OCR01718 - Final Fantasy V "My Home, My Friends"

This reminds me a fair amount of a more dramatic Jeremy Soule. Or rather, like a more dramatic version of Jeremy Soule's ambient tracks from the Elder Scrolls series. Perhaps maybe mostly for the first part. At some points, it works really well - at others, I think it's a bit too much - not enough down time and too much "cymbal crash! Strrriiiiiiings!" The intro especially seemed to be getting off to a wonderful start, and then suddenly we had runs in the strings and woosh! Drama! I would have liked to hear the slow part really play with some chords and melodic ideas. Also, the piece feels like it stays in a certain pitch range for the majority of its duration, but I might be wrong on that. Still, I would have liked to hear more contrast in highs and lows.

But! That's not enough of a problem to bring down the really great aspects of this piece. Easily Vampire Hunter Dan's best work that I can remember. I do wish that he would have developed the slow sections a lot more and ultimately increased the length of the song that way, but his ideas here are creative and well executed. His use of brass here is also flawless, and THAT alone is worth almost infinite praise on OCR.

We need more stuff like this!

First of all, I really loved this piece.

Now, in an atempt of constructive criticism, I have a complaint: There is this great "evil" part that begins around 2:20, but at 3:00 it shifts onto a totally diferent mood with no transition at all.

Other than that, this whole piece is gorgeous, really.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I reviewed this already. Anyways.

I like how this was slowed down and made more dramatic. It really brings out the feeling of longing. On the opposite side, having the more 'quirky' sections kept the mood a little lighter, in a good way.

I don't know the source of the 'dark' part of the song, but I can't say I really like it. It was too far removed from the rest of the piece.

I don't know if it's just because I'm playing things a little quiet, but I felt like the volume could use a boost.

Overall, I like the piece, just some detracting factors lessened my enjoyment a little.

Nicely done.

I have a complaint: There is this great "evil" part that begins around 2:20, but at 3:00 it shifts onto a totally diferent mood with no transition at all.

Seconded. Considering how smooth everything else in this remix works together, this transition was really lackluster.

Other than that, everything else in this piece comes together beautifully. In other words, it's exactly the quality-orchestra-arrangement you expect when you think about Vampire Hunter Dan.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The source tunes are two of the most beautiful melodies in Final Fantasy V (and the FF series in general) and I'm glad to hear them getting the orchestral treatment. A shame to see this with so few reviews, but understandable as the game never had a prominent North American release.

I'm actually a little surprised I didn't review this arrangement myself before now. The "Home Sweet Home" section is epic and sweeping, and probably wouldn't sound out of place if you heard it while watching Braveheart. The transition provides drama and variety while preparing listeners for the march-like rhythms of the "Dear Friends" section, which in my opinion would be perfect for a Final-Fantasy-themed wedding.

Dan never skimps in terms of arrangement or sample quality, and "My Home, My Friends" is an excellent example of his skill. Definitely recommended.

This remix nearly brings me to tears, then it picks me right back up and ends with a flourish. It's delicate yet majestic, and the balance in instrumentation and in arrangement is simply marvelous. I've always been a sucker for the harp, so its entrance seals the deal for me. Though the first 2:20 is out-of-this world beautiful, the rest of the song also superb, and the melding of the two themes toward the end wraps things up nicely.

I understand the complaints of the transition after 3:00, but I don't mind it. I envision this being played in the closing scene of a ballet: perhaps a wedding as Dhsu mentioned, at 2:20 an entrance by possible antagonists who eventually reveal their approval of the occasion, at 3:15 some wistful remembrances of several prior adventures that took place with the guests on hand, a short procession at 4:22, and a closing starting at 4:50 with a fitting happily-ever-after retreat of the couple that somehow still leaves open the possibility for future adventures.

I'm no expert on orchestral works, to say the least, but I find what you have crafted here to be truly phenomenal.

Thank you, Mr Barnaba.

• 11 months later...

It's a shame that this hasn't gotten many comments, Vampire Hunter Dan manages to make solid music.

I definitely like this take though. I find it hard to place my finger on why, but perhaps it's because of the semi-dramatic approach it starts off with, and then a more mechanical/playful section, to then further on with a mix of My Home Sweet Home and Dear Friends. Someone with more theory knowledge can probably pinpoint how the song does things nicely, but it has a great flow to it.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01718 - Final Fantasy V "My Home, My Friends"