OCR: Photographers

Katsurugi

Hey. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum pursued photography as an interest too. I think that G-T and a couple of others do. But it's been a while since we've had a thread about this. Anyone who wants to get into photography is welcome to post as well! There are some fundamentals that I can explain, but not so much specifics on gear. There's just a lot of gear out there.

Currently, I'm using a Canon Rebel T2 (300x). It's a film camera, despite digital gaining loads of popularity. Though film seems to be a bit outdated, there are a good number of advantages of using film over digital. But in the end, it doesn't particularly matter which format you use. The lens I have to use right now are EF 28 f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.8 and EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5. My favorite films to use as of right now would have to be Kodak Tri-X for black & white and Fujifilm Superia 400 for casual color shots. This weekend, I'll be attempting to shoot with some Kodak Portra 400 NC. Imma going to my cousin's wedding.

Anyway, photography is a great hobby that makes you go out and do stuff like travel or explore. But it is arguably one of the more expensive hobbies. I've already spent around about 500 dollars on everything so far and I'm just beginning too.

If anyone wants to check out my stuff, I made a flickr account just about a month ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26002162@N04/

Very impressive! I'm a bit of a photo nut myself. I don't have a professional camera like you do. but I love taking extravagant and artisy photo like the ones in your Flickr page. Actually what I like to do is take B&K photos. I love the amout of depth you can get with B&K, espically when taking photos of people. It seems to bring out more personality and emotion IMHO.

Hey nice work Katsurugi. My favorites are Egyptian Exhibit and Snow Recliners.

And yes, I'm into photography as well and it's a very expensive hobby. You said you spent $500? I've spent $5,000. *_* However, the more I spend on this hobby, the more I feel think it's worth it.

Here are a few of my faves I've taken. The rest can be found at http://global-trance.com/ under the photography section.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo48.jpg

I wish my hobbies (DJing and Photography) weren't so expensive. My physical fitness interest is starting to get expensive too.

Very impressive! I'm a bit of a photo nut myself. I don't have a professional camera like you do. but I love taking extravagant and artisy photo like the ones in your Flickr page. Actually what I like to do is take B&K photos. I love the amout of depth you can get with B&K, espically when taking photos of people. It seems to bring out more personality and emotion IMHO.

Keep taking pictures! No matter what camera you have, as long as it's halfway decent, you'll get a good photo as long as you capture the moment correctly. But I find that with professional gear, it's much more versatile so you can adjust for the what you need at a given time. Even if you don't take artsy type photographs, it's always nice to have some sort of souvenir from a vacation or something that has a lot of sentimental value. I feel guilty sometimes when taking those types of pictures with my camera. But I have to realize that it still is a good picture even if I can't directly see its worth at the time. If you check closely, some of my photos aren't even taken with my SLR but with digital point and shoot cameras. :D

Hey nice work Katsurugi. My favorites are Egyptian Exhibit and Snow Recliners.

And yes, I'm into photography as well and it's a very expensive hobby. You said you spent $500? I've spent $5,000. *_* However, the more I spend on this hobby, the more I feel think it's worth it.

I wish my hobbies (DJing and Photography) weren't so expensive. My physical fitness interest is starting to get expensive too.

Yeah, I think there's a lot more money to be spent... But if I spent close to 5000 I think that maybe I would be done with buying lenses and stuff. Still, they could also break and you'd have to re-buy a 1000 dollar lens or something. They're just ridiculous if you ask me. Anyway, the two images you mentioned are my top viewed ones. The exhibit picture was surprisingly more popular than I had initially thought. People in general seem to dig panoramas. They often get a good number of views, but I have a problem of taking panoramas with anything actually interesting in them.

I would like to be able to take pictures of people or even street photography. I've asked a lot of people already, many have said no. Maybe it's my social skills or something, but it's just hard to find someone willing. I did have a friend "model" for me, but we were just mainly hanging out and I was attempting to catch candids. But I often failed. My last resort is to use craigslist to search for models who will trade their time for pictures.

I know more of you people are out there. *cough* McVaffe. Don't be shy!

Yea I've bought two L glass lenses which were about the same price as the camera body. It's ridiculous. Also I threw down $400 for just the external flash by itself. I think I will be investing in a macro lens next once I decide I want to buy new camera equipment... Macro lenses, as awesome as they are to use for tiny objects, also give interesting results in modeling shots. :D

good stuff guys. here is my flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wushuplaya/

i only have 1 lens right now.. Sigma 18-50 f2.8. i plan on getting flash next, then the Nikon 85 f1.8. but yea this stuff is pretty expensive

I bought a flash as well, but it's not fully compatible with my camera. It's the 430EZ which supports A-TTL, but not E-TTL. I didn't really know that my camera was that modern... Anyway, it didn't cost me too much considering other stuff, about 26 dollars. But the 50mm, or nifty fifty as some people call it, is really a great deal. At least the Canon version has this amazing shallow depth of field and beautiful bokeh to it. Call me a nerd, but I love just looking through the viewfinder and just turning the focusing ring. I hear the Nikon one performs great as well. It's definitely one of the things that the photography industry has got right for a change.

