OCR Cribs (the "Post Pics of your Studio Area" thread!)

oooooo brandon - seems like someone is getting ready for their sample library :D
Haha, yeah I did think about sampling my djembe, but I already piss my neighbors off enough with my yelling (a.k.a. singing) and occasional drum playing :)
just make sure you check the phase on that bottom mic - your probably gonna have to invert it
I thought about that, but I'm not so sure it's the best way to go for a djembe in general, primarily because the frequencies that you end up picking up at the top and the bottom are very different. So, for example, when you have a low frequency (and likely high amplitude) wave recorded at the bottom, the same wave recorded at the top will be of a much lower amplitude and will be contaminated heavily with the high frequency content of the initial hand strike. So the phase cancellation should be minimal. But it would still be significant enough of an issue if the mics weren't separated by almost 3 feet. With that distance, like you alluded to, I think the two signals are enough out of phase that it may end up hurting the audio sum by inverting the phase of one of the signals. Take a look at this:

Capture.PNG

The top wave is the top mic and it's view has been magnified vertically 10X. This is the low strike on the djembe that you hear at the beginning of the loop. You can see the much greater high freq content in the top mic and, judging by the 10X zoom, you can also see how big of a difference in amplitude there is between the two signals. Finally, you can also see the slight phase lag on the bottom mic.

Put these together, and as said, I'm not sure that inverting the bottom mic is the right thing to do. Any thoughts?

You're probably better off just moving the mic slightly and find out which spot gives the least phasing issues for the frequencies you want. Inverting isn't your only option.

100% agreed. Def try to get it right at mic level.

Brandon, if you don't already have one, you should def look into finding a good spectrum analyzer for phase etc... for the recording.

Haha, speed-of-sound based mic placement for optimal phase alignment on a djembe? Please, for my sake, let's leave that idea on the drawing board. My job is fluid dynamics, I do music to get AWAY from it :)

Brandon, if you don't already have one, you should def look into finding a good spectrum analyzer for phase etc... for the recording.
Yeah I've got one that I like, but I really wouldn't know how to use it to determine phase cancellation effects. It's something I'll look into though. And as you all have said, I'll play with the mic placement and make sure I'm getting the fullest sound possible.

Dude, I've gotten 3 moves out of this thing so far, up and down many flights of stairs, and the desk just keeps on tickin. Have faith in the Wal*Mart desk, she can do it! One more move! One more move!

I've given up on corner desks. They're such a pain in the butt and they suck to move. I'm all about the modular desk stuff at Ikea.

I've given up on corner desks. They're such a pain in the butt and they suck to move. I'm all about the modular desk stuff at Ikea.

I am learning this as well. Though mine isn't considered a corner desk as much as an L-desk. It's been good to me, but as I've accumulated more hardware, it hasn't quite been able to accommodate it that well. If it were a non-music-workstation-desk, it would be baller, because it would be really easy to set up 3 monitors on.

I am learning this as well. Though mine isn't considered a corner desk as much as an L-desk. It's been good to me, but as I've accumulated more hardware, it hasn't quite been able to accommodate it that well. If it were a non-music-workstation-desk, it would be baller, because it would be really easy to set up 3 monitors on.

Yeah, I prefer to have as much desk space as possible. Corner/L desks often don't give you much in the way of that. For my recording set up, I'm glad that I have an actual mixing desk. If I didn't, though, I'd be all over just have a nice big flat table top.

Dude, I've gotten 3 moves out of this thing so far, up and down many flights of stairs, and the desk just keeps on tickin. Have faith in the Wal*Mart desk, she can do it! One more move! One more move!

I wish that was the case. This poor desk has been through 5 moves and is over 6 years old. :(

I'll be moving twice in the next 3 months, so it would have to make it through 2 moves. Alas I shall have a parting drink with my desk though.

Haha! I like how you FORCED the dual monitor setup to work with it. Oh, and how do you not constantly knock that mousepad off whenever the sliding keyboard tray closes?

This is actually my new set up.

13843322519810462630945.jpg

One of the Alesis monitor's tweeter's went out 3 weeks in so I got some M-Audio BX5a Deluxe's instead. I kept them out of the shelf cause I don't think that gives the bass sound hole in the back enough room to spread out. Please, feel free to make fun of the canned goods/book/towel method, iz all good.

