OCR00952 - Super Mario 64 "Pearl Song"

djpretzel

I didn't like this one that much for a few reasons. Firstly, I'm a big fan of "get to the point" mixes, and having to wait 1:40 to hear a recognizable melody didn't go well with me. It gets a bit repetitive afterwards too, in that the notes seem to be confined to a small range. On the positive side, the arpeggio in the background would sound nice if it weren't there for the almost the entire length of the song. I think that's what made me consider this repetitive. The samples also sound very nice. All in all, a decent mix, but not one I'm going to add to my collection.

This is great...it keeps making me think of that secondary melody in Anxious Hearts from Final Fantasy 7. This would go awesomely with that!

I was thinking about that bastardization thing. It's like this is all The Wingless's work and there's only a few notes present in the original melody. This is perhaps the only song I've ever thought that besides the Soul Blazer mix by Israfel. Maybe some new forte is turning around in my mind telling me that all good songs come with a good hearing of the original throughout, though I normally don't mind if this happens or not. Ah well - a new song is never bad, especially if it's like this.

I happen to like the last quarter with the alteration of the melody.

I recognized the song around the 1 minute mark. I think its a cool mix. I enjoy the soothing sound it has. It reminds me of DJ PRetzels SunkenSuite which I think is amazing and I think more piano versions of songs should be made because I usually listen to this stuff while I'm doing homework

Good Work Dude :-)

really... i could pick up the song in this mix pretty easily. infact im gonna restart it now cause i like it so much =) ok i heard a hint @ :24... then again at :30. but enough of that...

i enjoyed this soooo much. im a huge fan of the_wingless and this does not disappoint! it just sounds so goooood, so smooooth =) the extra percussion line is nice. the slight syncopation on the main melody sounds so great. i love this interpretation. sure to be a keeper and much more.

I don't really know if I like this at all. It sounds plain and uninspired (also extremely predictable). This is one of those songs that when you hear it in the game, it just clicks that this can be remixed very easily. I very much prefer the original, the original melody just sounds better than this one. On a positive note, at least it aint a techno or trance mix.

sweeeett.... i never thought i'd have any songs from mario64 because the soundtrack wasn't much. but i currently have 4 remixes of this one song, and every one of them is great. This one is just awesome, its like a slightly less complicated version of his other two piano related mixes (aphrodite oceanus and Aesir), but, well, mario. Wingless rocks.

After reading "grey ninja"'s post above, I had to also make a contribution. Y'see I've been attending this forum for about a year now and never have I ever posted. This is the song that got me to do it. I feel the piece is one of the most eloquent, majestic, and beautiful remixes I've ever heard on the site. It's right up there with Terra in Black, IMO. I cannot begin to express the amount of gratitude I have for Wingless for writing this piece. If you have the smallest tidbit of an emotional soul in your body, you will download this piece. I am a pianist myself and listening to this brought tears to my eyes. (Then again, so did hearing Zelda orchestrated for the first time) Sit back, relax, and download this wonderful remix.

Wow. endblink likes a Mario tune?

Apperantly, yes. The only problem with The Wingless, it seems, is that he simply can't remix fast enough for my tastes. This guy is incredible.

A truly distinctive style with an amazing ear, I love what this guy does. Great piano work, excellent backbeats and those weird reverbed strings at the begining? Best part. Hands down.

I, for one, love the improving. I love the fact the the 'known tune' only comes in at the 1:30 mark. Makes for a longer, more enjoyable mix, with a nice surprise. Plus, improv and variation are good things.

Classic stuff, especially if you're a fan of The Wingless' stuff. Highly recommmended.

I am not one to demand that a remix sound like the original, and that is one of the reasons I love The Wingless' remixes so much: he allows himself to be open and creative with the piece, not just the instrumentation and tempo, but right down to rewriting the melody if that's how he wants it. The Wingless' "Teardrinker" is the first song I downloaded from here that I can say truly blew me away, and it was because he allowed his talent to show through in the remix. Now with "Peralsong" we have the same wonderful approach and it has once again led to another great remix (another underwater themed song as well. Coincidence?!)

With that said, this is a great remix without a doubt. It definitely brings something new and wonderful to a song we know and love. However, if you are into more 'exciting' remixes, then this wont' be your cup of tea. It's slow, delicate, and beautiful, just like the original. But, for those of us that can appreciate the sublte delicacies of a more pensive piece such as this, they don't get much better than this. Great job, the Wingless! (Now do some more Mega Man 2 for us! =)

I must say, this remix is quite unique for sounding quite serene for once! Instead of those ridiculous jungle remixes, this one sounds relaxing. I liked how the music doesn't stray too far from the original music, and this is a yet another great Mario 64 mix! Somewhat repetitive, but I don't mind because it has a GREAT piano instrumental throughout! Solid work!

My favorite OverClocked is, and likely will always be SunkenSuite by djpretzel, but this is definitely a nice variation on the song. While SunkenSuite is pretty straightforward, and something you'd expect to hear in the next gen Mario game, PearlSong is simply a remixer having fun, and it paying off. I love it when people don't feel they have to stick with the one idea of the song. I like when people play around a bit with the melody, and make it their own. The only complaint is that the drums broke the smoothness of the song, and became more of a distraction. I know drums in a slow piece like that can be pulled off though, as they were in SunkenSuite. The_Wingless is one of the best here at OverClocked, and in my ratings (I rate 'em all on my iTunes, and sort by composer), he's the overall best, with one 3-star, one 4-star, and three 5-star songs. I have no problem waiting for any of his masterpieces.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

When I first downloaded this one, I didn't pay attention to the author. About halfway through the song, I thought to myself, "Wow.. this is beautiful. I have to see who made this and listen to his other stuff." Of course, I was a little disappointed when I found out it was a Wingless tune -- I was hoping there was another kick butt remixer out there that I hadn't discovered yet!

Anyway, this is a superb mix, and my favorite variation on the site, beating out McVaffe's & DJP's renditions, which is pretty impressive.

I give it a first class recommendation.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00952 - Super Mario 64 "Pearl Song"