OCR Cribs (the "Post Pics of your Studio Area" thread!)

Home studio set up, picture in link, could not for some reason get it working as direct image URL paste here:

http://postimg.org/image/b0qwnp9fz

Computer & DAW

• Windows 7 64-Bit, Intel i-7 4970K 4.0Ghz processor, 24Gb RAM
  • Fl Studio 12

Hardware

• BeyerDynamics DT880 Pro Headphones
  • Novation Launchkey 61 MIDI controller
  • 2 LG televisions for main (47") and secondary (32") screen

Software/Samples

• Kontakt 5 including the most important libraries for me currently which are: Action Strings, Action Strikes, Session Strings, Studio Drums
  • Nexus for virtual pianos and guitars
  • Serum for most melody, growl and other sound designs
  • Massive for some drone, growl and effect designs
  • Sylenth1 for some lead and arpeggios designs
  • Vengeance Essential House and Dubstep for most beat designs (apart from Studio Drum beats in Kontakt 5 and orchestral drums for compositions in Action Strikes) with the kicks, snares, hats and rides

• 2 weeks later...

@Esperado: That small thingy on the external hard drive, next to the headphones? That's my wifi ;)

@AngelCityOutlaw: Yeah the previous tenant had a knack for green (there's some on the opposite wall as well). Unfortunately, he vanished really fast when he was supposed to re-paint them white after moving out. I don't care, I'll move out when I'm done with Uni and since he didn't paint, I don't have to as well!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My space after recently getting around to actually setting it up. Not complete, but it works for the moment. 

Starting off with the DAW itself. A couple of HP ZR22w monitors, Neumann KH120A for monitoring, a Drawmer MC2.1 monitor controller, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, and a pair of VU Meters from Crookwood. The computer itself is a custom built rig (i7 4770k, 32GB RAM, GTX 780, 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 2x 1TB HDD, in a Fractal Design Define R4). You can see the side of it on the bottom left. It is a really plain looking computer. However, when I turn around is when things get fun. 

XBGKJkw.jpg

Two tier keyboard stand with a Roland SH-201 and a Korg DS-8 (this thing actually needs work: new battery, keybed cleaned due to some sticky keys, Sysex dump, etc . . .)

40kz6eK.jpg

Synth rack! From top to bottom: Korg Radias, Roland D-110, 2x Yamaha TX81z, Korg TR Rack, E-MU Pro/Cussion, and finally an Access Virus Rack at the very bottom.

nZzttOD.jpg

Other synth rack, well more like a single synth and a patchbay (currently unutilized as I need to think of the best way to use it). The synth for this one is a Vermona DRM1 mkIII.

hjhYcUY.jpg

Synth table!!! So, at the bottom is a 22-space Synthesizers.com Modular. Pretty much the Studio 22 one except with the addition of a Q167 LFO++ Module for a bit more modulation options. The top left is a Ladyada x0xb0x (TB-303 clone). Currently attached to it is a ProCo Rat for some Acid. I also have a Boss MT-2 that isn't pictured, but it is chilling to the right of the Alesis QX25. In the middle is a Dave Smith Instruments Mopho. 

YVAHL1i.jpg

You could see just a little bit of this guy in the last picture, but this is my mixer a 40+4 Channel SoundCraft Series Two (nicknamed Priscilla by the person who helped me to lift it because it weighs about 150lbs or 68kg and is the better part of 5ft wide or 1.5m). To my ears, generally neutral, pretty quiet, and ample headroom (can handle more level than my converters). 

5w9usCK.jpg

And behind me is basically the DAW. Though I forgot to snag a picture of it, the rack between the mixer and keyboard stand is a processing rack. From top to bottom: Alesis MIDIVerb IV (Multi-effects), Kurzweil Rumour (basically a reverb machine), 2x Symmetrix CL-150 (compressors), Alesis 3630 (compressor), Alesis MicroVerb III (multi-effects), ART Pro VLA II (compressor), and finally a patchbay that is being used . . , yay? Under the mixer are its power supplies. And no you don't want to know the amount of cabling that went into this. All synths are controlled via MIDI and to do that I'm utilizing an Alyseum AL-88c which is behind the modular. And this is also why I haven't been working on my track Odai (sorry :-(). 

VL52c3s.jpg

On September 15, 2016 at 6:28 PM, APZX said:

My space after recently getting around to actually setting it up. Not complete, but it works for the moment. 