Yeah, the widescreen monitor is actually propped up by a stack of sticky notes so it fits a little better :) Sucks I can't use the actual monitor spot of the desk, but the screen real estate makes it worth it! The mousepad actually works pretty well because I have the sensitivity of the mouse high and I don't have to move it far beyond the side of the tray where the pad overhangs. That is, until my girlfriend sits at the chair :x

I have hammered so many nails into the desk and that's the only remedy that I foresee it will need to last a long time... I have broken the thing so many times, especially where the keyboard tray slides into. I have faith avaris! We brothers can't disband man... but if we must, we won't forget you :'D Just lemme know when you put her down and I'll take a shot over here in the states for the beast.

My decision to get a corner desk was purely practical. I haven't had a studio space that wasn't in my bedroom since high school, and when I bought this desk it was placed as shown here. There were literally 3 inches between it and the bed and no other desk would fit in that space, so it was actually a perfect choice (a choice made after a trip to WalMart with a measuring tape).

Corners have their pros and cons. I don't like the difficulty setting up a dual monitor setup, but I love the accessibility behind the desk. Because of the triangular space between the back of the desk and the wall corner, I can go under and look behind my computer or hardware without moving anything. I'm going to miss that when I finally get a room big enough for a great desk.

I wish that was the case. This poor desk has been through 5 moves and is over 6 years old. :(

I'll be moving twice in the next 3 months, so it would have to make it through 2 moves. Alas I shall have a parting drink with my desk though.

Oh. I see. You've had faith, and now it's time to put her to rest. Well ♫ This one's for my homies ♪♫ RIP WalMart desk.
I have hammered so many nails into the desk and that's the only remedy that I foresee it will need to last a long time... I have broken the thing so many times, especially where the keyboard tray slides into.
OMG, that thing breaks constantly on me. Actually the worst part for me is that the screws for the metal rails rip out of the particle board of the keyboard tray if I put too much pressure on the tray (say, if I slam my fist against the tray after dying the 12,000th time in Call of Duty). I've had to re-drill holes in the rails 5 times now :) Edited by Harmony

Corners have their pros and cons. I don't like the difficulty setting up a dual monitor setup, but I love the accessibility behind the desk. Because of the triangular space between the back of the desk and the wall corner, I can go under and look behind my computer or hardware without moving anything. I'm going to miss that when I finally get a room big enough for a great desk.

The mixing desk I have is on casters. So, it's not too difficult to get behind it if I need to without too much effort. Most of the time I don't have to, though, since I have a patch bay set up as well as a snake that goes to all of my mic preamps. I knwo exactly what you mean, though. I always had issues with accessing things when I had stuff set up in a small apartment.

OMG, that thing breaks constantly on me. Actually the worst part for me is that the screws for the metal rails rip out of the particle board of the keyboard tray if I put too much pressure on the tray (say, if I slam my fist against the tray after dying the 12,000th time in Call of Duty). I've had to re-drill holes in the rails 5 times now :)

My next desk, I'm going to use kitchen cabinet rails rather than those cheap drawer rails. I don't have issues with redrilling holes into the particle board, but I do have it with the wheels bending and the keyboard tray starting to lean downward at a 10 degree angle.

I have an L-shaped desk and it's bugging the hell out of me. I bought it really cheap, but the desk really doesn't allow me space for my 61-key controller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So it is less of a studio and more of...well, a small corner of the livingroom, but it is what I got for the time being. It's all crowded in for the family photo. The acoustic guitar and the mandolin are not mine, I just didn't want them to feel left out.

img0006q.jpg

I would LOVE very much to have a permanent set up / actual studio space. I move too often. Oh well, by the time I get one, I might even be able to use it efficiently... :P

Dude, you've got some sweet stuff there. I'd love to read a rundown of what's in the picture.

Certainly sir!

Where to start though!

Intsruments left to right:

Mandolin: not mine

Accordian: 40$ garage sale pickup, works perfectly!

Cort electric guitar: don't know the model: 18th birthday present!

Jackson JS30KV, only with duncan designed pickups

LTD AVATAR-EX

Takamine Acoustic Guitar: not mine

Hardware:

Acer 8930G laptop and LG 24in LCD

Optoma projector in the box.

