WIP: Zelda - Light Spirit Theme, Great Fairy Theme - "Lonesome Hero"

deftflux

OK, I really don't know what to make of this now. I need another pair of ears.

Most of you probably haven't heard of me before, but I'm not new to music. I mostly work on original music. Some of my original work is available on my MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/deftflux). I haven't done much remix work over the years, and what I have done has been more of a "remake" than "remix", not including much original material.

This, however, is a serious remix of material taken from Zelda. I've wanted to do this remix ever since I first played Twilight Princess and got to the point where you save the first light spirit and it played this what I'll call "Light Spirit Theme", which turned out to be nothing more than a 30 second loop. It immediately struck me as epic and moving. I titled the remix "Lonesome Hero". The concept is that if you imagine the events of your typical Zelda storyline were real and you really were Link, the sole hero responsible for saving the world from perpetual evil, with all of the obsticles depicted in the game, it really wouldn't be pleasant lol. I thought of loneliness and a feeling of frustration. In fact, most of us can probably relate to that in that our own personal worlds are at times frought with problems that may seem as epic and insurmountable as those depicted in Zelda, and we may feel like we are alone in our quest to solve them. So those are the feelings I attempted to convey in this work...

I've probably spent more time on this remix so far than I generally spend on an entire original track, yet I'd say I'm about 40% done at best lol. It needs at least another minute and lots and lots of tweaking. So let the criticism burst forth...

The source is the aforementioned "Light Spirit Theme", which I recorded from the game and am making available below. Also, I incorporated the "Great Fairy Theme" from Ocarina of Time, also used throughout the Zelda series, which I also recorded from Twilight Princess and am making available below. I also included phrases from the original overworld theme and variations of them in my improvisations.

Links:

Source 1: http://www.deftflux.net/mp3/light_spirit_theme.mp3

Source 2: http://www.deftflux.net/mp3/great_fairy_theme.mp3

WIP: [EDIT] New version, see reply #10

Thanks!

hmmm, as for what your going for? I was not sure, but I will say this, its very well made and very peaceful..almost reminds me something from Fable at the first then I heard the LoZ theme in it. I can't wait till this is done to hear it in its entirity.

as for my tastes, it would be nice to have a violin in there say for the solo/classical part in it and some vocals to go along with the light spirit theme, but thats just my opinion. I get this nice vibe from it, feels moving and I can picture LoZ:TP kind of graphics with this as if Link was walking along a hill side with Epona and its becoming sunrise as he returns to Hyrule LOL

Yeah, I feel kinda the same thing - you've got about a zillion good things working for you in this piece, and the worst part is that nothing really "happens" until the solo... instrument (flute? ocarina?) comes in at around 2:10.

Adding more texture in the form of another instrument would definitely help the overall sound, unless the effect you're going for is the feeling of being on a cloud, which is how I felt. Maybe I just like the ground too much. :) Drums were very nice - in fact, from 2:10 onwards could easily develop into a solid piece.

I like what you're doing though. Keep it up!

Well, I did want it to start out very slow and somber and gradually increase in intensity until by the end it was very dramatic. Originally, I wanted the light spirit theme to be like a choir sound, but for some reason my music program wasn't loading the loop points for the vox samples I had, so I tried to use a synth and stumbled upon a preset that sounded like an ocarina. Once I heard it playing the notes that were already programmed in, I decided to keep it since I liked the texture, it was appropriate considering the role of the ocarina in Zelda, and it gave it more of a lonely, monophonic sound.

This track turned out more classical than I intended. I wanted it to be more electronic. I do like the ambient "on a cloud" feeling, but I agree that the 2 minute introduction is pretty dry. What do you think, a vocal sound playing the introductory melody? Anyone know where I can find some good vocal/chorus samples/soundfonts, VSTs or Reaktor ensembles/presets?

Thanks!

yeah if you could somehow clean up the vocals from your source or get a better one...then that would be great, though if you can synth the vocals and clean that nicely too..then your golden.

In honest truth, ever since I found this, I have been listening to it over and over, it really grows on you, and by adding those minor details in, then your perfect lol

I'm glad you like it! Yeah, it's all about the subtleties. I've been known to obsess over the placement or pitch of a single note... Lol I could spend hours fine-tuning, so sometimes I have to remind myself to focus more on the overall arrangement.

The way it is now it ends at such a dramatic point, so it leaves you wanting more. The part right after that has to really drive it home. I'm not sure what to do for that next part.

I don't think I could clean up the source... I think I just need to find a good sample...

The pad used for the first two minutes makes the song a bit dry in my opinion.

It sorta works and doesn't at the same time, because it loses my interest after 30 seconds, and after that it seems to just drag on.

I honestly like the parts after 2 minutes a lot better.

There's some harmonic disagreements with the harp at 3:33 to the end. Some notes of the harp clash with the mood. This is most noticeable during the entrance of the ocarina at 3:33, the harp plays D, C, B, C but the ocarina plays B flat---held--, G. The B flat of the ocarina and the B of the harp clash at that part. This happens again at 3:42, where the harp plays the same sequence, but the ocarina is D and B flat instead. That section seems to be mainly in G minor, so I would suggest changing the harp to D, C, B flat, C.

That end part is actually quite nice though, but it can get repetitive.

Thanks for the feedback.

Very observant. There are harmonic inconsistencies all over the place lol. The harp part is the great fairy theme. That melody does not lend itself well to harmonization since the notes are very close together and are not limited to just notes within the key. There was one place where I changed one of the notes, but it was after the harp was more in the background. I tried your suggestion and compared. If the harp plays Bb instead of B it no longer sounds like the great fairy theme. And I actually kinda like the tension that the B throws into the mix. By the time the harp plays B, the ocarina is playing G, so B and Bb are not played at the same time on the same octave. But does it really sound that off to you?

You're right about the first 2 minutes...

At the exact moment of 3:33, I hear the pads playing G minor, and even though it was playing that before, the pads don't have a clear cut pitch like the harp and ocarina, so B and B flat doesn't sound too bad if the chord is sorta blurry. The problem I find with the intro of the ocarina at 3:33 is that both the ocarina and harp are fighting for melody, and when two melodies are playing different keys, I find it hard to ignore. I mean, it doesn't sound that bad, but whenever I hear things like that in my own music, it drives me crazy, since it sorta sounds cool, but it disrupts the atmosphere at the same time.

By the time the harp plays B, the ocarina is playing G, so B and Bb are not played at the same time on the same octave. But does it really sound that off to you?

You have to remember your pads in the background are playing G, B flat, and D. So it agrees more with the ocarina than the harp; the harp sounds like the odd ball. Even though the harp and ocarina aren't playing at the same time, the background pads are playing a clear cut chord. It's a blurry sounding chord, but when it is reinforced with a B flat, it sounds clearer and the harp's B sticks out.

• 1 month later...

I feel the same way as you about this theme song, so let's say I am a little biased because I just love the song, anyway... I really like the theme. The song it's pretty much done, the only thing I can say it's kind of missing it's a little of choir, at 2:46 when the great fairy song started, I expected some choir there, maybe it's just me, but I think that would make it better.

Well if you want something special for the song you could add Twilight Zone's song at the beggining of the song, you know... the music that plays when you face a normal enemy on hyrule field (about 7 seconds of it then start the song as it is). Just giving ideas though.

Keep up the good work!