Zelda: Oracle of Ages 'Essence of Lime' [See community board]

So, a small update: Essence of Lime and Ricochet have been tweaked. Basically I messed with the square leads in each, and I also made the Essence of Lime background strings more synthy like Rozovian suggested. And then I messed with some levels and frequencies to try to make Ricochet sound nicer. Especially the little latin-sounding fragment that was way cluttered. Not big changes, but comments are still welcome.

[links removed]

Also, if you have any Ripples of Time critique, post it within the next week or so. Otherwise I'll be closing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to Shimmering Scales. from 0:00 to 1:20 absolutely radiates passion to me. I love the arrangement. The transition to the Zora Villiage theme feels a little abrupt to me. Then again, the two sources are actually very different in sound. When you go back to the underwater theme at 2:50, I'd really love to hear all of the instruments come back in full force. The strings, the piano, the synth whistle, everything. 0:00 to 1:20 is very strong and passionate, and at 2:50 it seems to pale in comparison.

At the very end, I see the strings move out of the minor mode. Personally I dislike it, but I'm generally part of the minority as far as that's concerned.

Good track. I like it quite a bit. I can't wait to see how this project turns out in the very end.

Thanks for the critique! I've made some changes:

[links removed]

I tried to make the first Zora Village transition a little better, and I added more instruments to the section you mentioned near the end. I also tried switching the ending back to minor, but I didn't like it quite as much, so I left it the way it was. I think it's a personal preference thing (though I might change my mind if a bunch of other people mentioned it as well).

It's been a while since I released a new track, but there are several things in the works. Among the closest to completion:

-A Jabu-Jabu's Belly collaboration between the prophet of mephisto and me

-A House/Maku Road collaboration between Chickenwarlord and me (I'm slacking off on this...)

-A Black Tower Base/Black Tower/Black Tower Turret track by me (this is getting most of my attention at the moment; it's about half done)

Just to let you all know that I'm not just sitting around doing nothing. :D

I've made some changes

I also tried switching the ending back to minor, but I didn't like it quite as much, so I left it the way it was.

Listening now. The transition felt smooth as silk to me. Nice.

At the end, I personally would still like to hear more of that first underwater theme (I mean in terms of duration). The instruments, however, are great now. But I'd love it if you milked all of the minor-key beauty out of the underwater theme. Perhaps try repetitions coming to crescendo, or something, make it dramatic to the point of chills.

Or not- it really is a good, chill track as it stands. I feel like I'm trying to write your track for you, which I shouldn't do.

That's ok; they're valid suggestions. I don't think I want to make it any longer, but I did come up with a different ending while I was tinkering with it today. I thought you might like it better. Changes start at 3:10.

New version

Old version

Any thoughts?

I have to say I like the way you ended the New Version better, however it seems to me like the fade out at the end doesn't fit for some reason. It could just be me, but that's what I'm getting. Possibly fading out the other other instruments, while the ending synth is at a higher volume, could work better? You decide.

I also want to say the song itself is very nice. It's soothing, and flows quite well all around. Although, it seems like it's missing like a signature uniqueness that will grab your attention. You know, how like you remember songs by certain catchy rifts, lyrics, bass lines, or something of that nature? I try to see it as something that will catch my attention and actually cause me to listen to it if I'm doing some else. Sorry if I'm being a bit too "critquey" >_<.

I have to say I like the way you ended the New Version better, however it seems to me like the fade out at the end doesn't fit for some reason. It could just be me, but that's what I'm getting. Possibly fading out the other other instruments, while the ending synth is at a higher volume, could work better? You decide.

I also want to say the song itself is very nice. It's soothing, and flows quite well all around. Although, it seems like it's missing like a signature uniqueness that will grab your attention. You know, how like you remember songs by certain catchy rifts, lyrics, bass lines, or something of that nature? I try to see it as something that will catch my attention and actually cause me to listen to it if I'm doing some else. Sorry if I'm being a bit too "critquey" >_<.

