Cable Hell

Hey guys,

So I recently aquired an old record player/preamp/cassette player rack and I'm trying to connect it to my mixer so that it can output through my studio monitors. Problem is, is that the rack outputs through those funky spring clips.

(These things: TTA-1147.gif)

Is it possible to simply take a 1/4" TS cable, cut off the plugs on one side, strip off some of the insulation, and run the bare wire through the spring clips? Would this allow for me to output from the rack system to my mixer?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

(These things: TTA-1147.gif)

Is it possible to simply take a 1/4" TS cable, cut off the plugs on one side, strip off some of the insulation, and run the bare wire through the spring clips? Would this allow for me to output from the rack system to my mixer?

Thanks!

Those outputs are meant for the speakers and they've got an impedance of 4 or 8 ohm. Meanwhile, line inputs have impedances around 10/20kOhm. So, no, you're not going to do that, but you're going to look for a pair of RCA outputs that says "AUX", and you'll get a pair of cables that goes from RCA to 1/4" jack :).

An alternative (but not a good one) is to just use the headphone outputs (stereo jack > 2 mono jacks cable required; alternatively, mini stereo jack > L&R RCA > adapter plugs from RCA to jack); make sure you have the volume low and/or the gain of the mixer low.

Hmm, how much sound quality loss would result from that? If it's substantial, I might as well go get some used tower speakers that have spring clip inputs.

EDIT: found this, should do the trick if I"m not mistaken:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102959&cp=2032058.2032227.2032241&pg=1&searchSort=TRUE&retainProdsInSession=1&y=9&x=12&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=family

I just want to be able to listen to music through the same speakers that I do everything else with. It's just a way to avoid buying another set of speakers when the ones I have now are awesome.

Oh yeah, I just got a long RCA cable with 18 gauge wire, cut it in half, exposed the wires, and put those in the spring clips of the unit. Works perfectly.