most famous examples is in the coda of the Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, BWV 582 by Johann Sebastian Bach: Bach repeats a chord sequence ending with V over and over, leading the listener to expect resolution to I --- only to be thrown off completely with a thunderous fermata on a D flat major chord. Following a pregnant pause, the "real" ending sets in.

Random facts you get from having a classically trained pianist for a brother.

Grr me and my not being a musician... I get lost in all this music talk... So I asked my dad the same question, being in the opera and teaching voice lessons, I figured he might know...

He knew what I was talking about, but he didn't know if it was called anything special... so I'm lead to believe that the only real thing to call it is either a "false outro" or a "false ending." I might have to find out if any of any of my friends who are into this kinda stuff know... though I highly doubt it if the people here at OCR don't really know for sure :-P...

dPaladin;

ANYWAY, What's it called when, in a song, the music kinda almost finishes, and then it comes back in full force, leading you to believe it's either ending or going into a soft part and then it punches you in the face with everything it has...

I believe that was the inital question, then the thread more or less got derailed onto what you were describing. I could be wrong.

ok this isn't a deceptive cadence.

all this can really be called is a bridge or a transistion.

getting really soft before a louder section is great for making the loud section's entrance feel louder/bigger/more important. it's the contrast of dynamics that will do that.

or if you do this at the end of a song, and return with a main theme or whatever...could be called a coda or recapitulation.

I believe that was the inital question, then the thread more or less got derailed onto what you were describing. I could be wrong.

I can see how you could get mixed up, but the rest were pretty much right... but I find a LOT of the music being listed, the part that's being described happens at/near the end of the song, which isn't bad, it's still the same effect, but I find it can be used to bring in the climax/main theme of the song too, if used right...

but again, I'm no musician, so I could be completely wrong =p, it's just... calling it a "false ending" is misleading in that it almost has to come in right near the end... which isn't always the case...