OCR: Photographers

Katsurugi

I finally went and got a small camera. I love my SX10, but it's hardly convenient to just have with me when I'm about. If I'm planning on shooting photos, it's great, but I just never have it with me, so I decided to get a point-and-shoot. After much debate and playing with cameras at work, I settled upon the Sony DSC-WX1.

wx1-front.jpg

I love the 10 shots per second (at full res), the hand held twilight more, and three-stop auto bracketing. The auto white balance is average, but the custom white balance is spot on, even at night in my room with mixed very yellow incandescent and green fluorescent. The 720p video mode is also pretty impressive, and the 5x optical zoom while shooting movies is a nice plus.

The ISO range is not as broad as I should ideally like (160 to 3200), but it's enough to cover 90% of me needs. I also sacrificed one thing I would have liked...a dedicated macro mode, but the Intelligent Auto mode does a good job of switching to macro when needed. And I still have my SX10 for doing some killer macro.

Is it the best camera I could have gotten? No, but the best camera is the one you have with you, and this is a lot easier to carry about than a biggish super zoom camera.

MY final determination to get this camera? Sale price + Employee Discount + Sony Associate Purchase Program = drop in final price from $339 to about $130...BOOYEAH!

Now I just need a DLSR...

I hate you a little bit for getting that camera so cheap. I got the Cybershot H20 recently, but not for even close to that price.

Nice camera though, I really like Sony.

Lucky me got a free DSLR camera from my brother in law. It's a Digital Rebel circa 2003. It's huge, I can't afford any new lens, and the H20 is better in many ways. But it's a DSLR, and it was free.

It's liberating really.

Canon: CanonRebelXTsilver.jpg

H20: 0483_sony-cybershot-h20.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Full frame with video? Something like a Nikon D3S would be pretty nice. I thought about getting an HD video capable FX body, but decided that I'd rather focus purely on still photos for now, so I stuck with the D700. Granted having the HD capability would be pretty neat.

Also, make sure your pockets are vomiting money if you want a D3S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
How expensive would it be to print something like that?

I can't speak for other places, but at a ritz camera you could expect to pay $40 for each 24x36 (I printed it as two big prints then cut them each in half) and about $30 to mount each 24x36 on foamboard. So for the whole thing you could pay about $140, unless you haggled them down. You could also go with four 12x36 banners, which cost $10 each. In which case the whole thing would cost about $100.

The main difference is how each is printed. I did mine on an Epson Stylus inkjet. Whereas the $10 option would be off a toner-based printer. I actually tested that method, and it came out pretty well, but I decided that I had the Epson at my disposal, so I went for it.

You could also probably save some money by mounting it somewhere else, like a framing shop or something.

• 2 weeks later...