OCR00952 - Super Mario 64 "Pearl Song"

djpretzel

Excellent remix, couldn't choose between pretzel's or this one even at gunpoint (throw McVaffe's in there too, but far different stylistically). Don't really understand the comments on lack of the original tune in here, sounded to me like nearly every note here was either straight off the OST or directly inspired by it...

• 1 month later...

Wow. Definitely one of my 3 fave OCRemixes. Everything is masterfully crafted, from the dynamic, flowing piano to the rolling timpani hits (which add a lot of emotion to the mix), and the soft yet powerful bassline. And I like the drums; they remind me of the original song's percussion and they add some 'beat' to the song while maintaining its soft, elegant mood.

To be honest, I didn't truly enjoy this song until I actually sat down and listened carefully. Then I noticed how everything flows together and how the piano lines are sort of blended and mixed around and what not. Now sometimes I'll listen to it four or five times in a row. It's that freaking good.

I have also tried to remix this song, but the result wasn't quite this good. In fact, it doesn't even come close. However, I have been inspired to do my damndest on improving it, and to work harder on all of my future projects. Thank you The Wingless, you're my hero.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is another one of my favorites songs on OCR. The original in the water stages of the game really set the atmosphere and remains one of my favorite (need to stop using that word) OSTs of any game.

I really like how he takes his time in building up the theme on this song. If you remember Dire, Dire Docks in the game, the song would only flesh out once you reached certain areas of the stage. I think The Wingless has done an excellent job of keeping that same slow-building feel. The piano is well integrated with the rest of song - it seems to just barely rise above the rest of the soundscape until about 2:13 when it takes a more dominant role in the song. Minimal drums also keep the same feel as the original. Great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Apperantly, yes. The only problem with The Wingless, it seems, is that he simply can't remix fast enough for my tastes. This guy is incredible.

This is also the only complaint I can make about The Wingless. Every one of his remixes I can honestly say I fall almost instantly in love with. I'm always happy when a Wingless song comes up on my playlist.

In particular with this remix, I very much enjoyed the slow but sure way this remix developed, starting out with a melody that slowly turns into the melody from Super Mario 64, and I very much love the piano work in this remix. Definitely a 10/10.

• 1 year later...

I don't think people have appreciated just what the Wingless accomplished here. He's given this song a brand new personality through a completely original and nuanced chord structure along with some excellent writing. He's infused it with a level of complexity and maturity of sound we rarely see in video game music and made it contemporary and relevant (after all, isn't that what this site, above all else, aims to do?). It's subtle yet dramatic, and very clever. This song has been mixed over and over, and nothing else I've seen posted or in the WIP forum has come close to its originality. One of my faves.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I don't think people have appreciated just what the Wingless accomplished here. He's given this song a brand new personality through a completely original and nuanced chord structure along with some excellent writing. He's infused it with a level of complexity and maturity of sound we rarely see in video game music and made it contemporary and relevant (after all, isn't that what this site, above all else, aims to do?). It's subtle yet dramatic, and very clever. This song has been mixed over and over, and nothing else I've seen posted or in the WIP forum has come close to its originality. One of my faves.

i completely agree, this has got to be one of the most complex piano arrangement mix i have ever heard. i've first heard this mix back in 2004 and i still listen to it till this very day. starting the mix with the water drop was brillant it gives you that sense of calm and peace. the slow build up into the main theme was phat stuff. nothing short of a masterpiece i have to say. highly recommended

on a sidenote when will we see your next mix????? =OOOO

• 3 months later...

Only 4 pages of reviews? Are you kidding me? This is a really beautiful, monumental piece that I think deserves better than that. No offense to the other two artists that have remixed the theme, but I feel that this conveys so much more emotion, personality, and sadness than the others do.

I really fell in love with this one from the first moment I heard it... great source, perfect interpretation... this one deserves more recognition than it's gotten.

Ahhh... classic Wingless, so calm, so mellow, so relaxing. I love this mix so much. Everything about this mix seems just a little ethereal, everything bathed in some hazy white light.

Listening to this makes me feel like I'm floating downstream, all my cares and woes washed out and floating off ahead of me, even though the atmosphere feels more attuned for a heavenly realm instead of one aquatic.

this one deserves more recognition than it's gotten.

Amen to that. This truly is a wonderful piece that more should know about.

• 1 month later...

A really nice take on a great source, this is calm and tranquil take on a calm and tranquil song. The structure really is expanded here, however, and though certain sections are pretty liberal, the feel and backing parts are pretty seamless, and there are plenty of great moments. I really like the kettle drum rolls, as they add just enough motion to keep the track from plodding, until the light-as-air percussion comes in. Really good stuff; I miss Wingless's mixes, but i'm glad that he got a lot of great mixes out.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If there was such a thing as an underwater lazy river, this would be the music. :D It's so peaceful.

I have been listening to game/midi music for years and my mom really doesn't like it. This remix actually brought about the for first time ever, my mom coming in and commenting on how beautiful the song was. (She had done it for other songs, but never game music)

She said that she recognized the source music, and didn't realize how good those songs were until she heard one redone with real sounding instruments. :D

So, props to Wingless. :D

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Beautiful ReMix indeed. This fits an underwater or bay area scene so well, I love it. The piano just glides around the bells and the light percussion and it sounds peaceful. Absolutely beautiful work for a mix that was made so long ago. Nice job Wingless.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00952 - Super Mario 64 "Pearl Song"
  • 1 month later...