<various pictures of super cool gear>

Duuuuuuuuuude. Fun stuff! I ran sound on a Series Two for several years at my church, that's a fantastic board. Also have that same computer case, too, haha. Thanks for sharing!

On 9/15/2016 at 9:28 PM, APZX said:

Starting off with the DAW itself. A couple of HP ZR22w monitors, Neumann KH120A for monitoring, a Drawmer MC2.1 monitor controller, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, and a pair of VU Meters from Crookwood. The computer itself is a custom built rig (i7 4770k, 32GB RAM, GTX 780, 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 2x 1TB HDD, in a Fractal Design Define R4). You can see the side of it on the bottom left. It is a really plain looking computer. However, when I turn around is when things get fun. 

XBGKJkw.jpg

Two tier keyboard stand with a Roland SH-201 and a Korg DS-8 (this thing actually needs work: new battery, keybed cleaned due to some sticky keys, Sysex dump, etc . . .)

40kz6eK.jpg

Synth rack! From top to bottom: Korg Radias, Roland D-110, 2x Yamaha TX81z, Korg TR Rack, E-MU Pro/Cussion, and finally an Access Virus Rack at the very bottom.

nZzttOD.jpg

Other synth rack, well more like a single synth and a patchbay (currently unutilized as I need to think of the best way to use it). The synth for this one is a Vermona DRM1 mkIII.

hjhYcUY.jpg

Synth table!!! So, at the bottom is a 22-space Synthesizers.com Modular. Pretty much the Studio 22 one except with the addition of a Q167 LFO++ Module for a bit more modulation options. The top left is a Ladyada x0xb0x (TB-303 clone). Currently attached to it is a ProCo Rat for some Acid. I also have a Boss MT-2 that isn't pictured, but it is chilling to the right of the Alesis QX25. In the middle is a Dave Smith Instruments Mopho. 

YVAHL1i.jpg

You could see just a little bit of this guy in the last picture, but this is my mixer a 40+4 Channel SoundCraft Series Two (nicknamed Priscilla by the person who helped me to lift it because it weighs about 150lbs or 68kg and is the better part of 5ft wide or 1.5m). To my ears, generally neutral, pretty quiet, and ample headroom (can handle more level than my converters). 

5w9usCK.jpg

And behind me is basically the DAW. Though I forgot to snag a picture of it, the rack between the mixer and keyboard stand is a processing rack. From top to bottom: Alesis MIDIVerb IV (Multi-effects), Kurzweil Rumour (basically a reverb machine), 2x Symmetrix CL-150 (compressors), Alesis 3630 (compressor), Alesis MicroVerb III (multi-effects), ART Pro VLA II (compressor), and finally a patchbay that is being used . . , yay? Under the mixer are its power supplies. And no you don't want to know the amount of cabling that went into this. All synths are controlled via MIDI and to do that I'm utilizing an Alyseum AL-88c which is behind the modular. And this is also why I haven't been working on my track Odai (sorry :-(). 

VL52c3s.jpg

......TheChargingRhino has stopped working.

That is  A LOT of stuff....and I thought I was good with FLS by itself...

5 hours ago, Flexstyle said:

Duuuuuuuuuude. Fun stuff! I ran sound on a Series Two for several years at my church, that's a fantastic board. Also have that same computer case, too, haha. Thanks for sharing!

No problem! Also, you're the first person who has ever really acknowledged that these boards exist that I've talked to. I was genuinely impressed with just the amount of features on offer from this board when I snagged it. Sure it may be a "Live Sound" board, but it does a perfectly fine job with all my synths and even the preamps are pretty darn good! Not that I'm some super snob about pres or anything, but they do actually sound pretty good. 

15 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

......TheChargingRhino has stopped working.

That is  A LOT of stuff....and I thought I was good with FLS by itself...

Let me be the first to say that most of this is used. The mixer I nabbed from a company that was in the process of upgrading to digital boards. They had two when I went over, my Series Two and an Allen & Heath ML5000 56 Channel. They were both the same price, $800, but I couldn't fit the ML5000 in my Blazer so I got the Series Two instead. Plus the flight case for the mixer, two power supplies in a flight case, and well yeah pretty much everything for it lol. It'll be easier for me to say what I bought new rather than what I bought used.

