Zelda 64: Zoras Domain Remix Untitled (feedback appreciated)

PhiJayy

UPDATE: 5-29-08

Title: Dreams of Zoras Realm

We finally came up with a name. :)

The original version has a nice peaceful atmosphere, so we're trying to develop that same kind of feeling, with a little more ooomph.

Its has tons of strings with a similar acoustic guitar sound like the original.

Personally I've always wanted to trick this song out. :<

Some specs:

1. The remix is about 1:50 minutes long....would like for it to be longer.

2. Production probably needs tightening. (Volume balancing maybe a factor.)

Okay enough specs. You tell us what we need. :)

wip ver. #1: Zora's Domain Remix

Update_5-29-08 wip ver. #2: Dreams of Zoras Realm

Original: Zoras Domain

Pay no attention to the title. It will change.

We'll be updating this thread.

Thanks guys.

Despite not having heard the source material before (so shoot me), I thought that sounded pretty cool for a work-in-progress. I never had an N64, and haven't even got an emulator (that'll probably change after my exams), but I'll be keeping an eye out for the finished version, no doubt about it.

Been awhile since I've played OoT, but let's take a look.

Bass, sounds a bit wierd, doesn't really mesh with the rest of the mix.

Percussion is cool in the first half; has sort of a Yoko Kanno-ish feel to it. Sort of acceptably wierd and minimalist.

HOSNAP, here we go! I'm really liking the groove once the mix picks up at 0:58. String hits, while not particularly realistics, sound great in context, and compliment the percussion really well. Still not wild about the bass, but it sounds better here than it did at the beginning.

After that awesome transition, though, things just sorta get dull. Percussion gets less interesting, strings get old quickly, and nothing new is comming in to keep my attention -- I assume this part will be further developed for the final mix, though.

The non-staccato strings don't sound very good.

Definitely some cool ideas here so far. Keep working on it!

HOSNAP, here we go! I'm really liking the groove once the mix picks up at 0:58. String hits, while not particularly realistics, sound great in context, and compliment the percussion really well. Still not wild about the bass, but it sounds better here than it did at the beginning.

Sweet! We're glad that your digging the overall groove, as you stated the percussions are a little weird, and more than likely won't be expected. Which is cool. :<

After that awesome transition, though, things just sorta get dull. Percussion gets less interesting, strings get old quickly, and nothing new is comming in to keep my attention -- I assume this part will be further developed for the final mix, though.

Heck yeah. :) We're definitely going to improve the track in that area. Percussions, strings, and all.

Still not wild about the bass, but it sounds better here than it did at the beginning.

Agreed. We'll work on that too. Thanks buddy.

Despite not having heard the source material before (so shoot me), I thought that sounded pretty cool for a work-in-progress. I never had an N64, and haven't even got an emulator (that'll probably change after my exams), but I'll be keeping an eye out for the finished version, no doubt about it.

Aww...shoot. We'll post the original track up.

Hopefully we'll be finished with the remix soon.

Feedback window still opened guys.

I love the filter FX and trick drumming (if that's what it is), though I think that Geoffry Taucer has pretty much gone over all of the issues here.

The samples are pretty decent IMO, not too much lossiness and it's not too muddy though I am not a pro at telling if it's been mastered well or not. This is a greaty start Phyijay, though I've no clue why you wanted my opinion :P

This is a greaty start Phyijay, though I've no clue why you wanted my opinion :P

:lol: Yeah. I figured since your usually hanging around the wip forum I'd give you an invitation.

Thanks for the comment, we'll continue to work with it.

Wow, this is pretty interesting! The aforementioned ideas below aside, I really really like this. It strays from the original source enough to make it an entirely different song, while keeping elements of the original here and there. I'm not a song expert and won't be 'till I'm making my own music, but imo this has some good potential. Keep it up, it sounds awesome!

So you aren't using "Zora's Reckoning" as the title?

Well yes and no. It depends. We're having difficulties coming up with a name.

Personally I like the title but my brother doesn't.

It can be frustrating working with a sibling. :-P

After the track is finished, maybe we'll be able to come up with a title thats suitable well at least decent.

We're glad you guys are enjoying it so far, we'll definitely be updating this thread.

Stay tuned. :)

It sounds great, but I barely picked up any of the main source melody, just at the beggining with the guitar and some of the chord progressions...

We're planning on adding parts of the main melody in the middle portion of the song.

