Why aren't there more Descent remixes??

deftflux

Ok, ok, so I'm new to OC Remix, in a way. I first heard of it when someone at planetdescent.com requested that I upload one of my Descent remixes, which I did, making me the first to submit a Descent remix to OCR. My submission was rejected, which didn't suprise me because it was more of a "remake" lacking in original material, was pretty old, and always had some sound issues.

In any case, lately I've been listening to and very much appreciating the hoards of Zelda and Sonic remixes on OCR, but I'm left wondering why there is still only one Descent remix, that being of an obscure track in Descent II (but still totally awesome, by the way), when many people highly regard the soundtrack of the original Descent, including myself, it being in a class of its own on par with Sonic and Zelda. Well, maybe not quite Zelda... but you get the idea.

"Why don't YOU make a better Descent remix, then, and submit it?" you're probably wondering. Well, I plan to, just as soon as I finish my remix of the light spirit theme from Zelda: Twilight Princess. :)

But listening to the other remixes on OCR, I'm very curious what OCR-type remixers would come up with based on Descent. So come on, you know you want to!

To any who decide to remix Descent, THANK YOU in advance.

What? What? There are plenty of descent remixes on the site. ;-)

But yeah, there could definitely be more Descent remixes though. I'd second that.

Your joke fails. The way you're trying to use the word in the first sentence doesn't work, because the word you want is "decent."

As for the topic: why aren't there more Descent remixes? Because it's not as popular as games like Sonic and Zelda. Duh.

Your joke fails. The way you're trying to use the word in the first sentence doesn't work, because the word you want is "decent."

Your attitude is uncalled-for. But anyways, "thank you, Captain Obvious!" Let's not split hairs, shall we?

As for the topic: why aren't there more Descent remixes? Because it's not as popular as games like Sonic and Zelda. Duh.

Funny that you should be complaining about popularity when you're apparently super into video game music which itself is not very popular compared to other music. :-P Yeah, nobody said Descent was that popular, but even after 14 years it still has a "decent" following.

Funny that you should be complaining about popularity when you're apparently super into video game music which itself is not very popular compared to other music. :-P Yeah, nobody said Descent was that popular, but even after 14 years it still has a "decent" following.

Who's complaining? I'm just answering your question. Descent is not as popular as Sonic or Zelda. More people have played those games than they have Descent. That's just a fact. I'm sure it still has a decent following. A lot of old games still do.

I don't get why you're getting defensive. It's not like I'm talking crap about Descent or anything. I'm just giving you a reason why it's not remixed as much here on OCR. We encourage remixes from every platform, but in case you haven't noticed, most of the music here is console-centric, because more people played games on consoles when they were kids than they did on PCs. It's just a result of people's nostalgia.

And to be perfectly honest, I really dislike when someone posts a "Why aren't there remixes from <GAME>?!" thread. Can't you people just read the guidelines and post a normal request instead of turning your request into an indignant complaint about artists' song selection? How hard is it to just title your thread "Descent ReMixes Please?"

People will remix what they want to remix. If they want to remix Descent, then more power to them. The game had a good soundtrack. But seriously, we can do without the feigned bewilderment. :?

The console-centric explanation is a much better answer to my question. See that makes sense to me. I'm sorry I misinterpreted your first reply as offensive. (It could have done without the proceeding "Duh"...) It was all in good fun, though.

By the way, I did read the guidelines before I posted. I'm pretty sure I followed them too. I'm sorry you misinterpreted my question as indignantly rhetorical. I only meant to express my confusion considering that the total of exactly 2 Descent remix submissions ever on OCR versus the plethora of Sonic and Zelda remixes does not seem to match the popularity ratio between the games. Had there been, say, 4 accepted Descent remixes instead of 1, I would not have been suprised. Lol

I wish to clarify that I do not mean to insult any artist's source selection. I did not mean to imply that artist's have not chosen to remix Descent, but rather that after 14 years there must be remixes already made that for some reason aren't being submitted. Rather than being indignant, I was in a very light mood when I started the topic. I'm sorry for the confusion.

There's a reason I didn't request, say, Descent 1 Credits specifically. (Just using that as an example. Good track, but I don't mean to limit my request to any specific track from Descent.) See, I totally agree that artists should remix what they want to remix. I wouldn't want someone to make a remix of a specifically requested track that he did not particularly care for. An artist will naturally put more effort into something he's excited about instead of doing just for the sake of doing it, and it will show in the quality of the work.

I was hoping that there are some remixers, like myself, who are fans of Descent and are already disposed to make a Descent remix and that a friendly reminder of that old game and some assurance that there are many, like myself, who would appreciate such a remix might help encourage them to get started. As for the specific material they take from Descent, that is totally up to them; I want them to choose. And there are 27 full-length tracks in Descent 1 alone to choose from, so it's not like it's a narrow category.

Oh, and regarding nastalgia, I was one of those who grew up playing PC games. Descent is the most nastalgic for me. So those people may be fewer but they are out there. I actually, for instance, never played any Zelda game as of one year ago lol. Never had a Nintendo console before. The theme I'm remixing from Zelda is from TP too which is very recent. So it's not about nastalgia for me in that case, it's just good music.

It's called a "typo." :-P Meh... It's fixed now. Other than that... yeah, it was pretty lame anyway. *exhasperated sigh* You take what you can get (or give, in this case).