Midi or self-made?

I'm kinda new to making remixes of video game music (been wanting to, now am). A friend uses midi files to get the basic song, but I haven't found any that are accurate to the music I'm trying to remix. Do you use midis, and where should I go for good midi files (ones that sound accurate, or really close)?

I use my ears.

MIDI files do not sound accurate; at best, they're arranged accurately. If you expect the General MIDI synth on a cheap on-board soundcard (or an expensive one, all built-in GM synths are crap) to sound like the original, give up your search :).

Lots of people import the midi and replace the instruments with sytrus presets. I think vgmusic.com has some good ones.

Although there is nothing wrong with this approach, you may want to consider doing it without a midi after you get the hang of how to "midi rip" as it is called.

Have fun

I would say not to use midi files unless you absolutely have to because if you use it as a base, your remix will sound too much like the original and you can't be creative if too much of the foundation is set. Like I see people grabbing midis off of VGMusic and "remixing" in 8 bit, afterward posting them on Youtube. Usually the results come out terribly.

Midi rips = bad, anyone can take a midi and switch the sounds.

If you want to use midi (it can save a ton of time in figuring out the song) then go ahead, but use it as a base to make your own material off of (meaning use it just to know the notes in the song, but try to re-make the song in your own personal style). Everyone has their own taste, but midi-rips are just stealing someone elses work.

ok, so "midi ripping" isn't a good idea for a completely original remix. as i said in my first post, i'm kinda new to this, so i'll work my way up to my own compositions soon. also, i haven't found a midi file yet that is accurate, so i can't really do anything about that, huh.

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on what kind or what track i'm remixing. If i only want to use one melody from original track, i make it myself. If i wanna produce a whole new track based on the original score, i'll find the midi, and just open it in FL. what i never do is copy midi from original. I always create my own material. its like when i get remix requests from labels, they want me to use main melody or main lead from original track, but i always end up making my own melodies on a remix...

..or does this not make sense at all? (i'm waaaay over my bedtime now...)

//White Penguin // Sinfour

-Black Hole recordings / In Trance We trust

-Neuroscience rec

-Moonrising rec

-Drizzly Rec

-Real Legacy rec

-Real music rec

www.myspace.com/djsinfour

• 3 weeks later...