Alright gang, got another problem.

This might be a bit annoying.

My aunt took her old PC(it's a Sony Viao circa 2002 running WinXP) out of storage and has been having some problems with it. Yesterday it was just getting on the net, which wasn't that big a problem, but now she can't even get the system to respond. It's stuck on the main display with the only command available is to ctrl,alt, del the sucker, there are no icons or even the start on.

At first glance I thought it was just in safe mode, but since i'm not there myself I can't really get a feel for what's going on. I'm thinking since she hasn't updated her anti-virus software(or hasn't bought one) and being that her comp is that old, it might have been hit.

I know this probably isn't enough info, but it's all I've got to work with. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

When you say it's stuck on the main display, do you mean that, when the computer is turned on, the desktop wallpaper is displayed, but nothing else comes up (like the icons and Start menu)? If so, it might be that explorer.exe is not loading up. Try opening up the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), and under File, click on "New Task (Run...)", and then type "explorer" and hit OK. If explorer.exe wasn't loading before, it will load now, bringing up the Start menu, icons, and so forth. Then you can deal with any other issues.