Hey, that's the whole point of this board. XD I'll see what I can do the next time I feel like working on it. Thanks for the input.

In other news, we now have over 10,000 views! Yay!

I had intended to do an over nine thousand joke earlier but I guess I missed it.

All right. As a little break from all the Shimmering Scales updates for a bit, I offer a new track!

[link removed] (Black Tower Base, Black Tower, Black Tower Turret)

It's built around the Black Tower theme, but the base makes an appearance at the beginning and the turret shows up in the middle. Critique, please!

Sources:

Black Tower Base

Black Tower

Black Tower Turret

Oooh I really what you've done with this one. Some really good stuff, especially the Egyptian sounding strings (I think it's a sitar?). I also recognize some of the sounds and the drum soundfont, so extra points for making it sound good. I think it's quite good like it is, but you know, except for the few small touches here and there. You can only keeping editing so much though before your brain melts x_x.

Anyway, one thing that I think might make it sound really good is replacing a rhythm line or making a whole new one, with an electric distorted guitar. Perhaps closer to the ending half of the song. I just think some distorted chords would sound cool, but perhaps it's just me. If you try it, good luck finding a nice-sounding guitar.

I've some other things about the mix... For one I think some of the instrument volumes could be adjusted, possibly so that the brief harmonies can be heard over main the melody. I also think you upped the overall volume, no? Listening to it more though, the drums do kind of seem to stand out in a negative way, due to that snare drum. It could just be from the soundfont quality, but perhaps changing up the snare or making the drums less harsh can help fix it up.

Shimmering Scales ends beautifully. Well done; this track is great in my opinion.

I'm listening to Endless Eclipse now. I love the eastern sound in the beginning. At 2:07, part of me really wants to hear that portion swell. But at the same time, I can tell there is a really chill aura to this whole project. With that in mind, this track is great. I might suggest incorporating more of the Black Tower's source material into this one (the end of it, with those crazy fast descending arpeggios). I'm ecstatic to see that it ends using Black Tower's source material. The ending is absolutely perfect. :D

I'm very happy that one of my favorite tracks from the game was interpreted so well.

This one is staying on my desktop until the project is completed.

Ok. Some updates have been made to Endless Eclipse:

-Added some electric guitar here and there. If it sucks, let me know of any techniques to get it to sound better, or I can easily just take it back out.

-Made the snare drum a bit less harsh.

-Added the ending of the Black Tower source (at 2:55).

-I also slightly adjusted the volume and panning in a few sections.

[links removed]

Yay or not yay?

I'd say that the new version is quite a bit better, however, it might be just me, but I only hear the guitar at one part nearing the end of the song. You might need to make it more noticeable, or just add more parts, but other than that the sound it is good for it's purpose. I don't think you're trying to get an amazing lead here, so it sounds good.

As for the drums, it might just be the soundfont for making the snare sound off. I would actually recommend trying a better drum set from here, possibly:

http://soundfonts.darkesword.com/

Experiment with what sounds best.

Other than that I really enjoyed this this mix. I'm probably going to guess it will be perfect after the next update (to me anyway).

Don't think you have to follow my advice either, but I'm just following my ear (which terrible at picking up key by the way x_x)

Oh yeah, I also might think about perhaps helping with remixing. Not sure what song I'm itching to do, but we'll see, as I have other stuff I'm working on. I use FL and would feel much better about a collab, but ironically enough, I can't use the program "Collab" >_<

The guitars are just fine, I like the addition.

At 0:35 and 0:37 I'm hearing what sounds like record scratching (but it reminds me of a dog barking. Personally, I don't care for it.) Looking back, I can tell that it was in the original, but never bothered me. Listening yet again, I think it's more pronounced in the second one you posted. So, meh. Do with it whatever you like.

I think it's cool that you made a move to add the latter portion of Black Tower's main theme, but I don't think it quite fits where you put it. It seems to clash to me (and I can tell you are a great musician, you must have felt the same way). I'm guessing that if it were to be included, you'd have to add an extra motive or two somewhere.