It strays from the original source enough to make it an entirely different song, while keeping elements of the original here and there.

Chris pretty much nailed it. The remix will more than likely turn up this way, but i'll try to add more of the source.

cant you add steel drums?

We'll see. I definitely want to do though. It would probably make it sound cool. :)

wii want to play

ahahahha. Or either "We are Venom" :<

Funny.

O.k. let me dust off my old reviewing hat, :350:

Still not wild about the bass, but it sounds better here than it did at the beginning.

After that awesome transition, though, things just sorta get dull. Percussion gets less interesting, strings get old quickly, and nothing new is comming in to keep my attention

I agree with Jeremy about the bass, especially around :06-:08, :13-:16 etc. the staccato seems really awkward. but after around :35 the bass meshes better for me.

also agreed about the part after the transition. needs some expansion to keep people interested.

Pretty awesome, keep running with it.:mrgreen:

I think all of the kinks with the bass have been fixed, I'll upload the 2nd wip tomorrow.

I've been working on it since yesterday, still adjusting some things.

I agree with Jeremy about the bass, especially around :06-:08, :13-:16 etc.

I was trying to get crzy with the bass a little to early in the mix. Doesn't really fit.

I'll save that part for later. :)

also agreed about the part after the transition. needs some expansion to keep people interested.

I'm throwing in some variations in the beat, and some other cool stuff.

After everything is done/finished the remix could probably fit in the genre orchestra/bigbeat, chill-out, or something like that.

Hope it turns out well. :)

Here's the 2nd wip.

Update 5-29-08 wip ver. #2: Dreams of Zoras Realm

You should notice that the intro has changed a bit, I added some steel drums and some percussions. :) The bassline has also changed just a bit, pretty much added some other cool stuff....synths, fx, and other stuff. Varied the velocities in the strings to give it a realism kind of feeling, which Rozovian helped point out.

The track is by no means finished, but will be soon......hopefully, as you can see the remix has a title now.

Enjoy!

Feedback appreciated.

Not crazy about this one. The changes to the intro don't really work, in my opinion. The beginning is just really empty-sounding in general. When the bass comes in, it helps, but even then the octave strings bring it down. It doesn't help that they're off key most of the time.

Having an original section is fine, but it lasts too long. You don't need to repeat it...you've already stated your idea, just move on. Maybe even layer the source on top of your original stuff somehow.

I dunno, this has potential I suppose...like I mentioned, I do like your bass work, and the drums are pretty cool. But it needs a lot of work before it'll pass the panel, even judging from the first couple minutes.

I just got a PM asking me to come here and give my two cents on this remix. On one hand, I don't like getting PMs asking me to look at stuff (essentially spam, I think). On the other hand, I'm somewhat flattered that someone I've never heard of wants my opinion.

I have to wonder why I was asked to take a look at this at all. Am I really that special? Or did someone just hit the "send to everybody" button I've never seen before? Must be the latter.

Anyway... the second version is by far the better of the two. But the last minute and a half goes so far away from the basic tune that I can't make out any of it.

The first bit, right up to 0:42 sounds very relaxed and almost slightly surreal. It brings to mind images of a night-time tropical lagoon, with colorful fish floating and swimming along the water's surface in the moonlight.

But once those distorted percussion... things come in, it breaks that feeling and seems to go into some sort of spastic, irregular tempo. The base melody is lost almost entirely, and I can't make it out for the rest of the song.

That "eeeerrrrrrr" instrument has to go, I'm sorry. It's annoying and stands out far too much for my liking.

Continue working; concentrate more on what you had in the beginning.

I dunno, this has potential I suppose...like I mentioned, I do like your bass work, and the drums are pretty cool. But it needs a lot of work before it'll pass the panel, even judging from the first couple minutes.

Potential? Thanks for saying so. Yeah like I said the track is by no means finished. :)

I just got a PM asking me to come here and give my two cents on this remix. On one hand, I don't like getting PMs asking me to look at stuff (essentially spam, I think). On the other hand, I'm somewhat flattered that someone I've never heard of wants my opinion.

Your're not the only one that received the PMs, but that being said only a few did receive the messages. I've only selected a few.

Or did someone just hit the "send to everybody" button I've never seen before? Must be the latter.

If there was such a button this forum would just be terrible.

Don't worry no "spam" will be coming from us again.

