OCR Cribs (the "Post Pics of your Studio Area" thread!)

@bgc yea, those are DSM1's... i've since dropped down to mackie near-fields, as i'm picking up the jbl lsr4's and sub for my midfields

Sweet man. Once again, I had an opportunity to pick up the DSM1's OR the DSM3's for INSANELY cheap before I left GC, and I am just murdering myself for not doing it. I'm highly impressed with your gear lineup, mang!

What no velocity on the MASSIVE synth solo! (some mighty sequencing there my friend)

I rarely edit velocities on synth solos. Organic instrument, yes, but not synths. :) (Also, what are you talking about, the last note is clearly quieter than the rest) :tomatoface:

Got a new addition to the studio rig:

screenshot-10-15-2009-10-14-37.jpg

Very very nice. One of these days, I'm going to pull a Yoozer and start buying as much hardware as I can get my hands on. ...When I can afford it.

Haha, let the band of Casio-brothers unite!

@shaggyfreak - That thing looks sweet.

Ok I have a question for everyone whoever answers first and I've been meaning to ask this for a while. How do analog synths work? Do you plug into a keyboard and have the keyboard goin out to wherever or what? I've always been confused how that worked.

Depends on the synth. Modern analog synths can be connected via USB or MIDI. With USB, you can have it controlled by your computer sequencer. With MIDI you can control it with a MIDI controller keyboard or a computer MIDI interface. Back in the day before MIDI, analog synths had to be controlled with CV (control voltage) keyboards. There are still plenty of modular synths out there that are controlled with CV and there are MIDI to CV converters out there as well. For example, check out the systems at http://www.synthesizers.com .

Some modern day analog synths can also send the audio output over USB but you can always just send the direct audio out from the analog synth into your computer audio interface. I have the Mopho working in the latter since it doesn't have a USB connection.

I have to know what the "push it" button does.

It can be programmed to do a small handful of things. It's most useful function, though, is to test a patch. So, if you press it, it will often just play a note that it's programmed to play. The 'push it' button can also be used to start up the sequencer that's in the Mopho. Stuff like that.

I've gotten a new apartment since these pics of my setup, but the layout is almost identical so, no new full setup shots. However, my latest and greatest acquisition, the new heart of the studio, the ProFire 2626, deserves a photo:

HarmonyCentral.JPG

DAW: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, WinXP/Kubuntu, 4GB, 1.5TB over 4 drives, SONAR, FL Studio.

So when I bought the ProFire 2626 I thought I'd take the opportunity to clean up the spaghetti pile of wires that was behind my desk. To help, I came up with this diagram of everything with a wire near my setup:

StudioLayout-1.png

I ended up buying a bunch of wire clips and flexible wire tubes (for lack of a better term). Behind my desk still looks like spaghetti, but it's organized, audio wires are separated from power wires, and it's MUCH better than before (just trust me on that last one):

HarmonyCentralWires.jpg

Edited by Harmony

a fantastic way to organize cabling is to install a pegboard behind your desk, and route all cables using the hangar clips that come with it. you need the extra deep ones that allow the wires to just sit on the rack.

another way is to use some brand of ikea wire tie rack that allows for the easy routing of cables because it sits like a flexible tray behind your desk.

a fantastic way to organize cabling is to install a pegboard behind your desk, and route all cables using the hangar clips that come with it. you need the extra deep ones that allow the wires to just sit on the rack.

another way is to use some brand of ikea wire tie rack that allows for the easy routing of cables because it sits like a flexible tray behind your desk.

Haha...IKEA. :-P

That's one hell of a se-up Harmony! I am literally sitting at the exact same desk right now. 8-O

that is beautiful man. I think I just cried a little. :)
Thanks! I'm proud of my little setup.

Ha, good ideas. I have a few adhesive-backed wire clips that are on the back of the desk to route wires more sensibly, but it's not a flexible system if I ever need to move the desk.

That's one hell of a se-up Harmony! I am literally sitting at the exact same desk right now.

WalMart desk brothers unite!