Guitars are good though. Keep 'em!

edit: oh, one last thing. The snares never bothered me, although I do agree with your decision to tone them down.

I only hear the guitar at one part nearing the end of the song. You might need to make it more noticeable, or just add more parts

It first shows up at 2:27. I might try to adjust some levels there.

As for the drums, it might just be the soundfont for making the snare sound off. I would actually recommend trying a better drum set from here, possibly:

http://soundfonts.darkesword.com/

I'm actually using a layering of a couple different snares, one of which comes from the Ken Ardency set mentioned there. Is there any specific problem you could name (like, they sound too snappy or crunchy or muffled or something), so I have an idea of how to approach it?

Oh yeah, I also might think about perhaps helping with remixing. Not sure what song I'm itching to do, but we'll see, as I have other stuff I'm working on. I use FL and would feel much better about a collab, but ironically enough, I can't use the program "Collab" >_<

PM'd you about this.

At 0:35 and 0:37 I'm hearing what sounds like record scratching (but it reminds me of a dog barking. Personally, I don't care for it.) Looking back, I can tell that it was in the original, but never bothered me. Listening yet again, I think it's more pronounced in the second one you posted. So, meh. Do with it whatever you like.

MAH now it bothers me too. I'll fix that in the next version.

I think it's cool that you made a move to add the latter portion of Black Tower's main theme, but I don't think it quite fits where you put it. It seems to clash to me (and I can tell you are a great musician, you must have felt the same way). I'm guessing that if it were to be included, you'd have to add an extra motive or two somewhere.

So I should reference it earlier in the remix? I can try that.

Okay so, I kind of wanted to surprise the thread with a mix I created myself. I was just doing this for the heck of it, other than helping with the Pirate Theme, so I decided to try my hand at a Lynna City mix. This is my very first attempt an an orchestral piece so hopefully I did it relatively well. I know it's not quite completed, I still need to add a couple effects and mess the EQ a bit. I also know the intro and ending are a bit iffy, but they have the general idea of what I'm going for.

Let me know what you think though, I need to know what other people hear. Instrument volumes are VERY liable for change.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/gbfz

I like the feel you're going for; sort of like some kind of triumphant procession through the village. The section that best conveys this mood is 0:56-1:14; there you've stuck mostly with the original chords but have changed the tone of the original.

Other times, the chords don't fit well. Examples of this are the section from 0:38-0:55 and 2:30-3:06. [dumb criticism removed] And make sure your background strings are in agreement with the rest of your instruments. What I do is I hum the separate notes of a chord in my head before I start putting them down, and then I make sure they all match (I can't read music and I've never taken any classes on it, so I just work by ear). I don't know if that'll help, but it might.

Production-wise, a lot of your instruments are clipping throughout the whole thing. You might try bringing the volumes down a little and applying some Fruity Soft Clipper; that can help.

Also, you should try switching the lead instrument up once in a while. Otherwise it gets too repetitive.

I think the orchestra sound is a good direction for Lynna City. You nailed the mood in the 0:56-1:14 section I mentioned earlier, and the rest of the remix would benefit if you shaped it to sound a little more like this, but with varying melodies and lead instruments. And don't forget about the production stuff. Anyway, I think you're on the right track. Thanks for contributing!

Edit: Oh, and give it a title!

Thanks for the feedback, I just tried to some suggestions before I started taking it a apart a bit more. I wasn't truly going to keep it that repetitive, but the chord info is much appreciated.I've already fixed some stuff up anyway on the beginning and end, so I just have to focus on mostly melodies, mid-song.

As for the clipping I AM using the fruity soft clipper and compressor on the master volume, however it sounds fine to me. I'm not getting any clipping on my end, so it's probably just my crappy headphones (I really need new ones anyway). I'll try to see if I can get it to sound a bit better than it does, though. Thanks :<