OCR Cribs (the "Post Pics of your Studio Area" thread!)

• 3 weeks later...

My new digs in appalling cell phone quality, better quality coming soon (my housemate is a photography enthusiast):

Fishystudio.jpg

That monitor is simultaneously connected to my macbook, my gaming pc, my ps2 and my haxbox tree-sitty, whatever I want to use it for. I also have my beloved cake poster for inspiration.

Stuff of note:

Korg Nanokey

Chair is blocking your view of Guitar RigKontrol

Keyboard is blocking your view of Tascam US144 soundcard

My latest guitar on the right, Ibanez AJD91-c (chocobolo)

Closeup:

n541971894_1727841_5959.jpg

Looks like you've got a Lambda interface there, but is that another interface in the 5.25" drive bay?

Yes, something I actually brought back to life last week. I don't know how I fixed it, but that little thing there breaking was the reason I got the Lambda in the first place: Creative X-Fi Platinum. It died a while back and I was sick of dealing with Creative products and drivers so I opted for the Lambda and said "to hell with it". I had compy issues last week resulting in the consolidation of my gaming and music PCs together, and for shits-and-giggles I tried the X-Fi after straightening some capacitors and carefully cleaning out a lot of the connection spots...and it fucking worked. Great for recording a "What U Hear" track now, and just easier to prevent driver conflicts between music players/web and Sonar instances.

Also, that's a Pod XT there, an Ibanez AEL20E acoustic-electric, a Gibson SG faded, and a bunch of random crap (Mics are MXL 990 and 991)

Yes, something I actually brought back to life last week. I don't know how I fixed it, but that little thing there breaking was the reason I got the Lambda in the first place: Creative X-Fi Platinum. It died a while back and I was sick of dealing with Creative products and drivers so I opted for the Lambda and said "to hell with it". I had compy issues last week resulting in the consolidation of my gaming and music PCs together, and for shits-and-giggles I tried the X-Fi after straightening some capacitors and carefully cleaning out a lot of the connection spots...and it fucking worked. Great for recording a "What U Hear" track now, and just easier to prevent driver conflicts between music players/web and Sonar instances.
I love those kinds of stories. Like analoq said earlier in this thread, OCR musicians really should be commended for how much they're able to accomplish with the limited/cheap/broken/homemade/"consumer-grade" equipment that fills most of our studios. I've heard a lot of music here that doesn't just sound "good for someone with limited resources". I've heard lots of music that's just plain good.
Just in case anyone wants to see a pic of my Les Paul...
sexy

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and Rode NT1-A. Mmmm, fun.

I keep hearing things about the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros!!! I'm really tempted to just say "fuck it" and order a pair. Better than the sony-stock with a half-chewed wire I've been using. Also, nice shock-mount. I only recently got a pop-filter for the first time ever, and it truly does make a huge difference.

Oh, and here's a sort of 270 degree view of my little studio to give you a better idea of where I work. It's not a very good attempt at doing this sort of thing but you get the idea of what the room looks like.

http://www.bsodmusic.com/temp/thestudio.jpg

Duuuuude, that door looks mighty crumpled. Black hole up there or something? OH! And I see a PS2 controller on top of an amp...were you playing games while you could have been posting WIPs? For shame, shaggy, for shame!!!

I really like your setup though, and that Les Paul looks like a dream.

I keep hearing things about the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros!!! I'm really tempted to just say "fuck it" and order a pair.
15% off sale at Guitar Center this weekend, now's you're chance! Although I'd go in and listen on a few other pairs before taking the plunge. I like them, but I could see someone not liking them as well.
I only recently got a pop-filter for the first time ever, and it truly does make a huge difference.
Before I bought that, I held a sock (a clean, one mind you) in front of my mouth to keep plosives out without having to angle my head away from the mic. After years of practice I had perfected the technique, and the results were great, but it wasn't too impressive when I had people over to record. Ladies love a rock singer, not a sock singer :tomatoface::tomatoface::tomatoface:

stevo i actually wouldn't recommend those senns - the plastic that wraps around the top of the top of my cans is still breaking apart from simply using them - and the drivers seem weak - they are extremely comfortable and great for blocking out sound if your doing a vox take but i wouldn't buy them again myself

For a comparable price range, AKG makes some decent (and comfortable) headphones.

Although, despite what Jay's saying, I'm not sure I know a better value than the HD280's for paying under $90 for a pair.

I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard that Beyer Dynamic makes pretty decent stuff.

Personally, I've got the M-Audio Q40's. They sound great, but I'll be the first to admit, they're uncomfortable as hell, even after breaking them in for a year.

Remember, use our affiliate links with either Amazon or Zzonds, and not only do you still get the best deal, OCR gets a small percentage of the sale. Win/Win!

For a comparable price range, AKG makes some decent (and comfortable) headphones.

Although, despite what Jay's saying, I'm not sure I know a better value than the HD280's for paying under $90 for a pair.

I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard that Beyer Dynamic makes pretty decent stuff.

Personally, I've got the M-Audio Q40's. They sound great, but I'll be the first to admit, they're uncomfortable as hell, even after breaking them in for a year.

Remember, use our affiliate links with either Amazon or Zzonds, and not only do you still get the best deal, OCR gets a small percentage of the sale. Win/Win!

Well, you got a small percentage cause I just ordered the Senn 280's on recommendation from Avaris last night. Sorry Jay, thanks for the tip about the plastic though. I'll make sure to be super-extra-special-plastic-wrap-over-it-like-an-older-person's-sofa careful. :wink:

Someone tell me when OCR offers a time-space altering device under the "stuff we think rocks" section. Those headphones that DJP swears by look pretty sweet too...

Finally got my dorm studio set up, thanks to a new toy. Notice my lack of cleaning (I was out this weekend and I caught some sickness that has been floating around campus) and lack of care of said lack of cleaning...

What happened to your Nord dude?

Will try to take a pic of my set-up next week once something new and cool arrives bwhahaha.