Zelda: Oracle of Ages 'Essence of Lime' [See community board]

We definitely need more completed tracks here true. I didn't listen to V2, to tell you the truth. But listening from V1 to the last version... It's a very good change. I can't put my finger on all of it. (I don't have the two to compare on my computer, and I am lazy to download them all and compare them.)

In short: Good work on your update TheKrow

Yeah, we probably do...I'm just naturally hesitant to call things done. TheKrow's off getting critiques on #ocrwip and I'm just sitting around with a bunch of unfinished tracks. XD

Anyway, a small update to [link removed]--fixed the clipping issues at the beginning.

In other news, I just finished a Nayru's Song WIP, and Zorlaxseven and I have a Sadness/Lynna Village collab that's been waiting to be posted (I'll leave that to him, since he did the creative work on it). I'm also working on updating some other tracks, so I'll post those after a while.

Well, not entirely; part of the waiting was to make sure Jazz is Undead got enough attention. But all right, I'll post it.

This is a collab between Zorlaxseven and me. He did the arrangement, and I did the production (what little there is :tomatoface:). The title means "time conquers all" in Latin.

[link removed]

Sources: Sadness, Lynna Village

Remixers: Hylian Lemon, Zorlaxseven

Comments? Suggestions?

P.S. Space has run out in the first post! From now on, you can only access the full track list on the site.

And I'll take a minute to describe the song. (I just didn't want to do the linkage and screw something up and make a fool of myself.)

This song was partly inspired by The Fall of Iselia from the Summonig of Spirits album. I tried to write piano in that style, and in my opinion, I didn't really accomplish that goal :tomatoface:. For the most part it was just me, just writing. No real idea where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do. I learned later, that there was already a piano arrangement of Sadness and that I have it in my playlist, so I unintentionally stole some material.

I really had fun with this and am waiting to make it better.

Man I feel like this will be unnecessary...

Alright, well I just wanted to point out that "omnius" should be "omnia". Sorry, it's just I take Latin and those kind of mistakes bug me :/

Omni is a 4th declension neuter adjective, I believe, so the accusative form should be "omnia" since it's being used as substantive... If my Latin teacher knew, he'd hug me for this :<

Oh as for the song itself, I really think some realistic key velocities would help make this piece. I'm really digging the arrangement of it though. Some EQ support between the the legato strings and piano would be nice; it seemed as if the piano kept overpowering the strings. Maybe little tambourine or some kind of percussion would be nice as well, but that's merely a suggestion of my own because I love percussion :P

Man I feel like this will be unnecessary...

Alright, well I just wanted to point out that "omnius" should be "omnia". Sorry, it's just I take Latin and those kind of mistakes bug me :/

Omni is a 4th declension neuter adjective, I believe, so the accusative form should be "omnia" since it's being used as substantive... If my Latin teacher knew, he'd hug me for this :<

We can change that. The translation came from my mom and younger sister, and they didn't have fancy words to back it up like you do. :<

And could I get some clarification on the EQ issue? Is it just that the strings are too quiet, or do you think the frequencies need to be separated or something? My production-sense (as well as my understanding-people-sense) is still rather weak. And I had to stop myself from using the tomatoface smiley AGAIN just now.

Lemony.

I hereby wish to offer my skill outside of music for this project. I've been using HTML and CSS for close to nine years now. I can go through five tables of raw code in minutes.

That unofficial site is using what looks like a normal GooglePages template, or something otherwise limited. I'd like to be web designer for the project website.

... and maybe I'll be able to throw a mix in, if I'm daring enough. But...! Web Design I can certainly do.

Lemony.

I hereby wish to offer my skill outside of music for this project. I've been using HTML and CSS for close to nine years now. I can go through five tables of raw code in minutes.

That unofficial site is using what looks like a normal GooglePages template, or something otherwise limited. I'd like to be web designer for the project website.

... and maybe I'll be able to throw a mix in, if I'm daring enough. But...! Web Design I can certainly do.

A graphic designer, a web designer, and a new Zelda trailer all in one day! By now my homework has given up on trying to get my attention.

I'll send you a detailed private message tomorrow; I don't have time for it tonight (the internet cuts off around 10pm at my house). But thanks for offering your help!

We can change that. The translation came from my mom and younger sister, and they didn't have fancy words to back it up like you do. :<

And could I get some clarification on the EQ issue? Is it just that the strings are too quiet, or do you think the frequencies need to be separated or something? My production-sense (as well as my understanding-people-sense) is still rather weak. And I had to stop myself from using the tomatoface smiley AGAIN just now.

Alright well, when I'm discussing the EQ, it's like this. Volumes of songs stay the same throughout a song right? Unless you change it with an automation or something of course. The EQ however is like a "smart" volume control that has to do with the individual pitch volumes of the instruments, not everything as a whole.

Let's say you have two treble instruments that are playing at the same part in a song and they are clashing horribly together. One is lead, the other is perhaps backing strings. Typically, you'd want the lead to stand out more, so to solve this problem, tune the highs on the strings below the 0.0dB bar, and the highs on the lead above it. This way the lead will have clear dominance, and they won't be fighting over one another.

But let's say that the strings are in a low pitch. You probably wouldn't have to tune that because the frequencies aren't fighting each other. Another example of this could be kicks and bass. Apply this to the lower frequencies if you want to hear your kicks over the bass.

This is kinda what I was getting at with the piano and the strings in the song. Once again, it could be my crappy headphones, but it's always good to make sure. Sorry, didn't mean to lecture :?

