OCR01717 - Super Metroid "Fuzzy Green Feeling"

I feel like putting a disclaimer here: the following is my humble opinion, feel free to fiercely disagree!

This just doesn't gel for me at all until 01:50, and then I only like that particular section. I really, really like "Yet Even More Fighting" and I also appreciate "Death Stroke", which didn't pass the judge's panel if I recall correctly. This just sounds curiously dud to me.. which might mean that the penny will drop big time on another day. I'm not familiar with the original, which might help.

Here's my list of complaints (I realize this might be quite harsh): a non-meshing, dry soundscape, nothing exciting happening there apart from that one section. Pacing and structure of the piece feels even/flat despite all the different parts and the various details. The snare sticks out. The synth lead is horribly lonely and simple sounding, especially 01:22-01:40. KC has used similar synths succesfully earlier, but here it (both in sound and sequencing/playing) sounds like a placeholder to me - the whole thing actually sounds like only a demo! On the good side, the guitar playing is good throughout and I have no quarrel with the guitar sounds either.

I feel a bit bad giving such a negative review, but there it is. :/

--Eino

I remember this one completely slaying at DoD, and was one of my top picks. This one is all about the Metroid brutality, with a ton of riffs lined up, and some keyboards accompanying. The strong production really keeps this one together, because any weakness on that front would have made it much less effective.

The best part is the breakdown I think, and then the solo sections afterwards. There are some really great ideas thrown in here, and it seems the key to making metroid music interesting is to turn it into a sonic assault.

Great stuff from the guy who can continue to destroy the fretboard even though he is MISSING AN ARM (sortof).

Totally heavy stuff. \m/

From start to finish this kept me pumped for some Metroid action.

I often think 'what if' producers saught OCremix artists for music in upcoming games or better yet; as good as the remixes are here, remakes for old games. Tracks like this would sell the game without a doubt!

• 2 weeks later...

Once again...Metroid receives its well deserved attention. Yes, this track does stray from the origional. But think about it this way, REMIXING is about expressing how you would prefeer the track to sound...in a sense. Personally, I love it! Cabbage definatly out did himself/herself on this one.

10 out of 10!

Rock on!

I feel like putting a disclaimer here: the following is my humble opinion, feel free to fiercely disagree!

This just doesn't gel for me at all until 01:50, and then I only like that particular section. I really, really like "Yet Even More Fighting" and I also appreciate "Death Stroke", which didn't pass the judge's panel if I recall correctly. This just sounds curiously dud to me.. which might mean that the penny will drop big time on another day. I'm not familiar with the original, which might help.

Here's my list of complaints (I realize this might be quite harsh): a non-meshing, dry soundscape, nothing exciting happening there apart from that one section. Pacing and structure of the piece feels even/flat despite all the different parts and the various details. The snare sticks out. The synth lead is horribly lonely and simple sounding, especially 01:22-01:40. KC has used similar synths succesfully earlier, but here it (both in sound and sequencing/playing) sounds like a placeholder to me - the whole thing actually sounds like only a demo! On the good side, the guitar playing is good throughout and I have no quarrel with the guitar sounds either.

--Eino

i'm agreeing with you here. i like metroid. i like shred-rock. there just seems to be something missing from this mix.

your review i think is fine though, as it gives good reasons where this remix could be improved, and it's not rude like some certain other posters i've seen...

--Eino

I never mind seeing negative reviews like this. As long as you explain why you didn't like it, and you keep it civil and impersonal, comments like this are good. That said, obviously you and I disagree. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing a new Super Metroid remix on the frontpage always catches my interest. That being said, I was expecting something more chilled and/or creepy than this aggressive arrangement. In a sense, I was let down.

However, I respect the remix for what it is; a good, adrenaline-filled arrangement of Super Metroid. Good work, but not my thing; I'll just go back to listening to RTF's Brinstar Bonsai Garden.

• 1 year later...

This isn't my most favorite of genres, but I'll give it a shot.

Good source to work with in this style, I like the back and forth around :25 or so. This shows a good way to incorporate the source in a new style. A little later on though, at 0:53 the guitars sound like their in a wind tunnel or something. For some reason that really bothers me.

Both the solos work well and the trade-off is pretty good, so nice work on that.

It's a good listen, not really my style, but worth keeping and I think more people should take a listen to this and review!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01717 - Super Metroid "Fuzzy Green Feeling"