OCR Cribs (the "Post Pics of your Studio Area" thread!)

• 2 weeks later...

i'll stick my neck out and post this, and I will probably regret it later! my current setup is bare-bones and not very efficient. maybe it'll at least show people how not to do it? i guess?

http://www.shakal.net/lunar/temp/room.jpg

stuff = fairly cheap decade-old casio CTK-631, consumer-range creative 5.1 speakers which are in stupidass places (hard to know where else to put them), mu100 tone generator (out of shot on the desk behind the chair, w0pz), beyerdynamic dt-231 galactic cans (again, consumer range FWIW), and i'm using an audigy 2 soundcard. everything else is software, and there's not a whole lot of that either, relatively speaking. funtimes.

so yeah i should start laying down shitloads of dosh and get a more efficient work environment in here, for sure. it's pretty embarassing. it got me through my degree though.

Senor Harris-o, I used those Creative speakers a LOT when I was first starting. They actually give a pretty damn good monitor for music production. I'm kind of thinking of rigging up a couple of them on top of my BX8s to add to the highs (which for some reason seem to be lacking for where I have them). I also have that same monitor now as a second monitor...

since 2009 cribs thread is going dead and this, hopefully, getting split I'm joining the fun:

macbook3.jpg

Seriously, that's pretty much my set-up right there (if Reason and sometimes Live is on-screen). I will however take some real pictures when my sister gets home with her awesome camera (then it includes a pair of headphones, a bed and a keyboard too!) and maybe some screencaps for the tech-geeky. It's always fun to see these things.

I used those Creative speakers a LOT when I was first starting. They actually give a pretty damn good monitor for music production

Yeah they're not bad, wide frequency response. The biggest problem I have with them is the way they're positioned, I literally have no better way to position them in here. I'd need to buy a flat screen in order to get more space on the desk, this monitor is way too big, wish it'd just hurry up and die :D Also, I dunno... speaker systems with bass wheels on the volume control don't seem a good idea for mixing purposes. Admittedly I never touch the bass wheel, so I'm familiar with how much is too much/not enough bass, etc. Still an obstacle I'd rather not have, and if I'm ever going to be seriosmusicianlol then I'll need monitors. Better save the pennies eh?

I really like the look of that keyboard djp has. I'd like something similar, full range semi-weighted, pitch+mod (guess that's standard anyway) and maybe some other programmable faders/knobs. Also polyphonic aftertouch, though I don't know what sort of premium you pay for that. Then there's the question of whether it's worth spending extra for a ROMpler or synthesiser component, and who knows how many other features you only realise you want AFTER you've gone and made a purchase on something that doesn't asdhgbkhbasdk okay you get the point. I guess most of the time we're spoiled for choice with music gear, but keyboards seem especially bad in this respect.

Keyboards that include synth engines and sounds are good if you do live gigs. They're somewhat limited in a studio setting, and have a little more of a learning curve than throwing up a software plugin in order to get multitimbral sound. In the long run it's usually better to spend the bucks on a decent controller, especially if you're on a budget. Unless you're spending a whack of cash I usually find that you're going to compromise on either the action and quality of the controller, or the features of the sound module. A lot of manufacturers are a business first, and cater to musicians second. They're in it to make money and will cut corners wherever they think they can.

Keyboards that include synth engines and sounds are good if you do live gigs. They're somewhat limited in a studio setting, and have a little more of a learning curve than throwing up a software plugin in order to get multitimbral sound. In the long run it's usually better to spend the bucks on a decent controller, especially if you're on a budget. Unless you're spending a whack of cash I usually find that you're going to compromise on either the action and quality of the controller, or the features of the sound module. A lot of manufacturers are a business first, and cater to musicians second. They're in it to make money and will cut corners wherever they think they can.

Seconded. I have my Motif ES 8 purely for piano-practice-with-headphones and live performance reasons. However it is phat and the sounds will eventually find it's way into my remixes (especially some of the synth sounds and ethno sounds)

lovin the arp line on the computer =)

what kind of keyboard is that?

Thanks, the track is Malevolent Mansion. :)

The keyboard is an Evolution MK-461C. The 61 key setup is the perfect size for me, not too big and not too small. It's not bad for a MIDI controller, though the action isn't the greatest for realistically playing in live piano. All the knobs and sliders come in handy for automating volume and filters on loops when messing around with live performances. The majority of the time while producing, I just have my left hand on the keys while clicking sequences in with the right.

I was gonna take a pic or two then post. But then I saw everyone else's posts. I got nothing. Really. All i have is a custom built machine, a GearBox, a couple guitars, a crummy cheap dynamic mic, and a drum machine that no matter how much help i get I cant get to fricken work!

I WANT ALL YOUR THINGS!!!!

I was gonna take a pic or two then post. But then I saw everyone else's posts. I got nothing. Really. All i have is a custom built machine, a GearBox, a couple guitars, a crummy cheap dynamic mic, and a drum machine that no matter how much help i get I cant get to fricken work!

I WANT ALL YOUR THINGS!!!!

You don't need alot of gadgets though, look at Another Soundscape's post earlier. That being said, having alot of toys really is cool.