Maybe little tambourine or some kind of percussion would be nice as well, but that's merely a suggestion of my own because I love percussion :P

I know what you're saying, but... A. I don't like a lot of percussion (I can lecture for hours on why I think percussion, in a lot of music, is pointless.) B. Since I have this distaste for percussion, I never really learned how to write good percussion parts.

I mean, to everyone else's ear, all my music can probably be benefited by adding in some percussion. I just can't let myself do that.

But keep the criticism comin'. Need more of it if I wanna be a better composer.

Hi there,

A minor detail seems not to have been mentioned in the thread: is there a genre restriction for the project?

Cause this seem to have a more cool, peaceful vibe to it so far.

Nope, there's no genre restriction. I'll make sure to emphasize that in the main post. Any illusion of one existing is probably the result of me being involved with most of the tracks at the moment.

Pros:

-Production is pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

-Changes in instrumentation over the course of the track keep it from being too repetitive.

-Dropping the melody for a few seconds starting at 0:58 is a good idea. Even though those background notes have been going on throughout the track, bringing them to the front makes them seem fresh.

Cons:

-Despite the alterations you made in terms of instrumentation, the arrangement is too conservative. If you've kept most of the midi's notes intact like you said, you need to do some changing. Don't rely on a midi to do most of the work for you. That said, Ralph's theme is awesome enough that it deserves to be played conservatively once or twice. Just not for the whole track.

-The soundscape is a bit sparse. Filling in some other instruments would be a good opportunity to flesh out the theme and introduce some original material.

-It's so short! Yeah, Ralph's theme is pretty short to begin with, but you can fix that by adding original material or changing the melody every once in a while. You could get this at least over 2 minutes.

And you need to come up with a title!

Anyway, it's good to see this creepy burst in participation!

I'm debating whether this is the best setup for feedback. There are pros and cons to all the methods I can think of...

One topic for the whole project

+ Keeps the project contained and frequently bumped with updates.

- Gets a bit cluttered with all the WIPs, so they don't get all the attention they deserve.

One topic for each track

+ Each track may get more individual attention.

- Seems like it would clutter the WIP board, and the main topic would sink.

A project forum

+ Contained and lets each track have its own topic.

- Tracks wouldn't get much exposure/criticism beyond other remixers on the project.

If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, feel free to speak up.

illidari, it's already starting to sound more unique, though I noticed some off notes in the background around 0:54-0:56. Go ahead and continue working on the length/originality, and come back with a title!

That's a tricky situation indeed...

Even in the thread, tracks don't seem to receive a LOT of criticism.

The main problem of leaving the tracks feedback to the forum readers, is that it depends a whole lot on if they are going to read, listen and be willing to review.

There's an awful lot of projects running together, and unfortunately the average length of a day is still only 24h for everyone.

Each person is gonna pick the one game or style he or she is fond of, and maybe not bother with the rest.

That's why generally, the rating of the tracks for a project is a join effort between the team leader (or album director) & the co-coordinators.

Sometimes the director can prohibit posting tracks on the thread or WIP section, for the sake of keeping it fresh & contained, in case something happens...

And by what I've read, it often does.

Bottom line, the solution may involve selecting a small group of knowledgeable and dedicated people to assist you in this task.

Plan regular (net-)meetings to check the progress and fix the next milestone. Like some kind of production comitee I guess.

This may seem big in proportions, but I assure you it only requires a little bit of organisation... and time of course!

But it can help you bring together the whole thing and motivate people toward the same goal.

I thought it over last night, and I think we'll go the traditional route and make a project forum. This topic is way too disorganized, and at the moment we're not really getting much feedback from anyone outside the project anyway. Hiring one or two co-coordinators is a good idea; I can provide feedback to people, but I'm not perfect. I'd ask Rozovian, but he's already tied up with the SD3 project. What we need is a Rozo clone.

So I might ask around. Whoever is reading this, if you're good at writing critiques and you'd be willing to help out, let me know.

What we need is a Rozo clone.

Those are pretty rare these days you know. :mrgreen:

Hopefully, the 'forum' will turn out to be the best choice.

Perhaps you could put the request for critics in the first post. Now it's an important part of your project too.

I would gladly help you looking out for willingful reviewers, but I doubt they would be charmed by my inexistant star power...

Guess I should get back to my Ganon remix now.

Anyway, I hope this project can gather some good & knowledgeable people to help with the critiques.

I say using the #ocrwip irc (haha, I love it) is one of the better options. Go ahead with the project forum idea, but it would be best for immediate feedback from good people. I know Taucer is usually always there and he's good at critques. I recommend checking it out at least once.

Right, I'd still allow people to seek feedback elsewhere. #ocrwip is usually a pretty good source of criticism, for anyone who wants more than they're getting. Mainly the forum will be to help keep things more organized, though hopefully it'll allow contributors to more easily comment on each others' tracks.

So there we go:

Project forums (yes, it's proboards, and no, I don't care if you're one of those people who demand high-tech, pretty message boards for everything)

I'm putting it in the main post and contacting the contributors now. We may continue to post new tracks in this topic in order to keep it alive and visible to people who might be interested in joining, but contributors should focus their feedback on each other's tracks in the project forums.

i really wish i could contribute to this project more then just with graphics!

I love zelda!

but i have no recording equipment whatsoever, no money, and all i can really play is guitar and vox, and im not particularly spectacular at either! haha

so come on, you guys need step it up! i want to see this project kick serious ass!

the fate of one of my childhoods fondest games rests in your hands OCR community!

:D