Bererdynamic DT 990 pro headphones

MAudio Xponent dj controller

Line6 KB37 Midi keyboard / usb interface

Bose L1 Series II with 2 sub units

Bose T1 Tonematch mixer / usb interface

Shure SM48 Mic

Shure Beta58 Wireless / PGX24 reciever

Some 30$ Audio Techinca mic

Berhinger 4 channel mixer

2 Stylophones

Digitech RP250 multieffects pedal

Boss MicroBR

The blue case on the left is my adapter kit full of all sorts of audio adapters.

like 300 feet of cat5 cables under the table

some Match Picks :)

A bigass bastard sword

Software:

FLstudio XXL

PCDJ/VJ

MAudio Torq

I own my own DJ company (I am the only employee) and thats why I have that bose system kicking around. It is very multifunctional. It doesn't take up space, so I can use it at home, and yet just one of these is enough to dj for well over a hundred people. Plus they are EASY to set up and take down. I recommend one to anyone who is looking for versatile live performance monitors/speakers. It certainly doesn't replace a good set of studio monitors from a production standpoint, though, hence the headphones.

My dream once I get my own place is to set up a sweet jam/recording space somewhere. I've got a good start on filling it with equipment. Haha, that way I won't be the one always driving 40 minutes with all my stuff! :grin:

Certainly sir!

Where to start though!

Intsruments left to right:

Mandolin: not mine

Accordian: 40$ garage sale pickup, works perfectly!

Cort electric guitar: don't know the model: 18th birthday present!

Jackson JS30KV, only with duncan designed pickups

LTD AVATAR-EX

Takamine Acoustic Guitar: not mine

Hardware:

Acer 8930G laptop and LG 24in LCD

Optoma projector in the box.

Bererdynamic DT 990 pro headphones

MAudio Xponent dj controller

Line6 KB37 Midi keyboard / usb interface

Bose L1 Series II with 2 sub units

Bose T1 Tonematch mixer / usb interface

Shure SM48 Mic

Shure Beta58 Wireless / PGX24 reciever

Some 30$ Audio Techinca mic

Berhinger 4 channel mixer

2 Stylophones

Digitech RP250 multieffects pedal

Boss MicroBR

The blue case on the left is my adapter kit full of all sorts of audio adapters.

like 300 feet of cat5 cables under the table

some Match Picks :)

A bigass bastard sword

Software:

FLstudio XXL

PCDJ/VJ

MAudio Torq

I own my own DJ company (I am the only employee) and thats why I have that bose system kicking around. It is very multifunctional. It doesn't take up space, so I can use it at home, and yet just one of these is enough to dj for well over a hundred people. Plus they are EASY to set up and take down. I recommend one to anyone who is looking for versatile live performance monitors/speakers. It certainly doesn't replace a good set of studio monitors from a production standpoint, though, hence the headphones.

My dream once I get my own place is to set up a sweet jam/recording space somewhere. I've got a good start on filling it with equipment. Haha, that way I won't be the one always driving 40 minutes with all my stuff! :grin:

I can only vaguely form words because I'm extremely jealous of your guitar supply. The first guitar I ever wanted was a Jackson, but it was too expensive for me. I've never got around to owning one...

Good show, sir! Very awesome stuff there!

Add some stylish holiday socks to that and my Christmas list is done.

Stylish Christmas socks! I don't have any of those either! Must add to list...

I can only vaguely form words because I'm extremely jealous of your guitar supply. The first guitar I ever wanted was a Jackson, but it was too expensive for me. I've never got around to owning one...

The local Cash Canada (pawn shop chain minus most of the typical pawn shop sketchiness) had a manager there who was a real wheeler and dealer. He'd give me 30% off pawn price or more if I bought lots of stuff. That is when I picked up that jackson for SO cheap. The AVATAR guitar came from a friend who begged me to buy it cause he needed the cash. He had paid a thousand for it a few months earlier and refused to take more than 340 bucks.

I also ended up with a practically brand new Ibanez STM-1 Sam Totman style guitar for 300. If it wasn't such a heavy and stupidly shaped guitar I would have kept it, but I sold it recently. Then realized afterward I was an idiot for not trading out the pickups! They were some slick dimarzios. I'm still a bit chapped about it, hehe.

But yeah, all this to say I have had some exceptionally good fortune in the guitar department. If it continues I may have to consider hooking a brother up...