OCR: Photographers

Katsurugi

All right. So by means of random luck, I have an opportunity to take pictures of a girl that I do not know. But she wants to have portraits taken of her in a sort of sexy sort of way. From the e-mails we have been exchanging, I think we're on two different levels. Though she wants to have something like Maxim/Victoria's Secret type photos, I don't think she actually knows what it takes to get them. I am in the midst of compiling a list of ideas and poses. I am quite familiar with the Victoria's Secret catalogue. Don't ask.

If anyone has done any sort of work like this before, that'd be absolutely perfect. Most likely not though... still, if you have a pose that you really like of fashion models, don't hesitate to post or link me to them. I'm also looking for some classic pin up model poses as well.

All right. So by means of random luck, I have an opportunity to take pictures of a girl that I do not know. But she wants to have portraits taken of her in a sort of sexy sort of way. From the e-mails we have been exchanging, I think we're on two different levels. Though she wants to have something like Maxim/Victoria's Secret type photos, I don't think she actually knows what it takes to get them. I am in the midst of compiling a list of ideas and poses. I am quite familiar with the Victoria's Secret catalogue. Don't ask.

If anyone has done any sort of work like this before, that'd be absolutely perfect. Most likely not though... still, if you have a pose that you really like of fashion models, don't hesitate to post or link me to them. I'm also looking for some classic pin up model poses as well.

why are you quite familiar with the victoria's secret catalog?

You might want to clarify with her what she wants and what you're capable of and work out an agreement. She's not going to let you take pictures of her if she is wanting something and you wanting something else.

why are you quite familiar with the victoria's secret catalog?

I told you not to ask! Actually, I browse through that and other magazines to get a good idea of how photos are taken. Images are on every single page. Advertising is a powerful force that you can learn from even if you're not purchasing their products. My sister gets them and also other magazines like Vogue and In Style. She gives them to me when she's done with them.

Don't worry, G-T. We're going to be discussing stuff and exchanging pictures and things like that on Friday. I've already stated what I'm capable of and what level of photography I'm currently at. I've already shown her some of my images and I think we have some sort of understanding already. It's all good. We're going to meet on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday was probably the worst day in my "career" as a photographer. My model was supposed to meet me at Coney Island at 3 PM. I had to stop off at school and then take the PATH train into Manhattan and then take a subway train to Brooklyn. All of this probably took me about 3 hours and 30 minutes. I arrived late. I was glad that she didn't arrive yet as I hate to keep other people waiting. I call her and find out where she is and she's being very vague. At some later point in time, she says that she'll arrive at 5. All the meanwhile, the sun outside was fairly good and constantly taunting me. Anyway, long story short, she never arrived. It was around 6:30 when she was about 15 minutes away. By then the sun had gone and it became very hazy out. There was no point in taking pictures at all that day. I have better things to do rather than sit in a subway station for an hour and a half. Maybe this is why I never shot portraits before. People suck. I should probably stick with my landscape and architecture stuff.

:(

I'm thinking of (finally) getting a new mid-to-high end camera to replace the one I lost/got stolen in Spring '07. I can't remember the specific model, but I was thinking the cheapest one with a full 35 mm sensor, so that the picture I see through the lens is what actually gets taken. Can't remember which model it is, though.

So yesterday was probably the worst day in my "career" as a photographer. My model was supposed to meet me at Coney Island at 3 PM. I had to stop off at school and then take the PATH train into Manhattan and then take a subway train to Brooklyn. All of this probably took me about 3 hours and 30 minutes. I arrived late. I was glad that she didn't arrive yet as I hate to keep other people waiting. I call her and find out where she is and she's being very vague. At some later point in time, she says that she'll arrive at 5. All the meanwhile, the sun outside was fairly good and constantly taunting me. Anyway, long story short, she never arrived. It was around 6:30 when she was about 15 minutes away. By then the sun had gone and it became very hazy out. There was no point in taking pictures at all that day. I have better things to do rather than sit in a subway station for an hour and a half. Maybe this is why I never shot portraits before. People suck. I should probably stick with my landscape and architecture stuff.