The Roland SH-201 was bought new, really good for pads and aggressive leads, but it can do a few other things too and is super fast to program. The Korg Radias-R because I didn't buy the version with a keyboard, and in essence it is like a poor man's Virus. Really versatile synth. Dave Smith Instruments Mopho. I LOVE THIS THING! You can still find them for really not a whole lot and they're stupidly powerful little synths. Tons of sonic capabilities in that little yellow box. Synthesizers.com modular. This is thing cost me more than my computer and after getting to grips with it the thing is insanely flexible. After that it is basically my two distortion pedals, a bunch of cables, and a patchbay. Pretty much everything else was purchased used. I mean you can find Alesis 3630s commonly for less than $100, sure they're not the best sounding but they don't sound that bad. 

A D-110 can be had for anywhere from $50 - $100 and is a super flexible 80s ROMpler with 8 individually addressable instruments PLUS a rhythm section. The old Yamaha FM synths can be had for about the same cost. Both my TX81z's cost me like $80 each. Search your local classifieds. You never know what will pop up. I bought the D-110 and TX81z's from Japan, which necessitates a transformer because they're 100v devices instead of 120v. 

For the record I still use FL for sequencing and controlling all the synths. This is just a completely different approach to making music. In some ways a bit easier, and it others a bit harder. If I use a TX81z for a bass then that is all it is doing. I can't just call up a second or third instance of it for some killer FM E-pianos. Having said that, at this point I'm still trying to wrap my around loading the mixer and what exactly I can and cannot do with it. I've been doing covers of older VGM just to help wrap my head around it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2016 at 7:14 PM, BKM said:

Gosh, that's one heck of a setup APZX!!!

That is years and years of building up. I've had that SH-201 for like 7 years now. The Radias for like 6. The DRM1 is probably the newest addition at only like 4 or 5 months old. It takes time to get all the hardware. I mean I had that mixer sitting around for about 2 years before I was actually able to get the funds together to start hooking up everything, and I still need more. When I say you don't want to know the amount of cabling that went into this I'm not joking. It seriously took me a whole day just to wire this up without running everything into patchbays like I should. The synths are plugged straight into the line-ins on the mixer. 

However, I ultimately want to run a hybrid setup so that will necessitate a lot more cabling as I'll want to normal through DACs to the line-ins, which will mean that I'll need enough patchbays to cover all the line-ins (40 mono inputs, 4 for the stereo, and 8 more for the effects returns which means a total of 52 points on patchbays). That then means at a minimum for cabling just from the DACs to the patchbays to the mixer I'll need double that. This doesn't even get into the processors or synths and their associated cables. Patchbays themselves aren't terribly expensive ($60 - 70 for some Behringer ones, and the Samson S-Patch Plus is like $120, but it is really well built). Individual cables aren't too bad, if you build them yourself with Amphenol connectors that is about $4 for a standard 1/4" TRS and then depending about $0.19/ft for some Canare L-2B2AT. This does require you know how to solder. Having said that, if you buy the cables from Monoprice of the length you want you're only going to save about $0.25 to $0.30 a cable on average. Sure a synth may cost $700 - $1,500, but the cabling will easily start to run into that territory if you've got a lot of them. And I do want more synths lol. Need to get the desk built for the mixer though :P That is coming in the near future (hopefully). 

Here let me give an example of what I've been able to muster with this tonight. 

This Beach from the SNES game Plok. I've been doing covers like this for a bit now just to help wrap my head around what I can and can't do yet. In this case I'm using 9 of synths. Even for the SNES the intro for this song is pretty darn epic. The basic list breaks down like this:

Main Organ: TX81z | Strings: TX81z | Big Bass Intro Hit: Mopho | Brass: D-110 (layered with the Mopho) | Bass: x0xb0x through a ProCo Rat | Lead: Radias | Guitar: TR Rack | Clavinet Arp: SH-201 | Drums: DRM1

There is a lot I can do, but still so much yet to learn. Like rather than rely on compression for the kick or bass I used EQ and drove the inputs of the mixer to get a compression like effect. I'm still learning this whole setup, and it is a total blast. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'll bite... here's my humble studio. Since most of the stuff is in software you hardly see anything. If you want specs: retina iMac 2014, Akai Advance 61 controller, JBL LSR305 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones, Komplete Audio 6 interface and a Samson C03 mic. On the right you see the neck of my Pacifica 611 that I'm still learning to play.

studio3.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...