DKC2 - Bee Hive Rmx

Gario

Hey all,

Postin' a mix of the Hive from DKC2, as I don't see it on OCR. Haven't spent much time tweaking the levels yet as the speakers I have at the moment are popping a lot. Oh well. It is set as a heavy electronica mix... as of yet I haven't messed much with the EQ but I plan to do that before I submit :). Let me know what you all think.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1573124

short review in a nutshell.

Your idea of making a some what retro industrial remix is actually rather nice. Your execution of it is however quite poor. The overall mastering is quite muddy and sloppy. The beginning is borderline midi-rip, although it does progress a little into your own thing afterward.

That's pretty much it really, like your idea, need to work on better execution.

Ha, yes, the mastering is very sloppy; I'd even say it is none-existent. Its too loud and even cuts out in a lot of places. However, I'll have to fix it later - my speakers are not giving an accurate sound at the moment. I'll get to it later, though :)

The beginning, though... heh, I really didn't expect it to go farther than a simple arrangement, as I'm trying to get the hang of a newer program, so I guess that shows. I'll take another look at it.

Thanks for the input, Skrypnyk.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Too repetitive

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

Love the concept/idea behind this piece, but yeah the execution needs a bit of work. First and foremost the samples. The only thing I found acceptable was the choir/female voice sample, that works rather well with the piece (at least, that's what I think I'm hearing).

During the intro, the opening toms seem very appropriate for the piece, but breaking further into the tune a more "industrial" sound is definitely required. I honestly believe that with some higher quality samples/synths and a bit of practice with your mastering you could have a very cool tune here. Not OCR material until you get over the repetitiveness of it however; I think you can do a bit more in terms of interpreting the original.

Good stuff though, I enjoyed it.