Parasite Eve - battle song mellow idea

HoboKa

Well the first thing that caught my attention was the title, "I wuv Eve" and all I can say is that you can do better than that!

About your song.. very good atmosphere, other things need tweaking.

The weird fake saxophone at 0:40+ doesn't work and it's too random in my opinion.

It seems you are remixing "Arise Within You," and I would suggesting remixing more off the Choir Pad's notes from the original. Your background does that, I notice, but it's not prominent like in the original so I had trouble recognizing it at first. This song has a lot of potential though. Beef up the percussion and melody's presence in the song and It'd be awesome.

Well the first thing that caught my attention was the title, "I wuv Eve" and all I can say is that you can do better than that!

About your song.. very good atmosphere, other things need tweaking.

The weird fake saxophone at 0:40+ doesn't work and it's too random in my opinion.

It seems you are remixing "Arise Within You," and I would suggesting remixing more off the Choir Pad's notes from the original. Your background does that, I notice, but it's not prominent like in the original so I had trouble recognizing it at first. This song has a lot of potential though. Beef up the percussion and melody's presence in the song and It'd be awesome.

HOW is it random!!??? it's like 10-11 consecutive notes ON key and the melody is repetitive!!! AAARRRG I hate you people and your stringent idea of how a melody is coherent!!

Okay I'm done bitching now, thanks for your critique Blue :D - I found the other critiques useful.

I agree that the flute melody sounds really really random. You shouldn't try to make a melody by following rules like " It repeats itself a lot and it's all in the same scale", you should make melodies based on what you hear in your head and what you think will stick with other people. :/

Something about the rhythm of the melody is really messed up, it seems like the notes are all coming in a beat too late or something, you should really set your snaps to 16th or 8th notes when you're writing stuff in the piano roll. I like the general sytrus-preset atmosphere though, so work on that melody :D

I agree that the flute melody sounds really really random. You shouldn't try to make a melody by following rules like " It repeats itself a lot and it's all in the same scale", you should make melodies based on what you hear in your head and what you think will stick with other people. :/

Something about the rhythm of the melody is really messed up, it seems like the notes are all coming in a beat too late or something, you should really set your snaps to 16th or 8th notes when you're writing stuff in the piano roll. I like the general sytrus-preset atmosphere though, so work on that melody :D

okay okay...you win :'(

How do I do the snap thing btw?

Notes should snap in automatically when you start up FL Studio. The snap bar is located in the menu with all the midi input options. It says SNAP and gives a drop down menu with Line, Cell, (none), 1/6 step, 1/4 step, 1/2 step, etc. There is also possibility that the attack of your samples is too low so they sound delayed when played according to your piano roll. So yeah, either it's your piano roll or your samples. =p

Btw, you're improving a lot. Just try to solidify melodies and make them stand out from the interesting soundscapes you're producing. Things sound quite sparse right now only because there's nothing for us to follow but a thick wall of sound. The main thing is you want somebody to be able to hum something after listening to your piece a few times. Make it memorable yeah? Nice work tho!

at :38 there needs to be some filter sweeping into the phat drum beat. I am not sure what's wrong, but it sounds terrible. I can't hear the drums. I suspect it is the bass and pad taking up too much volume, but I don't know.

send me the FLP file for this if you can

at :38 there needs to be some filter sweeping into the phat drum beat. I am not sure what's wrong, but it sounds terrible. I can't hear the drums. I suspect it is the bass and pad taking up too much volume, but I don't know.

send me the FLP file for this if you can

lol sure thing max. I'll do that later today.

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Drums have no energy

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[X] Timing not tight enough

STRUCTURE

[X] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

I couldn't find much that I liked with this piece, which was sort of depressing considering the fact that PE is one of my favorite games ever and one of my favorite soundtracks ever. I almost couldn't even discern what track you were trying to remix here.

Samples were awful; just awful. The background synth seemed almost trembling throughout the piece and it was very, very jarring to listen to. I mean the almost-choir like "ohhhhs", or the layer or strings over them. One of those two is just... yeesh.

Sax is bland, not sampled well, and too quiet compared to everything else. As Tensei touched upon, timing seems to be slightly off. The drumline is running in its direction whilst the rhythm section of the piece doesn't match up to it in pace. Plus, nts. Bad nts :(

Bass synth and background pad/choir stuff is colliding in the mid to high frequencies. Drop the higher freqs on the bass and see if it helps. Pad also really needs some frequencies dropped also because...

Things get really messy when the drums and flutes come in. Everything's competing for space. I think the pad is the main culprit - cut back the non-essentials on it and it should really open up some space.

Also, what I hear with most of your mixes is that even when you have a good soundset going (with some production issues sometimes), there's no logical flow to your piece. Here, you have the pad playing some notes with a bass synth. Then, you add some drums and flutes to the mix, which basically the same thing going on as before with the pads/synths. I know you've heard this many times, but your song needs to take the listener in different directions as it progresses. It's hard to give examples for arrangement issues because you literally could take it in so many directions. Try and let you piece evolve and also have distinctive sections i.e. Intro, A, B, C etc.

Also one tip:

Try to start something and finish it. Like, TRULY finish it. I see a bunch of stuff from you here, half-ideas and quarter songs and sound tests, but nothing that you can ever truly call "done". If even just length wise; write out the full melody, record it, and call it done from a structural and melodic sound point.

Then the tweaking can come in to get it SOUNDING good. Don't do what I did and jump from tune to tune to tune, it actually really hinders your ability to grow as a musician/performer/whatever you want to be called. If I had buckled down and done an entire song a lot sooner, I would probably be a lot more successful and happier with my own abilities.