Final Fantasy VIII / IX WIP

Thrixth

Can I get some feedback on this bad boy?

It's a blend of Blue Fields from FFVIII and The Place I'll Return To Someday from FFIX, with a little of Ozmone Plain from FFXII and the Prelude in there.

This is my first OCremix too, so I'm excited for an onslaught of venom and disdain. =]

edit: version c

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/qwcu/The-blue-fields-I-ll-return-to-someday-c

It's surprisingly good! However, it's very close to the source, so even though it is cool, it will not pass with the judges since they would consider it more of an arrangement or a remake instead of a remix. I think you should still attempt submitting though, they might still give it a chance. You have some really nice atmosphere and good use of reverb. Pretty much no areas where I can detect bad chords.

Pros: Keeps your interest, beautiful, good flow and atmosphere.

Cons: Seems too close to the original with updated synth. Orchestral instruments are noticeably fake, such as the pizzicato and clarinet.

So I fixed it up a bit.

First, I changed the beginning from the pizz, which although was very MIDI sounding, it was exactly the same-sounding as the one in-game, so I thought it was a nice transition from the in-game music into the climaxing electronica that it develops into. But I want to get my song on OCremix, so I changed it.

Second, I added more elements of Ozmone Plains and The Place I'll Return to Someday because I felt like it was slightly being overpowered by Blue Fields. And if someone only heard Blue Fields and wasn't familiar with the other two themes, then it would seem entirely Blue Plains with some english horn doing its own thing in the background.

Which leads me to my next point, which is that my basis for doing this song was the fact that the soaring climactic part of both Blue Fields and The Place I'll Return to Someday are very similar, in that they both start the same, are both dorian, and both can be backed by the ostinato that Blue Fields' pizz perpetuates throughout, as a sort of color-tones-imposing device. Hopefully people are realizing that the first part is only The Place and the second part is only Blue Fields, and that I'm not just going on and on with Blue Fields, in which case it would definately seem like I'm doing ALL Blue Fields and would make the ostinato pizz overdone. But if you could tell, then it only enhances the The Place segments, because they are from different songs, games, and circumstances and the combination is the purpose of this song.

btw, thanks a lot for helping me out so far =]

it's very close to the source, so even though it is cool, it will not pass with the judges since they would consider it more of an arrangement or a remake instead of a remix.

A new arrangement of the source is exactly what the judges want actually. Remakes/covers won't pass though. ReMix is described in the submission guidelines as a coined term for re-arrangement.

Also don't tell people it won't pass, then advise them to submit it anyway. Its generally a waste of yours and the judges time unless you're almost positive it will pass.

If I was a judge then this would be a borderline NO. Beef up sound quality a bit and make the ending less abrupt. You got a really nice climax there, but instead of letting the listener enjoy it till the end you cut it short. Give it a proper ending instead of the pizzicatos imo.

And even without better samples you can always try to humanize it a bit more.

So this time I took the clarinet, english horn, and piano and changed their dynamics throughout so that they sounded more human.

I fixed one of my bass drums.

And the ending I made a release into a weightless kind of ending, where the piano restates the theme again, but more majestically in a way. The piano doesn't resolve, which I thought was nice yet subtle.

Feedback?