Third by Portishead

Has anyone else heard it? I got around to buying it Saturday and it's pretty delicious, favorite track being The Rip. The synth stuff has really mature from the subtle Dummy and the heavy handed self-titled second album.

the neat vocal electronic trick in the rip and the cut-off ending in silence are awesome because they are ridiculously pretentious.

Machine Gun was a really weird single, but they achieved their goal in that song perfectly by making a very soulless piece of music. Portishead inspired the Silent Hill series' sound and you can tell why, Dummy is still one of my favorites

Will have to listen to the rest of this

Portishead is basically great, i.e. Roads...

So I will definitely check this out.

Roads is quite possibly my favourite song. Ever.

I bought Third almost as soon as it came out (been waiting a lonnng time for it) and I'm still feeling ambivalent about it. It's a good album, but deep down I was hoping for a 'direct sequel' to Dummy and Portishead... this feels like a side-story. Don't get me wrong, it is good, but it takes a few listens to really get into.

Not my cup of tea; with both their second and now third album as well, they seem intent on squashing the style/execution laid down in Dummy and embarking on some (imo silly) quest to prove that they have more substance/soul/whatever.

Dummy was a great album. It virtually established an entire genre, and remains probably the best example of that genre taking song form in a fashion that was accessible without being too familiar. That they seem so intent on moving away from it to me seems rather juvenile, actually, as if they feel they have something to prove.

I can't argue that the album achieves an atmosphere, and if that's what they're intent on doing, they've accomplished that goal at least. But my appreciation for the band always stemmed from the way they combined both atmosphere AND songwriting, and in my opinion, the songwriting here has been relegated to third-class status and sent to the back of the bus.