:(

Sorry to hear this happened, but it does happen. I do have to say the lack of punctuality on both ends is a bit unprofessional but it's a bit more forgivable when both parties are late. When the models take things seriously (and are quite gorgeous) then the pics are worth it with whatever hassle it takes to get it to happen. I know from experiencing how these things are when it turns out great or turns out less than satisfactory.

My dad has a really nice Nikon DSLR and my sister has a pretty Nice Sony Cybershot, I have nothing :( so I just use theirs. I don't have much online, but here are some pics I took while in Italy that I'm particularly fond of.

DSC01542.sized.jpg

DSC01706.sized.jpg

DSC01858.sized.jpg

• 6 months later...

Wow, I can't believe this thread got buried so deep! Time for some grave digging of a worthy thread...

About a month ago I bought a new Canon SX10 IS, one of the best super-zooms out there, and I have been putting it to good use (with the help of my new 21.5" widescreen monitor I got for Christmas, super sexy)...

I've been using Adobe Lightroom 2, lately. I like the "photography-centric Photoshop" nature of the program.

Parkway_Snow_by_DerHexenmeister.jpg

And yes, I've also been experimenting with Photomatix Pro 3 to do some HDR stuff. I think this is one of my better results. The thing I've noticed about HDR, is that it's hard to nail that exact moment when an image is at its peak, without going overboard with the HDR-ification.

IMG_0247_8_9-1.jpg

No real tweakage on this one...just cookie-y deliciousness!

Mrs__Santa__s_Magical_Cookies_by_DerHexenmeister.jpg

My parents gave me a Pentax K200D for Christmas. It's quite the step up from the camera they gave me last year (which happens to be the same brand name as our washer and dryer... if that's not the sign of a cheap camera I don't know what is!). I'm still figuring out the ins and outs of SLR photography, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Here's some of the shots I've taken since Christmas:

3141579383_17d1d8f819.jpg

Shot from my bedroom window using my Dad's telephoto lens. (currently used in my sig!)

3161276381_01ac72195a.jpg

Mom's Christmas Village Miniatures

And here are a few I've taken with my old camera:

3066421021_310e4a03f8.jpg

Shot this one on a rainy night while walking home from work.

3099521224_65ee1576d1.jpg

The Christmas tree in my apartment.

I purchased a new camera last Summer. A Canon EOS 450D. I haven't really been able to try it out much, and when I did i didn't get the results I wanted (much to learn still).

My gallery on deviantart: http://rayfalling.deviantart.com/gallery/

Most of my works are simple nature photographs. I'm not so much interested in making technically perfect pictures, but rather I want to capture moments that inspire me.

I've taken better pictures, but these are what I have for now. I don't mind helpful critique, even though I believe I know what I could do better.

100_0423-1.jpg

100_0486-1.jpg

The rearview mirror closer to the photographer's perspective was an accident, but if you notice, it's adjacent to the other driver's rearview mirror.

100_0679.jpg

I coulda' got a cleaner shot. It was pretty cold that day.

My parents gave me a Pentax K200D for Christmas.

Dude, NICE! Pentax makes an excellent camera, and the K200D is one of their best. Did you shoot those with the 18-55 kit lens? Wonderfully shallow depth-of-field on those macros, especially if it is the f/3.5-5.6 lens.

And yes, GE cameras are pure trash. Similar can be said for Kodak, Sanyo, Samsung, Polaroid, etc.

Did you shoot those with the 18-55 kit lens? Wonderfully shallow depth-of-field on those macros, especially if it is the f/3.5-5.6 lens.
That's the one. I've only got two lenses as of now, the Pentax kit one, and my father's old Rikenon 135mm 1:2.8 telephoto.
And yes, GE cameras are pure trash. Similar can be said for Kodak, Sanyo, Samsung, Polaroid, etc.
I dunno, my old old Kodak digital camera wasn't THAT horrible for it's time.

I got an SLR for my birthday just last month, maybe I can get a few pointers. :-P

My parents bought my the Olympus E-520, with a twin lens kit. I've still got a bit of money left from my birthday, so I'm thinking of getting at least one good accessory for it. I'm leaning towards a remote, although if I start doing more inside work, I might go for a better flash. What does everyone else recommend? Its my first SLR :P