Thanks for the feedback bro. :wink:

The sidestick sounds out of place at the beginning and the steel drum roll at 0:11 sounds very mechanical. The atmosphere is not bad at all, I'd have to say that the main fault of this song is that it feels repetitive.

I can tell that there's new stuff, but it just feels very repetitive.

The left panned violin hits are pretty nice, but it should play other things other than the violin hits.

The lead at 1:40 is too much, need to cut down on that.

But yeah the song is actually quite peaceful, not bad.

This is good. I have to say that I'm mostly receiving some good criticism, but I don't agree with everything that was posted.

I'll try to go over the good stuff.

This was interesting and could be beneficial. Could you be more specific?

but even then the octave strings bring it down. It doesn't help that they're off key most of the time.

You're the first to say that the octave strings are mostly off key. I'm no expert in the orchestra area, so your probably right.

Could you elaborate more? For instance what section of the song are you referring to?

The beginning is just really empty-sounding in general.

Just a little. Not really.

The first bit, right up to 0:42 sounds very relaxed and almost slightly surreal. It brings to mind images of a night-time tropical lagoon, with colorful fish floating and swimming along the water's surface in the moonlight.

But once those distorted percussion... things come in, it breaks that feeling and seems to go into some sort of spastic, irregular tempo. The base melody is lost almost entirely, and I can't make it out for the rest of the song.

This is exactly how I wanted the transition to be......starts off very peaceful with a calm atmosphere to something very upbeat with violin spiccato hits.

I certainly wouldn't use the word "spastic" to describe the processing on the drums.This is just a build-up to the overall groove which is being set up. I'm sure some will be upset over the transition, but so far most of the comments are taking a liking to it.

Also you state that the "base melody is lost almost entirely" if you'll notice after the transition the violin hits are now playing the base melody.

Just a different instrument thats all.

I

That "eeeerrrrrrr" instrument has to go, I'm sorry. It's annoying and stands out far too much for my liking.

Annoying? To some not to all. Stands out? Heck yes.

I admit the synth lead stands out to much, I'll automate the volume and shorten its presence. I'm not getting rid of it though, sorry.

The sidestick sounds out of place at the beginning and the steel drum roll at 0:11 sounds very mechanical.

Your right. The snare sound is sorta out of place in the beginning. I'll fix it.

The steel drum roll does sound mechanical at the beginning.

In the original version I'm sure the composer varied the velocities on the steel drum roll, because the effects I'm using isn't working to make it sound more human orientated. :(

The atmosphere is not bad at all, I'd have to say that the main fault of this song is that it feels repetitive.

I can tell that there's new stuff, but it just feels very repetitive.

The left panned violin hits are pretty nice, but it should play other things other than the violin hits.

No the atmosphere isn't bad in my opinion its actually pretty good. To kill the repetitiveness I'll mix in some other sweet native instruments.

For the first 8 notes I'll probably keep the violins going solo, other than that I agree. I'll mix in some other things.

I think the mix has lots of good points but also has some areas to improve on. First and foremost is the panning and stereo field. There is good placement of sounds from front to back, but left to right things are very centered.

The most appararent sounds on the far left and right are the low frequencies from the percussion. That tends to make the mix muddy and overpowers the low-mid frequencies where all of those sweet ambient freqs reside. From an arrangement standpoint you establish a really relaxing groove in the intro which is def cool, but then it dissapears due to the production on the drums once everything kicks in.

The drums also feel a lil bit overcompressed. I like the big sound but it is a lil much. This is really apparent at 1:46. There is just strings, a huge buzzy lead, and tons of really LOUD percussion. That section kinda falls victim to the wall of sound syndrome.

The bass synth is def cool. But lower the sustain on it. There is alot going on in the low end here so things need to be nice and clean.

Some more swelling pads throughout with a large stereo image would go really nice. Def go check out the Deepflight Demo Refill from Pink Noise Studios. It's Roland D50 samples, there is some stuff in there that would go perfect with this mix.

The steel drum in the intro could use some more drastic changes in the velocity to give a lil bit more of a humanized feel. Maybe some small ping-pong delay too. You could set the delay to a send and then run a band pass filter after it sweeping the filter cut-off.

I think you got lots of good sounds here. The problem is finding a balance between the BIG harsh sounds and the small soft sounds. Some more cool lil production tricks would be pretty awesome as well. Some more harmonies playing off of the strings panned hard left and right would def spruce up things as well.