Secret of the Forest (Chrono Trigger)

I'll be quick here since I don't have too too much time. Shift this from an atmospheric dance track to a psychedelic DnB track plz. My ears are crying for a nice sub bass and quick drums. That's just me though. Eerie atmosphere you've created here. I'm really glad you touched on this under-mixed track. I forgot who posted a very similar track on this same source tune on the forums. I think it was JustChris who collaborated with some other. There's a remarkable similarity between the soundscapes of the two tracks if I remember correctly. The use of asian instruments is used in both also O.O Anyways I'll quit rambling. I'd love to hear this as a DnB track.

More towards the production, The section beginning at 1:54 caught me by surprise because it is so bright. I think the "white noise" is being made by the arpeggiated chords in the background. It's just a little noisy on the treble side.

Arrangement-wise, it is all over the place and unpredictable, but from what I hear this was intentional. It works for me =p The highlight for me was the beginning of the track(as was with your other Chrono remix).

The Erhu that comes in near the end sometimes pops out a little too much. I think it may have to do with the delay effects layered on the sample since all the sound overlaps after a note is sustained.

Sick stuff m8!

I agree with what Robotaki said, the ambient dark atmos yo have in the beginning is sweet and the transistion towards Dance is really nice.

the break-up gives me a fresh ear to listen to it again,,

although im not fond off the style... you did a good job at remixing this

ps: Robotaki why dont you laid down some Quick grooves for him ;)

All I can say is it needs more bass. There's so much on the higher frequencies and the bottom is just neglected.

Really? Hmm... I've listed to the song on three different sets of speakers (including my built-in iMac speakers) and it sounds adequate to me. I just tried upping the bass, and it makes the whole song sound muddy. Any more takes on this?

Agreed, more bass please. It may just need to be EQ'd up more in the lower Freqs (around 200 or something, not sure).

Listening to the nice pads and intro, I really didn't want this to be 4 on the floor. I wanted some kickin D'n'b to kick in. I guess that's just me, I guess. I also remember JustChris's old WIP - it was the first I ever commented on actually.

Oh, that flute thing that comes in around a third of the way in isn't sitting well with me. I don't know if the sample/synth used can be salvaged - it's just too harsh and dry sounding. This section needs some work.

Things get a lot better when you break it down around halfway through. Some of the hihat single hits get a bit loud sometimes.

Later soft section also not sounding bad, though out of balance. Main Erhu is now pushed back too far in the mix, with synth stabs taking the foreground. Either bring the Erhu forward, or bring everything else back further for an extended breakdown section.

Err, I hope this isn't going to be the end in the final. To me, it feels like it needs to kick back in again before the ending. Right now, it kinda goes to breakdown, further breakdown, then ending, rather than bringing it back to dance mode first.

Nice sounding stuff here, keep it up.

You know I've been listening to this every day for the last 5 days or so and even the way it is, I've become a pretty huge fan of this mix. I think I like the more mellow parts anyway so that may be why the overall lack of bass bothers me less than others.

The ending still throws me off though, I'm still expecting it to kick back into the upbeat part one more time before it ends, but then it just ends. Anyway I have high hopes for this one, great stuff and would love to hear another take if that's where you decide to go with this.

You know I've been listening to this every day for the last 5 days or so and even the way it is, I've become a pretty huge fan of this mix. I think I like the more mellow parts anyway so that may be why the overall lack of bass bothers me less than others.

The ending still throws me off though, I'm still expecting it to kick back into the upbeat part one more time before it ends, but then it just ends. Anyway I have high hopes for this one, great stuff and would love to hear another take if that's where you decide to go with this.

I'll have a new update within the week. Added more bass, a whole other part on the end, and some main instrument changes. Sit tight!

Okay, big update here. I added more oomph down low and put in a few more parts; also tweaked some things. It's over the size limit, I know, but the 128kbps version I encoded was 5000 bytes too large :-x, so I figured I would treat you all to the 160kbps version.

Enjoy!

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/akud/Undiscovered--Mod-d-Bass--4WIP

I like the new intro, it's the same idea but the modded bass makes it sound more mysterious or something along those lines which is pretty much what this mix is trying to do (or so I assume).

The new ending is a little weird so I'm with on you on that idea, it sounds a little disconnected from the song, sort of tacked on.

This is pretty good. I'm guessing the large file size is mainly because it is fairly long, but it feels to me like it needs to be that long (i.e. it doesn't feel padded or repetative). Other than the file size, I'd say go ahead and submit it as soon as you are happy with that second-to-last part.

I'm just gonna hop in here real quick and sayyyyyyyy:

I assume you are/were working on this song to be submitted to OCR. If you want your song to get even more exposure, or for whichever reason OCR ends up rejecting it and it gets to the point where you just want to move on to another project, I'd recommend submitting to ReMix:ThaSauce as well. This is already well above our standards, and I'd love to have it, and more songs like it :o.

Just thought I'd throw that out there =P

gjnw btw

When you start speeding up the tempo at the beginning I don't know why but it feels forced. Like rather than the song picking up momentum it feels like the high synths are pushing the rest of the song to speed up.

I love the atomospheric ambience after the speed up but when you come back in with the main melody its kind of lacking. You build this great soundstage up and then you kinda go into that pause before the melody kicks back in. The pause is ok but your reintro with the melody feels like its coming in a tiny tiny tiny bit too soon and this is my biggest issue with that part. You build up the sound stage and pause and are like "ok you thought that last part was good. This part is gonna knock your socks off!!" But then when the main beat comes crashing through its too much brute force style and the soundstage created previously is completely gone. Love the part in the middle with the drums and the melody. Anyways it's getting dark and I need to go do some stuff outside before its too late so maybe i'll write more later. Hope my comments helped and good luck!

EDIT: I was also thinking maybe when it does speed up perhaps its sped up too much. Just barely though. Also, the snare hits are kind of flat sounding at about a third of the way through.

I agree with the previous comment. The speeding up section feels awkward and forced. Maybe if you sub it out for a conclusion, pause, then change the speed on the pickup, it might feel more natural (As well as add to the feel of the song) Conversely, the slowdown feels very nice and natural. Consider shortening the intro, song's a bit long, overstays it's welcome near the end by about 30 seconds.

Other than that I really like this song. The tremolo might be a bit extreme though, tone it down a bit and see if you like it better that way, imo it sticks out just a wee bit too much.

You've done some great work here. The ambience, the sounds you chose for the leads and backing- it all sounds good together. You know when the beat kick in seems like a more appropriate time to speed up the tempo. Because the beat just keeps plodding on and you expect something to pick up. By the three minute mark you have something that sounds like psytrance, just a bit (the percussion reminds me so) but it would be better if you can push that a bit more towards the beginning. Listen to the track Wild Rush on the DDR games- it uses the same motifs but it keeps speeding up, switching the rhythm every couple phrases or so. It would be awesome if you can pull this off similarly, and end with some kind of fast breakcore beat before returning to a bit of ambience. As it is right now, I think 40 seconds is too long of a time for the track to wind down.

So I just wanted to say that this remix is without a doubt one of my favorites I've ever encountered in my life. I drive about 40 miles every day to and from work and whenever I hear this pop up on my MP3 player I never skip it. With that said, the only things I can think of that could change with this song would be...

The lead you use after the intro (heard at about the 2:00 mark) was much better in the second version in my opinion. Was stronger and sounded more integrated with the song. And...

After the climax and slowdown of the song at around 4:55 you add in a beat again... The snare on that beat sounds out of place, another sample might do better.

These are all opinion however... Just take a look and see if there's any truth to them. The times listed are based on the last release you posted.

Keep it up. I love this mix.