Anyway, I'm looking into buying my younger sister a fully manual camera. Canon AV-1 or a Nikon FE/FE2 with a 50mm. This is going to be her graduation gift. And for subsequent birthdays and whatnot, I can buy her third party lenses. woot. The gift that makes future gifts less bothersome. :D

Anyway, I'm looking into buying my younger sister a fully manual camera. Canon AV-1 or a Nikon FE/FE2 with a 50mm. This is going to be her graduation gift. And for subsequent birthdays and whatnot, I can buy her third party lenses. woot. The gift that makes future gifts less bothersome. :D

why not a modern digital camera? i know its expensive, but not everybody enjoys developing film and scanning it. plus i'm sure you could find one of those old EOS 300 or Nikon D50 or something for really cheap

I actually got my bachelors in photography. Right now I'm working for Ritz camera, so in terms of equipment, I get to use whatever we have in the store. From the Canon A570 to the Nikon D300.

Here's a few on my pictures.

ChristmasCard.jpg

laura3inprocesssmall.jpglaura7inprogresssmall.jpg

An installation piece on mine, composed of 48 individual cyanotypes.

100_0860.jpg

dA, because my flickr just has random crap on it -> http://bluelblock.deviantart.com/

flickr just for the fun of it -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizz_rinker/

I use an old manual film Nikon and my beloved Canon EOS 20-D. I bought the camera (or rather, my parents bought it for me) in early 2006. I'd like to get a macro lens but unfortunately I'm lacking the moneys for that. I threw down $400 for the external flash alone :<.

And ten bucks when I misplaced the lens cap at a formal event. Stupid evening dress not having pockets...

I shoot photos for fun, but usually only when on an adventure of some kind. My wussy arsenal is a Nikon FM with a 24mm Vivitar, 28-80mm Tamron, and a defunct 200mm telephoto, as well as a Nikon D50 with stock lense.

When I shot film I almost always used Velvia 50. Fantastic film for doing my long exposure photography. You can see some of my work at http://directorflik.deviantart.com

I haven't done anything in quite some time. Hopefully I can get back out there someday and do something new.

why not a modern digital camera? i know its expensive, but not everybody enjoys developing film and scanning it. plus i'm sure you could find one of those old EOS 300 or Nikon D50 or something for really cheap

She wants one. There is just something about digital that kind of bothers me. Old school film ones are fully mechanical and some can be used even without a battery, albeit with a limited shutter speed. Technically, they should last a lifetime and repairs can be made with moderate ease. However, with digital ones, fixing them could be a problem especially if yours is an older model. Even over time, you will have to be forced to purchase a new digital camera as over use of the sensor will make it more hypersensitive to light. In film cameras, the sensor is the frame of film itself which is switched out with every picture you take. Of course this is just an observation that I have made with the current state of technology. Maybe later there will be another jump in nanotechnology to help make better digital cameras. Even if my sister does take more pictures with her digital p&s rather than the film camera, I'd feel better investing in something that retains a better longevity. It's all good.

I'm getting ready for my cousin's wedding. I have some Tri-X 400 and Kodak Portra 400 NC locked and loaded. I'll let you know how it goes. I also have to find a more convenient place to have my Tri-X developed other than sending it out to a friend in Belgium... but considering it's relatively cheap for international mail and he does it for free... it's also quite a deal! :D

I managed to misplace the lens cap to the stock lens already though...wonderful.

And ten bucks when I misplaced the lens cap at a formal event. Stupid evening dress not having pockets...

It seems as if people have trouble with lens caps. I haven't lost mine yet, but maybe it's just a matter of time. But I did manage to lose a circular polarizer... it wasn't too great though. It was a simple coated Hoya one. I hear that the multicoated ones Hoya makes produce much better results. Inevitably, I'd have to make the investment anyway, right? Circular polarizer is probably my favorite filter then followed by neutral density. If only I could find an ND filter for my A520, then that would be pretty cool...

For those of you who are fortunate to own a DSLR (it's ironic that I work at a camera store, yet don't have one, myself) I want to make one huge lens recommendation. Get yourself a good 50mm (or 55mm) lens. Something that's around f/1.2 to f/1.8. No zoom, please. Trust me, this is the one lens that everyone needs, but one one buys. With one of those lenses you can shoot pretty close, lightning fast, and you can get an awesomely shallow depth of field.

They start at $99 for a Canon 50mm f/1.8 and $129 for a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.

Trust me, they may not zoom, but they're the best value you can get in a lense.

Awesome.Photothread!

Some truly good stuff in there. I especially dig Black mages' stuff. Beautiful.

This is my (temporary) site.

Nik.dphoto.com

I use an old analogue Pentax K2 (love it) and a Nikon D50 (not as romantic, lotsa timesaving)

Feedback is immensly appreciated :D

your site is awesome, and currently bookmarked. awesome work!

I've got a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (my first Digital SLR though I've used analog SLRs before). It's pretty nice - a lot better than my other cameras. I haven't gotten any other lenses for it yet. I'm looking to get one of their image stabilizer lenses and a macro lens as I like to do extreme close up shots.