I just noticed, you have your Axiom plugged in? Why not just use the bus power? Also, what's to become of your Fast Track?
Dude, I JUST noticed that too and it's a typo...line-o. I'm using bus power. I'll fix the diagram soon. I'm trying to think of ways to integrate the FastTrack into the setup without forcing it, but it's tricky. Right now it's serving as an additional headphone jack and the i/o connection between the stereo and the PC. I've been really interested in doing on-location recordings lately (drum circle, here I come!) so maybe I'll use it as a mobile interface for that.
I see a copy of Sonar (6?) Studio edition! SONAR BROTHERS FOR LIFE! I can't be desk brothers, mine's from target. I am quite jealous of your setup, it looks so pretty and productivity-conducive.
Yes sir, SONAR 6 SE is the best! (until I upgrade). And when you come over tomorrow, I want a shot of you in the studio!

Ha, good ideas. I have a few adhesive-backed wire clips that are on the back of the desk to route wires more sensibly, but it's not a flexible system if I ever need to move the desk.

a really, REALLY simple way to do it as well is to use butterfly clips, binder clips, whatever you call them (big triangular black clips with silver wing tabs to open them), and just tack them to the back of your desk with a thumbtack or nails or something. they're easily adjusted and you can just lift the damn things off of the desk when you need to move them.

i'm crazy about desktop organization. like, i'm custom-building a desk with my dad next year when we move to a real house instead of this tiny-ass apartment we live in right now.

Haha nice! I like this picture a lot better since it's zoomed out. I was wonderin about the speakers, why are they so high? Are they fine bein that high? I'm also curious about how much the desk was? Not like I have room anyways but I'm tryin to decide if I want an actual desk with rack mounts built into them or a desk like that from wally world or somethin lol.

Haha nice! I like this picture a lot better since it's zoomed out. I was wonderin about the speakers, why are they so high? Are they fine bein that high? I'm also curious about how much the desk was? Not like I have room anyways but I'm tryin to decide if I want an actual desk with rack mounts built into them or a desk like that from wally world or somethin lol.
Glad you liked it! As I said earlier, I already posted the zoomed out shots earlier in the thread.

I primarily use the 4 white mini satellite speakers with sub for everything. I've had them for 10 years now and they are still going strong :) The two larger stereo speakers are only used if I want to play a tape/cd/radio on the stereo system, or if I really want 6 speakers going simultaneously to either impress a chick or annoy the neighbors.

The desk was around $120 (I think) a few years back. It's served me well through two moves now. Pros: it's a corner unit which saves space in smaller rooms. This also means that if you put it in a corner, there is a gap between it and the wall that makes back access very easy. Cons: this particular unit is not well suited for a dual monitor setup and I worry whether it could accommodate even a single a nice big 24" monitor. The one you see in the pics is a 20". I'd only get a real studio desk if you plan on having enough rack mounted hardware to actually justify it. One or two units won't s really cut it, IMO. I've seen some pretty slick homebuilt racks for smaller setups like mine that I'd like to try if I ever decide to get a rack.

Edited by Harmony

Nice nanoKey; smallest DAW ever.

I sold Kore along with its controller to switch to a different but similar piece of software that's much more suited for live performance, and I picked up a nanoKey to replace the Kore Controller (I have all the knobs I really need for live performance on my Korg TR). The nanoKey kind of sucks as a keyboard (though, it's great for being able to go wherever with my laptop and not have to stand beside my keyboards, particularly when I'm working on tweaking synth sounds and need an easy way to hear what I'm doing), but it's also really useful for sending controller messages. I'm definitely happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

New Mic :-o

Just picked up an Audix D4 for recording the low end of my djembe, and maybe the bongos. I also picked up a D-Vice mic clamp which I thought would attach nicely to the bottom rim of the djembe, but thanks to a finicky design by Audix, no dice on that one. Although the clamp claims versatility, that thing won't attach to anything except metal rimmed toms or snares, and with how poorly designed it is I'd bet that even some of those are difficult to attach to :-/ Anyway, I ended up having to construct a bracket (ugh) that would accommodate the d-vice, then drill into the djembe (ugh) to attach the bracket. Not happy with the d-vice at all, but I am happy with what I was able to do with it (second pic).

D4.JPGD4_ClippedIn.JPG

The mic sounds great! I just did a little test run (hope I didn't wake the neighbors banging on my drum at 1am) using the D4 on the bottom and my Rode NT1-A on the top:

The sample plays through 4 times:

1) top mic (NT1-A) only. raw audio, no processing.

2) bottom mic (D4) only. raw audio, no processing.

3) top+bottom. raw audio, no processing.

4) top+bottom. compression on each mic, EQ'd out the high end on the D4, EQ'd out the low end on the NT1-A, compressed below 80Hz on the D4 to keep rumble in check, limited and further compressed the whole thing.