OCR: Photographers

Katsurugi

Thanks OP and thanks Black Mage for bumping this. Some of the pics on this thread are amazing. I'm going to have to check out these accounts. I sense many future desktops originating from this thread.

I should take my camera in the woods next time I'm out. Haven't done much since high school, but I think I got decent at b&w so I know I'd enjoy picking it up again. I have a hand-me-down slr, a pentax, but it's in great condition and I love it. Only problem is no darkroom... sigh.

If you just want to trigger the shutter, try using a universal tv remote. I discovered my old RCA remote could be used to control my Pentax; I'd imagine Olympus isn't that different.

If that doesn't work for you, DealExtreme sells some camera remotes that are much cheaper than the official ones.

Nice, I never would have known about this. Thanks for that :)

Have a cat.

036_1A-1.jpg

I'm just waiting for someone to lolcat that picture.

I've still got a bit of money left from my birthday, so I'm thinking of getting at least one good accessory for it. I'm leaning towards a remote, although if I start doing more inside work, I might go for a better flash. What does everyone else recommend? Its my first SLR :P

u gotta get a FLASH! i find that a flash is probably the most important thing you could carry around.. it's also not just for indoors.. it's essential outdoors too. check out Strobist if you wanna see what you can do with flash.. see Lighting 101

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

i do update my Flickr page.. but obviously i don't post the pics in this thread..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wushuplaya/

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, so many spectacular photos in this thread. I really enjoy jmr's, G-T's, and Black Mage's in particular, though most of the pictures in this thread are really good.

I'm more of a videographer than a photographer, but my Canon HV30 has a pretty decent photo mode aside from it's 1080i video. It's also got a fair amount of manual settings to fiddle with. Here are a few photos I took while I was out rock climbing:

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

• 7 months later...

Sure, why not? I've been doing amateur photography for about 3 years now; I'm pretty much bare-bones when it comes to equipment, I've just been running around with my Canon Rebel XSi, the kit lens, and a half-broken tripod for the most part :P Currently I don't even have a charger for the batteries, so I haven't been photographing much of anything lately.

http://emunator.deviantart.com/gallery/

Here's a few of my faves - I do some post-processing but with these particular pictures they're straight out of the camera with nothing but a bit of cropping done :)

Spotlight_by_Emunator.jpg

Phoenix_Rising_by_Emunator.jpg

White_Whale_by_Emunator.jpg

The_Great_Divide_by_Emunator.jpg

Ohhh, I had forgotten about this thread and I've been looking for an excuse to share this. My friend and I decided to try to figure out what this whole "HDR" things is about, and this was one of my first attempts. Not exactly the best use of HDR because I think the dynamic range was fairly limited to begin with, but I LOVE the result! I call it "Tools of the Trade" :)

ToolsOfTheTrade_HDR_small.jpg

Nikon D70s, 50mm, f4.5, 3 exposures in 1EV increments

So tell me honestly, what does everyone use? I'm curious to know. Personally I've got a digital camera (which at its highest resolution only allows like 325 pictures on a 2 gig xd card); I know the "professionals" like Kroze and Salty use digital SLRs, but what about 35mm or (heaven help you) advantix?

Recommendations for which to use would naturally vary depending on the circumstances and there's no single best choice so far as type, though some would argue that at least there is a single best choice for model in each type... Most of us, I'm sure, are casual picture-takers who only have a passing interest in anything serious. We bought our cameras so we could capture memories of family and friends and special events.

Then you've also gotta ask yourself whether to stay glued to your camera all the time or go out and let someone else take the pictures of you being silly so long as you enjoy yourself...

Thoughts, anyone?

I was up on Mt Washington a few months ago, happened to have my camera with me, so I messed around with the panorama mode a bit. I didn't really touch it up though, just threw it together in photoshop. It's huge though (like ridiculously so), so I'm posting a link. Pittsburgh is so beautiful at dusk!

Taken with a Canon S5IS

Pittsburgh!

So tell me honestly, what does everyone use? I'm curious to know. Personally I've got a digital camera (which at its highest resolution only allows like 325 pictures on a 2 gig xd card); I know the "professionals" like Kroze and Salty use digital SLRs, but what about 35mm or (heaven help you) advantix?

I use a Canon SX10 IS. It gives me a lot of control over my photos, while still being relatively small; and the 20x optical zoom (35mm equivalent 28 - 560mm) is a nice plus, too. Also, the video quality is good and sound quality is surprisingly excellent. I'd love to have a Canon 5D Mark II and a 50mm f/1.2L, but my finances won't allow that anytime soon.

(Speaking of the 5D Mark II, has anyone read the rumors about the 7D?)

As for film, I believe that it will hang on to the professional/artistic photography niche for a long time, though it will soon die out as the consumer market is concerned. I love digital, but I am a firm believer that as black and white photography goes, film and wet process are forever superior to digital. I mean, sure you can run an image through Photoshop and make it look like it's selenium toned, but it's not. It's simply mimicking the color of selenium. Likewise for sepia, palladium, gold, and uranium toned silver gelatin prints.

And if anyone still uses an APS (Advantix) film camera, dear god just run it over with your car. You'll be doing yourself (and photo lab techs, like me) a major service.

I'm getting back into my photography a bit more again. I use a Nikon D700 now (quite the jump from my old D50). Even with the stock lens I'm getting some great shots.

Here's one I like that I got when the Fargo air show was going on.

http://directorflik.deviantart.com/art/Blue-Angel-134397780

I've got a lot more pictures to start showing. I should stop being lazy and upload them.