The StarCraft installer sound

Dhsu

You know that sound effect you hear when your stick in your SC CD and it autoplays and freaks you the fuzz out because your volume was turned up too high.

It's been in like the last 5 movies I've seen (a couple of which were in the Saw series) so I'm curious about it. Where did it come from, where did it go...

If you know the answer you get an Asian blowjob.

Oh yeah, I hear the Zelda door and pot-smashing sounds all the time. And the Diablo II item and spell sounds.

Maybe this thread should just be renamed the "stock SFX in video games" or something.

Edit:

Wow, 11k.

:[

Man, that's a lot of posts...

But yeah, at some point you have to wonder why so many SFX are used in many games...

I also know of a bunch of short grunt noises I've heard in many crappy games, and most recently some American white trash daytime TV show.

Man, someone with a bit more insight should make a "10 most overused samples in media" article.

I hereby nominate the 'flip' sound used in comedies when quickly changing from plot to plot.

• 2 months later...

This one's a tv stock sound but I've heard it in at least one video game(streets of Sim City), and I swear I've heard it at least once a week for every week of my life.

The police radio lady.

She says something along the lines of

"plain and central 149th street... "

or maybe

"1-8-7 on 49th street.."

I've heard it on old movies, new movies, videogames, and new tv shows(maybe Heroes? I can't remember).

It's inescapable. I'd go on a rampage, but then the mounties would arrest me and there'd be a lady on the radio going "plain and central 149th street."

This one's a tv stock sound but I've heard it in at least one video game(streets of Sim City), and I swear I've heard it at least once a week for every week of my life.

The police radio lady.

or maybe

"1-8-7 on 49th street.."

I've heard it on old movies, new movies, videogames, and new tv shows(maybe Heroes? I can't remember).

It's inescapable. I'd go on a rampage, but then the mounties would arrest me and there'd be a lady on the radio going "plain and central 149th street."

I know it too.

All of Blizzard's games use these sound effects. The Town Portal casting sound in d2 has been heavily overused in sci fi and magic/fantasy movies and series for.. ever.

The police radio lady.

or maybe

"1-8-7 on 49th street.."

I definitely know this sample, too.

There's a particular car-suspension-bottoming-out sound that I've heard used many places, but I don't remember specifically where (I think it may have been in Midtown Madness, and possibly the movie Paycheck). If I locate an example, I'll post it.