OCR Cribs (the "Post Pics of your Studio Area" thread!)

I am indeed using creatures. They're definitely not flat monitors, but I've mixed everything I've done through them and my proper AKG headphones and just made sure to test it on a whole bunch of other things to be sure. They're a hella lot better then normal PC speakers but I would still recommend proper monitors if budget allows. I'm planning on getting some soon. And yeah <3 valve store, I have an aperture mug too :D.

Damn it, I'm trying to remember what that keyboard's called. I've played with one and it is pretty damn cool but way out of my price range. It's the pitch-bend knob on the top-left that is totally distinctive....

Nord Stage

Clavia is one of the few companies who I dig everything they've put out as an instrument, favorite keyboard company by far, all of their stuff is total quality.

I actually prefer the joystick-style bend & mod on the Korg TR beneath it, but the stage is fantastic. Not wild about the synthesizer on it though, but I don't know of anything else that does organs that well and also does good piano and electric piano sounds - usually, it's one or the other, or you don't have drawbars for the organ.

I paid $2,800 CDN when I bought it. Due to the economy, prices have gone up in Canada for virtually all music gear this year, plus they released a newer version with double the sample memory. It'd be $3,270 CDN to buy it now. The only way I could afford it was that I lost vacation time when switching jobs last year, and the vacation pay they owed me covered most of the price. The Korg I got free by trading in the sax I never play anymore.

I have a pair of BX5as, a FastTrack Pro, an ART Tube Preamp, and AT2020 and an SM57. Just today I added the two Marantz speakers in the corners and an Onkyo receiver to check mixes on / etc. I use REAPER for all my recording and mixing.

1004091309.jpg

1004091309a.jpg

1004091320f.jpg

These were put away in the photos above, but I've got a little Frontman 25R for guitar and a Rumble 100 for bass. Both work wonderfully for live and recording.

0812091616.jpg

Edited by AMT

I have a pair of BX5as, a FastTrack Pro, an ART Tube Preamp, and AT2020 and an SM57. Just today I added the two Marantz speakers in the corners and an Onkyo receiver to check mixes on / etc. I use REAPER for all my recording and mixing.
Do you hear a difference with the Art pre over the preamps in the Fast Track? Nothing wrong with having more pres lying around, especially a tube preamp; I'm just wondering if it gives you any additional capabilities.

Do you hear a difference with the Art pre over the preamps in the Fast Track? Nothing wrong with having more pres lying around, especially a tube preamp; I'm just wondering if it gives you any additional capabilities.

I have an ART Tube PAC that I use quite a bit. I also have one of their little Tube MPs too. Despite being fairly cheap, they actually sound pretty damn good. I prefer using them over the preamps in my Digi 002r.

I can't hear a difference myself but I can record some comparison samples later for the curious.
I'm curious, but I'm more curious to hear how you'd go about doing comparison samples. I've been trying to think of a way to compare the preamps in my new ProFire 2626 to those in the FastTrack Pro and I can't think of a good objective test. From just playing around with it, I can't hear a difference in vocals, but I swear my direct-in guitar sounds cleaner and more...realistic(?).

In fact, it would be really cool if we had a way of equally comparing EVERYONE's preamps in this thread so we could try to hear the difference between a $100 pre and a $2000 one :)

Off the top of my head I'd probably position the mic in front of a monitor, play back a sample of some sort, then switch what the mic is plugged in to and play the sample again without moving anything else. That's the only way I can think of, really.

EDIT: Here's a quick test:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=507c82cc226f7aef0c814df2efeadc50e04e75f6e8ebb871

Raw is the sound I played, ART is through the preamp and FastTrack is straight into the audio interface. What do you guys think?

Edited by AMT

Ah, so you bought the Profire, then? Welcome to the family :)

How's it working out for you so far?

Thanks, I'm loving it so far! Very very sexy. Check out my last response in this thread to see why I went with it over the Lexicon. Pics to come :)
Off the top of my head I'd probably position the mic in front of a monitor, play back a sample of some sort, then switch what the mic is plugged in to and play the sample again without moving anything else. That's the only way I can think of, really.
Yeah, that would work, but you can't compare it to the original sample since you've got D/A converters, speakers, a room, and mics changing the sound before it hits the preamp. Better might be to take a sample and route the output directly into each preamp for comparison.
EDIT: Here's a quick test:

What do you guys think?

I don't hear a difference, but I think the source has a fairly limited frequency content. That may have been on purpose, but I bet there would be more discernible differences in something like an acoustic guitar

hmm well im not too sure what has changed since the last time I posted, but here goes anyways :P

I tried to do one of them panoramic shots, but it didnt turn out that well (especially the last pic :P) (click on the picture to view a higher resolution pic)

So I have:

Drumset

Rokit 5 Studio Monitors

AKG 240 MK II Studio Headphones

Focusrite Saffire Firewire Audio Interface

Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard

2 Sweet ass monitors

1 Shure SM 58 Microphone

My yamaha keyboard that I barely use anymore :(

and uhhh... I guess thats it.

Also, My set up is Reason 4.0(or Record 1.0) rewired in to Ableton Live. Left screen is for Reason/Record, and right screen is for ableton :D

MyRoomSmall.jpg